PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic Connector, which wires are needed?

minigts
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Well I thought I had all the correct wires run for the diagnostic connector, but there seems to be on other wire I need. There is one for the ASD relay signal that comes from teh computer and goes to the ASD relay. Is this wire needed for the diagnostic tools? Just need to know so I can complete my dash install. :)

The wires I have so far are:

BK* Signal ground from the SMEC
DB Ignition Feed Input
PK From the computer
LG From the computer
DB/YL ASD Signal

Input appreciated. :)

EDIT: I wrote the wrong supply for the DB wire, corrected now.

minigts
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I guess for the SMEC signal ground, can you use ANY ground?

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
All of them! :eyebrows:

minigts
12-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Well I'm asking about the ground in the second question. The one from the computer or any ground?

risen
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Well I thought I had all the correct wires run for the diagnostic connector, but there seems to be on other wire I need. There is one for the ASD relay signal that comes from teh computer and goes to the ASD relay. Is this wire needed for the diagnostic tools? Just need to know so I can complete my dash install. :)

The wires I have so far are:

BK* Signal ground from the SMEC
DB Ignition Feed Input
PK From the computer
LG From the computer
DB/YL ASD Signal

Input appreciated. :)

EDIT: I wrote the wrong supply for the DB wire, corrected now.

I know there are some diagnostic tools that will ground that line to preform fuel pressure tests by grounding the ASD and running the pump. Older snap-ons will do it.

I haven't looked at the exact schematic of the wiring, but I believe it's done so that either the ECU can ground the ASD or your scan tool, and they did it with the minimum amount of wire. I can get you a schematic from 87 or 89 if you'd like.

Any ground should work, as long as you're only looking to actuate the relay. The signal from the ASD to the ecu is a voltage signal taken from the output of the relay.

minigts
12-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Well I have the sheet, it's below. I'm just not sure if the ground wire HAS to be from the computer or not. I think I still need the ASD wire for the signal, so I need to pull that one into the car as well. :(

Sorry, added the diagram for the 2.2 turbo. The other is for the 2.5, but it's the same, just a different position of the connector on the page.