PDA

View Full Version : My R/T is back on the road again!

Blue Iroc R/T
05-22-2006, 10:57 PM
For those that don't already know, I had a crack in my TIII head that was NEW from Chrysler (with Aluminium Core Plugs. read $5,000+ warranty repair) in Feb. 2001 and only had 18,000 miles on it. http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/blue_rt_head I bought a freshly repaired head from "PoOh" last fall. (Thanks Pascal!) Over the winter, I collected all the gaskets & parts that I would need for the job. Then I started tearing it down on May 13th. I got it back to running yesterday, BUT, it made a LOT of lifter noise. I drove it for about 15 miles hoping that the lash adjusters would pump up. No luck. Came home from work tonight and pulled the valve covers to see if I could see anything. ALL of the intake rockers looked dry. As in not getting any oil. The Exhaust rockers seemed fine. While talking to a local TD'er on the phone, Bruce suggested that maybe the rocker shaft was rotated 180 degrees. It sounded logical for what I was looking at. So, I pulled the rocker off and sure enough I had installed it with the oil holes out. :o Rolled it around and re-torqued it, put the valve covers back on and they pumped up within a couple of minutes. Took it for a drive and WOW! It screams now! I'm still similing. It also runs quiet, like it use to. Anyway, I'm glad to have my R/T running and not smelling like antifreeze evertime I pull up to a light.
BTW, I didn't have any problems at all in getting the cams timed once I got the correct size pins. I used (2) #13 (.185") Drill shanks cut to 1 1/2" length. The 3/16" pins were just too tight in the cam gear holes. Had to use vise grips to pull them out (with the head on the bench yet). The Timing Belt tension checked out at 110 when I set it. Then checked it again after I drove the 15 miles and it checked out at just over 100#. It sounds good now.

BIG PSI
05-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Ralph,

Glad to hear that you got the R/T back on the road. so does that mean you and I are going to some Car Shows together soon ???:D

Chuck

Austrian Dodge
05-23-2006, 05:02 AM
glad to hear that ralph!!!

Mike_Shepard
05-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Awesome man. Cannot wait to see it :).