PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Buying Car, have questions.

uwilluz
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
So I may be buying an '89 2.5L Sundance w/ A-555.

It has 168K on the clock.... I'm told it runs great, has a brand new fuel pump.

Haven't gotten the chance to test drive it yet, however.... If I pick the car up... what should be the first things I go over and/or replace to ensure that it is reliable?

In other words, what should I do to make this car reliable BEFORE I start any kind of performance mods?

I know w/out knowing/seeing the vehicle it's hard for you guys to say... but what are the main things I should be concerned about checking and/or replacing?

thanks in advance.

Bardo
05-23-2006, 12:39 PM
rust e-brake cable, make sure the oil in the 555 is toped off

jckrieger
05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Hmm, if it has a new fuel pump, replace the ASD relay, as I've seen a few of those go before... especially at that mileage. After that, I would run a hose around the trunk and in tow cowl area of the car and find all the leaks... you'd be amazed where water can get in. Finally, I'd look over the wiring harness and look for chewed wires. Fix anything before it becomes a problem.

Personally, I've only been stranded due to bad fuel pumps, so I woudln't worry about the other stuff too much. Maybe keep a spare SMEC in the trunk.

tryingbe
05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Check engine compression before buying.
Change the rubber fuel lines, makes sure you use fuel INJECTION lines.
Check/change brake lines, pads, rotors,etc.
Check/grease/change rear wheel bearings
Check/replace timing belt, check cam timing, ign timing
Check for oil leak, coolant leak, p/s fluid leak.
Change the brake fluid if it's dirty.
Replace fuel filter.
Replace all plastic vaccum line to rubber vaccum line.

That's all I can think of now.

uwilluz
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd have to replace the wiring harness at some point... when I popped the hood there was a mouse in there looking at me, :p

Also, the interior smells a bit musky, so I know it's leaking water from somewhere.... but it hasn't sat for long from my understanding. Not long enough to start to rust as far as I know....

Lee'sdaytona
05-26-2006, 03:26 AM
Keep a spare MOPAR HEP in there

rare_ram
05-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Make sure the engine fan works.