PDA

View Full Version : Specifically what turbo is this and will it work

rhubbard
05-22-2006, 07:37 PM
I need to know if this turbo will work on my 88 lancer shelby. This thing has a different compressor housing and wheel than mine. my turbo doesn't have the bolt holes and on my wheel some of the fins are lower than the others. If it'll work than I'll just swap on my comp. housing, if not then i'll pass on it. Also, the wastegate is setup a little different than mine.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/30/50/27_3.JPG

http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/31/30/10_3.JPG

Whorse
05-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm sure with enough welding and cutting for custom mounts it could work.

rhubbard
05-22-2006, 09:03 PM
what welding would it require? it's a garrett t3 from a turbo dodge. it should bolt up?

GLHNSLHT2
05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
what motor is in your lancer shelby?

rhubbard
05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
2.2l TII

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2006, 10:23 PM
If the compressor wheels are the same size (ex. both stock) then you can swap covers & actuators no problem, just be careful and clean about it :thumb:

mark
05-22-2006, 10:25 PM
thats from a turboI car. You should be able to rotate the compressor housing to use it in a t2 car/setup.

GLHNSLHT2
05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
If it is a T2 car just swap compressor housings and wastegate actuators. I'd also use your Swing valve so the d'pipe will bolt up. Could you get a lancer shelby with a 2.2 T1 Mitsu in 88?

rhubbard
05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
aren't the TI turbos smaller and not as good?

rhubbard
05-22-2006, 10:37 PM
i think the shelby lancer used a TI, and it wasn't as good.

GLHS592
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Here's how to make it a turbo II turbocharger:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_con.html

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Both lancer Shelby and Shelby lancers used the Turbo II Garret T3 turbo.

As long as they are stock (or modded th esame), the Turbo I Garret T3 and the Turbo II Garret T3 have teh same wheels in them, only difference is housings... see my turbo tech page (http://www.badassperformance.com/mtech/turbotech.html) for more info

BARRON
05-22-2006, 10:51 PM
THIS........

http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/31/30/10_3.JPG

CAN BE THIS....

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/420000-420999/420349_79_full.jpg

I am gonna BOLT ER IN AND FLY!

GLHNSLHT2
05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
yeah but if he's got all the T2 parts it's the easier way to go.

puppet
05-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Not 100% sure but that wheel looks like a MP+ wheel. If so, T2 housing swappage is out. ... but BARRON's method will work. Good turbo to grab. If it's what I think it is probably has the .63 turbine housing too. That will be stamped on the inside of the exhaust housings inlet.
Measure the compressor inlet against your T2 inlet to be sure.
Some minor work will get it to fit under the one peice just fine.

GLHNSLHT2
05-23-2006, 12:58 AM
The MP+ turbo's didn't have different wheels, They were just a .63 exhaust housing bolted on.

puppet
05-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah, they're bigger than the T2 and just under the S60 in size. (Same sized wheel as on the 16v T3's turbo's,)
They just machined the covers to get them to fit. Note the inlet's ridge ... a little smaller than a non machined inlet.

rhubbard
05-23-2006, 05:07 PM
ignore, go down

rhubbard
05-23-2006, 05:09 PM
so if it's a t1 then I can just swap the comp. housing? also, this turbo has no egr on it.

BadAssPerformance
05-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Yes. When you have both covers off, measure both wheels to make sure that they are the same.

rhubbard
05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
did anyone ever say what the difference was between the compressor wheels? on mine every other blade is recessed a little.

BadAssPerformance
05-23-2006, 11:49 PM
They are supposed to be virtually identical measurements if they are both stock. See previous links for info.

puppet
05-24-2006, 10:25 AM
For a quick measurement comparison between stock and not without having to take off the compressor housings just measure the inlet of the turbo you have pictured. (If you want to check the T2 cover ID you need to have it off the turbo so it can be measured from the inside .. because of the step down in the inlet)

A stock opening there, on the turbo you have pictured, is right around 1-11/16" in diameter. If it's been machined for a larger wheel like the MP+ style that will be around an 1/8" larger than stock or 1-13/16" The inducer diameter is the only difference between the two compressor wheels. Somebody else will need to comment on the shape of the fins.

tryingbe
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/index.php?cPath=111_114

If you don't feel like unbolting the turbo.

puppet
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Been doing some reading on the compressor blades.
From what info is out there it seems that the recontoured, equal length blades vs. the stock staggered length blades help improve airflow without overspeeding the turbo. The compressed air temperature is lower as a result.

GLHNSLHT2
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah, they're bigger than the T2 and just under the S60 in size. (Same sized wheel as on the 16v T3's turbo's,)
They just machined the covers to get them to fit. Note the inlet's ridge ... a little smaller than a non machined inlet.

Ok this has been bugging me for the last week or so. Everything I've read since 1998 when I started getting into TD's has said that an MP Plus turbo is just a stock turbo with a .63 housing. So since there's a bit of controversy over this I had to find out for myself and the fact that I just ripped a MP plus turbo off my 2.5 tona to drop a S60 turbo in it's place. I have the measurements at my shop if someone wants them but between a stock turbo and the MP plus turbo ALL measurements were the SAME. From the inducer to the exducer on both the the compressor and the turbine. Used a Mititoyo Digimatic set of calipers. I can break out the mic if someone has issues with it. The ONLY difference is the .63 housing on the exhaust side. Now if you go from a MP Plus to a true S60 the only difference is the compressor wheel and the housing is machined for the larger wheel.

puppet
05-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Ok this has been bugging me for the last week or so. Everything I've read since 1998 when I started getting into TD's has said that an MP Plus turbo is just a stock turbo with a .63 housing. So since there's a bit of controversy over this I had to find out for myself and the fact that I just ripped a MP plus turbo off my 2.5 tona to drop a S60 turbo in it's place. I have the measurements at my shop if someone wants them but between a stock turbo and the MP plus turbo ALL measurements were the SAME. From the inducer to the exducer on both the the compressor and the turbine. Used a Mititoyo Digimatic set of calipers. I can break out the mic if someone has issues with it. The ONLY difference is the .63 housing on the exhaust side. Now if you go from a MP Plus to a true S60 the only difference is the compressor wheel and the housing is machined for the larger wheel.Strange. Maybe I have the only one on the planet :P

On mine the compressor wheel isn't the same. Bought it from a member. He got it direct from Mopar. Had the .63 turbine housing like I expected and was a T1 configured compressor housing.

Like you, I had read that the only difference was the turbine housing and figured to swap my T2 cover on the compressor side. Took it all all apart to change from the smaller swingvalve ... 2.25" to the one off my T2 .. 2.5".
Laid the T2 cover over the compressor wheel and it wouldn't meet the backplate. Then I measured the housings and wheels. Seemed to remember them being .118" off at the inducer as well as them having a different blade profile. Researching the new wheel matched up size wise to a T3/16v turbo.
Not sure of the profile because I've not seen a 16v turbo up close. A note in an article on Gary's site under the S60 build up mentions the recontoured compressor wheel. The blade shape is a direct match.
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_s60.html

I had two choices .. have my T2 cover machined or use the T1 and modify it to fit along with the WG can/bracket mount. I could not find anybody local to machine the T2 housing ... bummer. It took more work to get the T1 configuration to work under the intake (WG can/arm) and to fabricate an inlet for the turbo. Lol, trust me, if I didn't need to do that extra work I wouldn't have.
Like I said ... I didn't buy it from Mopar. Maybe this was an option when ordered? MP turbo vs MP "plus" turbo? That might explain why your's is stock on the compressor side. Does your compressor wheel have recontoured blades? That's what struck me right off in the image the original poster supplied.

BadAssPerformance
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
There are two MP "Turbo plus" part numbers. One for the '84-'87 Turbo I and one for the '87+ T-II.

I always thought that they were both just supposed to be stock plus the .63 A/R turbine housing, but maybe one is different?

puppet
05-30-2006, 03:01 PM
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/perf/turbo.html
Russ states this size difference too.

GLHNSLHT2
05-30-2006, 08:33 PM
odd. Mine was also from mopar and had the tag still on the turbo when I purchased it. The part #'s matched. According to my 1998 MP catalog the MP Plus Turbocharger is just the .63 housing for "horsepower gains in the 6-7% area." They do mention the larger compressor wheel when talking about the Super 60 turbo above the MP plus turbos.

The article on thedodgegarage is talking specifically about the S60 turbo. Look at this page. http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_advanced.html

One thing I've found out though is that the S60 turbo is way better. I just went from my MP plus to an S60. And I get boost about 300rpms sooner with the S60 than I did with my MP plus. Yes wierd but true. I love this turbo. It spools quicker, pulls harder, and sounds like a semi turbo as it's spooling up. Nothing but thumbs up for it on my daily driver mild mannered 2.5 Tona.

puppet
05-30-2006, 08:53 PM
No doubt ... the S60 sounds sweet.
Wish this was off the car so I could snap a pic for you. Actually I still have some pic's of the turbo from the original owner's e-mails. Be happy to send them your way if you'd like.
Funny thing is I bought the turbo with the intentions of just using the center housing for my broken down T2. The bigger more efficient wheel was a (3) psi or so bonus over the stock turbo. Didn't expect it but no complaint either.