PDA

View Full Version : Can i use this smec in my 89 t1 2.5 van?....

tsiconquest88
12-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok so i finally found a 5 speed smec to swap into my 5 speed van. It was auto. I want the right smec. Anyway this is what the smec is from will it work and yes i have A/C and power steering- can i use this thing before i buy it?..

89 Spirit ES
2.5 T1 5spd
no a/c, no pwr anything

jory
12-01-2009, 09:24 PM
yes but no a/c might be an issue, i think the relay operates through the computer. Why not socket your stock smec and burn a stock 5 spd cal? If you dont care about air conditioning then you will be fine. but if you do the compressor may not run with it.

iTurbo
12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Should work OK, but A/C....not sure. The SMEC has inputs for the A/C clutch (pin #45) and A/C clutch relay (pin #56) but it very well could be that all SMECs had A/C functionality and cars without simply didn't get the associated wiring. Maybe somebody else knows for sure.

tsiconquest88
12-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Jory- cus doing that costs a lot right? thats what i thought. where in ny are u anyway man?

turbovanmanČ
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
It will work but if the a/c doesn't work, you can rechip your old computer then you can at least drive your van for now.

Also, the case is different so you might have to cut off the plastic snorkel that goes to the air cleaner to make it fit.

iTurbo
12-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Or just swap cases.

tsiconquest88
12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
yea thats another thing i was wondering. If the 5 speed one im getting would fit inside my old case.

Simon, i can drive my van, i just dont have the correct drivability with the auto smec over the 5 speed since i swapped to 5 speed and been using the auto smec. OH btw i have a 20 gallon tank simon lol. If you remember a post where we discussed that like a year ago lol. Yea its been this long for me to realize but i finally had my fuel get that low to see what it takes. I usually always fill my cars at half or so according to gauge.

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Or just swap cases.

You can but its a b*tch removing the potting material from the case without smashing or breaking it. It isn't a big deal to cut off the snorkel a bit, :thumb:

yea thats another thing i was wondering. If the 5 speed one im getting would fit inside my old case.

Simon, i can drive my van, i just dont have the correct drivability with the auto smec over the 5 speed since i swapped to 5 speed and been using the auto smec. OH btw i have a 20 gallon tank simon lol. If you remember a post where we discussed that like a year ago lol. Yea its been this long for me to realize but i finally had my fuel get that low to see what it takes. I usually always fill my cars at half or so according to gauge.

See above on the case.

Wow, 20 gallons, super rare, ;)

Mine maybe takes 17 if I run it dry and let the pump click a few times.

What are you getting for mileage?

tsiconquest88
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
i get a little over 400 miles to the tank out of it, BUT since i thought i had a 15 gallon or so i was all excited cus that would be getting up just shy of 30 mpg roughly. BUT with this said im right at 20 lol. Mileage has still gotten much better since the 5 speed. Probably go up even more if i was using the right 5 speed for the vans lol. im using a 520 and should be a 568.

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
i get a little over 400 gallons out of it, BUT since i thought i had a 15 gallon or so i was all excited cus that would be getting up just shy of 30 mpg roughly. BUT with this said im right at 20 lol. Mileage has still gotten much better since the 5 speed. Probably go up even more if i was using the right 5 speed for the vans lol. im using a 520 and should be a 568.

400 gallons?????? :wow1:

Yeah, I should swap to a 5 speed as my mpg is awful, :(

Captain Chaos
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
400 gallons?????? :wow1:

Yeah, I should swap to a 5 speed as my mpg is awful, :(

Yeah, sounds like it makes gasoline.

tsiconquest88
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
actually i meant i get over 400 miles to the tank lol. mistyped.

jory
12-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Jory- cus doing that costs a lot right? thats what i thought. where in ny are u anyway man?

All you need is a soldering iron and a cheap socket from some electronic supplier. You might be able to buy a chip for it from somebody on here. I'm in Utica :thumb:

tsiconquest88
12-09-2009, 09:34 AM
solderin iron i have (power probe butaine soldering torch) but no socket, didnt know ot was cheap to do it urself. Well i found a 30 shipped smec from someone on TD so thats pretty cheap too lol. I used to go to utica all the time. about 2 and half hrs from me or so.