PDA

View Full Version : Shelby 924 gets some upgrades 10 second club

amoparacer
11-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Okay well for a week now I have been removing cutting relocating and putting on all the parts I have be hording. Dyno day is coming up. Turbos Unleashed is having Dyno days Dec 4 and 5 here in california. I will be bringing my car so if Im gonna get a new cal I figure its time to install all those new shinny and not so shinny parts before the tune. So I started by removing the battery and holder then the radiator I got out high speed cutter and moved the battery in front of the radiator. See pictures. I removed my Giant spearco and what seemed like 6 feet of tubing and Started making bracets for my new Water to Air IC see my aviatar. I am also switching to E85 so I installed my 120# injectors. Yes they are 120# click on thepictures and see the injector number. With E85 you need to flow 30 percent more fuel. I was running 83#s to the tune of 7.30 96.8 mph in the 1/8th with 1.66 60 foot time's. While I was installing my new injectors I took the opportunity to install my New Custom upper intake and a 58mm throotel body. Also on the table is a 22 quart water tank to cool the Water to Air IC. It will be holding dry ice at the track. Because of the E85 I bought and installed a new gas tank. They say E85 really cleans your tank out so for saftey I installed a new one and added a secondary filter just before the fuel rail. While the radiator was out I choose to replace it with an Omni AC radiator larger and safer with exstra cooling capacity. Also I replaced the old alternator with the smaller Nippondens one. This help's the radiator fit. I will be adding more pictures monday but here are a few for starters.

AMOPARCER

cordes
11-29-2009, 01:27 AM
That looks pretty good. Do you have any pics of the whole car? I don't think I have ever seen any before that I can recall.

amoparacer
11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I will post some monday oh look on youtube shelby 924 at Irwindale. I will go look for the link.

turbokid
11-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Ya pics would be sweet.
Sounds like a crazy set up.
What numbers are you looking for?

amoparacer
11-29-2009, 08:52 AM
10 seconds would be good. View the car at November 13 Irwindale. Do note I had 2 stupid people with me running the Mega cab truck in the races. They were to busy to get the 7.44 pass at 95. The week before I ran 7.30 at 96.8 when the next morning I was doing a visual before giving a neighbor A lil ride I noticed my air cleaner was not attached to the turbo inlet.:confused::confused::confused: Opps. So in the vid you are watching I could not remove the air cleaner. I needed a wrench the clamp was in an impossible spot. So now Im upgrading to a 4 inch air cleaner set up. Because of the GT30DBB with the anti surge housing the turbo inlet is 4 inch might as well use a 4 inch air tube and cleaner.:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Shadow
11-29-2009, 11:12 AM
10 seconds would be good. View the car at November 13 Irwindale. Do note I had 2 stupid people with me running the Mega cab truck in the races. They were to busy to get the 7.44 pass at 95. The week before I ran 7.30 at 96.8 when the next morning I was doing a visual before giving a neighbor A lil ride I noticed my air cleaner was not attached to the turbo inlet.:confused::confused::confused: Opps. So in the vid you are watching I could not remove the air cleaner. I needed a wrench the clamp was in an impossible spot. So now Im upgrading to a 4 inch air cleaner set up. Because of the GT30DBB with the anti surge housing the turbo inlet is 4 inch might as well use a 4 inch air tube and cleaner.:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Deffinatly feed a 4" inlet with a 4" mandrel intake tract. Went I set out to run 10's 4 years ago my formula looked like this; 100+mph in the 1/8th + 1.7X or better 60' ending with a 130mph+ trap speed = 10's. Things I've learned since then, 330' time is more important than 60', time lost during shifting hurts you WAY more trying to run 10's than 11's!

54inches
11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I am new to these turbo mopars, but not to drag racing, so go easy on me. :)

I fail to see how the mods that you have made in post#1 are going to gain you 2 seconds in the 1/4.

IIRC, 7.30s are about a 12.00 1/4 mile.

E85, is def going to help and the added cooling and new intercooler will help, but I do not see 10 seconds, (11.40s maybe) but I know nothing about your vehicle.

Can you post some info in your sig? Thanks!

Good Luck!

2.216VTurbo
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I think it is a pretty lofty goal too 54 but that's what goals are for right;)? Set the bar high... 7:36 is already about an 11:40 and with the dyno tune and reconfiguring the inlet for the turbo I think +50 HP is pretty resonable. that should get him close plus he did a few chassis mods for a better launch soooo:thumb:

contraption22
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Im not sure how to answer this poll, because none of the options are answers to a question.

But that said.

I'm wondering if you will need that extra cooling capacity when running E85, as that will cause the engine to run much cooler itself.

But I am wondering about the intercooler. 22 quarts of fluid, plus what is in the intercooler and hoses, plus the pump. You are probably going to be adding 50+ lbs of weight to the car over a good air-to-ar setup, on a car that is running mostly alcohol for fuel anyway. Im not sure if the pros outweigh the cons. I have seen some turbo drag cars running on alcohol that don't bother with an intercooler at all.

Shadow
11-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Two biggest things that stick out right off the top of my head. 1st, is it a 5 spd or auto? If it's auto than you need pay NO attention to my formula.....it's for stick cars. 2nd, how is your exhaust running off that turbo? If you don't have at least a full 3" mandrel exit coming off your turbo it's going to be harder. ;)

rx2mazda
11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Im not sure how to answer this poll, because none of the options are answers to a question.

But that said.

I'm wondering if you will need that extra cooling capacity when running E85, as that will cause the engine to run much cooler itself.

But I am wondering about the intercooler. 22 quarts of fluid, plus what is in the intercooler and hoses, plus the pump. You are probably going to be adding 50+ lbs of weight to the car over a good air-to-ar setup, on a car that is running mostly alcohol for fuel anyway. Im not sure if the pros outweigh the cons. I have seen some turbo drag cars running on alcohol that don't bother with an intercooler at all.

+10

Seems like you went backwards on the IC mods. Like, if you were switching from E85 to gas you should upgrade your IC not the other way around. But hey, cooler charges never "HURT" but the weight will.

If your goal is to be in the ten second club do what eveyone else seems do be doing lately, just install NOS, and get it over with. Or better yet 16V with NOS.

OUCH! LMAO you gonna take that PAT, REEVES, MIKE, ETC???? :evil:

54inches
11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I think it is a pretty lofty goal too 54 but that's what goals are for right;)? Set the bar high... 7:36 is already about an 11:40 and with the dyno tune and reconfiguring the inlet for the turbo I think +50 HP is pretty resonable. that should get him close plus he did a few chassis mods for a better launch soooo:thumb:

I don't think the goal is lofty, just the present changes he's made and expecting 10s with said changes. A 7.36 is closer to a 12.00 or 12.10 by my calculations.

I was also thinking about the larger radiator and A/W IC adding additional weight. Water alone weighs 8 lbs per gallon.:thumb:

Again, good luck and post some specs on the engine, tranny suspension, etc....

mock_glh
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't think the goal is lofty, just the present changes he's made and expecting 10s with said changes. A 7.36 is closer to a 12.00 or 12.10 by my calculations.

What formula are you using? The usual factor is 1.57. That puts a 7.30 1/8 mile at 11.46 1/4 mile. That's less than half a second from 10's. Granted he's making a lot of changes at once and it may take a few trials to get it sorted out but there's defiitely enough hardware to do it.

54inches
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
What formula are you using? The usual factor is 1.57. That puts a 7.30 1/8 mile at 11.46 1/4 mile. That's less than half a second from 10's. Granted he's making a lot of changes at once and it may take a few trials to get it sorted out but there's defiitely enough hardware to do it.

Oh you are right, I am not sure why I have 1.65 stuck on the brain, but it is 1.57.

I digress, apologize and I wait the scheduling of my public flogging!:D

BadAssPerformance
11-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh you are right, I am not sure why I have 1.65 stuck on the brain, but it is 1.57.

I digress, apologize and I wait the scheduling of my public flogging!:D

I'm not sure about calculations...

I don't think the goal is lofty, just the present changes he's made and expecting 10s with said changes. A 7.36 is closer to a 12.00 or 12.10 by my calculations....

From our database... 7.36 1/8 gets you 11.20's

http://www.turbo-mopartimes.com/

amoparacer
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
OKay lets get this right My car has run the best at 7.309 at 96.87 (not 7.36) 7.309 at 96.8

but that will all be short lived because on saturday I will be at california speed way 1/4 mile and let it all hang loss with my new stuff and my new dyno tune by Turbos Unleashed Paul Velliky. Im looking for 7.1 at 102 AND 10.90 AT 135 THERE NOW YOU ALL HAVE ME WITH MY PANTIES IN A BUNCH.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

contraption22
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
OKay lets get this right My car has run the best at 7.309 at 96.87 (not 7.36) 7.309 at 96.8

but that will all be short lived because on saturday I will be at california speed way 1/4 mile and let it all hang loss with my new stuff and my new dyno tune by Turbos Unleashed Paul Velliky. Im looking for 7.1 at 102 AND 10.90 AT 135 THERE NOW YOU ALL HAVE ME WITH MY PANTIES IN A BUNCH.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it tuned on an intertia dyno or a load dyno?

DodgeZ
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Says something for hooking up!!! My SRT ran a 7.8 at 96.8mph last week.

102 in the 1/8 IMO isn't going to net you a 135 in the 1/4 unless you are changing something once you get down the track some. Like more boost or a shot of the gas.

DodgeZ
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
One more thing.... Anyone else running 10's with power wondows? ;)

Lynn, PM me if you want me to clean up your project log thread and move this side trip discussion to a new thread!

I ran almost 97mph in the 1/8th. In a heavy SRT, front power windows, the spare tire, a 10" sub with AMP, and the wife's purse. :thumb: Does that count for anything??

Shadow
12-01-2009, 01:16 AM

If you go 7.1 @ 102 and finish with 135mph trap I will say you WILL see a 10. :thumb:

amoparacer
12-01-2009, 02:42 AM
The Dyno tune is this friday the 4th and I will let you know what kind of dyno they used. And all the stats unless I break a rod and Ill post video of that LOL.

dusterdude
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
good luck, hope to see some 10 sec pass videos soon!

BadAssPerformance
12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Thread cleaned up... The great nitrous debate moved here (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44845)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44845

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Subscribed.

Pat
12-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Good luck! I hope to see video, but not one of you windowing a block!

amoparacer
12-03-2009, 12:47 AM
10 /4 pray for my dyno day it is friday morning BTW

2.216VTurbo
12-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I took the head off the S today, four slightly moved fire rings on the gasket, no wonder it was pressurizing the radiator:o Will button it up tomorrow and be ready for dyno day Friday AND the track Saturday. Be cool if we could get a side by side pass:eyebrows:

amoparacer
12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey Al glad your going saturday. I will do every thing in my power to make a side by side and I will bring the video camera to boot and provide the Utub footage. Bring your A Game and stop wishing for my car to blowup on the dyno.:love:Lynn:nod:

Reaper1
12-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Good luck! I wanna know what happens!

amoparacer
12-04-2009, 05:01 AM
I will try to post video here also. We are both goin to the dyno in the morning I will get video of that also.

2.216VTurbo
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I should post a vid of coolant pumping out my muffler:mad: No I never made it to the dyno or the race. Fail:mad:

BadAssPerformance
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I should post a vid of coolant pumping out my muffler:mad: No I never made it to the dyno or the race. Fail:mad:

Ouch :( Been there

http://www.badassperformance.com/wallpaper/30au05_green-smoke_x.jpg (http://www.badassperformance.com/wallpaper/30au05_green-smoke.jpg)

Reeves
12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Ouch :( Been there

http://www.badassperformance.com/wallpaper/30au05_green-smoke_x.jpg (http://www.badassperformance.com/wallpaper/30au05_green-smoke.jpg)

Ouch!

I should have taken pics of a Neon I once built. While pouring coolant in a fresh build, I watched it come out the header. Car wasn't even started yet!

turbovanmanČ
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM

What happened?

OP, where are your results, :eyebrows:

Shadow
12-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Did this car dyno yeasterday? Never heard anything. :(

rx2mazda
12-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Ditto:confused:

2.216VTurbo
12-05-2009, 11:41 PM

Not yesterday and not today. I think Amoparacer ran into some unforseen hurdles but he didn't have to duck my calls today did he:p?

Dyno day was a success for a few cars. It just takes too flippin long to cal these cars. Some had 20+passes and no, I never got my turn and I left at 5:30 pm. Heck, they may still be there. I did see some gains of 50WHP/65TQ over baseline pulls so that's gotta be worth the $$.

Forza's sublime green 86 GLHS has never run like this since it's been built, 3rd gear is a joke even with the treadware 000 roadrace tires:evil: Heck even Todge's GLH-t is fast now. Good news for those guys anyway:o

I didn't shoot as many pics as i should have, DocFish, you had your camera out all day, got any good ones?

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Who was doing the tuning?

What happened to your car and how could you even dyno it?

2.216VTurbo
12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Who was doing the tuning?

What happened to your car and how could you even dyno it?

I'll leave the cal guys name up to that TU guy to disclose.

I brought the Yellow Masi TC to get a cal, it has some 72PPH's in it now and runs poopy rich at idle and during the part throttle boost schemes. Fortunatly WOT works perfect in nice cool air:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2009, 02:00 AM
I'll leave the cal guys name up to that TU guy to disclose.

I brought the Yellow Masi TC to get a cal, it has some 72PPH's in it now and runs poopy rich at idle and during the part throttle boost schemes. Fortunatly WOT works perfect in nice cool air:eyebrows:

Did drive 2 cars there? :confused:

johnl
12-06-2009, 05:00 AM
I had two cars there - stock 86 GLHS and T2 85 GLHT, 195hp@16# and 228hp@18#, both on 91.

2.216VTurbo
12-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Did drive 2 cars there? :confused:

S car is home in the garage, it was blowing coolant out after the HG replacement, no idea what the problem is but I suspect the block is either cracked or far from flat:confused2: Obviously I hope just decking it will fix it. That thing NEEDS to be in Vegas doing battle with some 800HP Shelby Mustangs in just a few weeks, gonna be wrenching some more all nighters I suspect. The coolant started pouring thru the turbo/header flange 2 minutes after I started it so I never drove it to the dyno shop, just pushed it back into the garage:( I drove the yellow TC but too many cars needed cals and since I missed my assigned tuning slot on Friday, TU and crew couldn't fit me in on Saturday.

Vigo
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I dig that brown/copperish van on crabs.. he/she a member here??

Sorry to hear about the several letdowns regarding GLHS and yellow TC.

2.216VTurbo
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I dig that brown/copperish van on crabs.. he/she a member here??

Sorry to hear about the several letdowns regarding GLHS and yellow TC.

Goes by DocFish here. Definate success story with the van. IIRC (and he can correct me if he posts in this thread) he started with 160HP/205TQ Rolled out with 197HP/242TQ. I was thinking he was gonna enjoy his drive back to San Diego and bunch more than the trip up:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2009, 03:12 PM
S car is home in the garage, it was blowing coolant out after the HG replacement, no idea what the problem is but I suspect the block is either cracked or far from flat:confused2: Obviously I hope just decking it will fix it. That thing NEEDS to be in Vegas doing battle with some 800HP Shelby Mustangs in just a few weeks, gonna be wrenching some more all nighters I suspect. The coolant started pouring thru the turbo/header flange 2 minutes after I started it so I never drove it to the dyno shop, just pushed it back into the garage:( I drove the yellow TC but too many cars needed cals and since I missed my assigned tuning slot on Friday, TU and crew couldn't fit me in on Saturday.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I thought you drove it there, then it puked.

Goes by DocFish here. Definate success story with the van. IIRC (and he can correct me if he posts in this thread) he started with 160HP/205TQ Rolled out with 197HP/242TQ. I was thinking he was gonna enjoy his drive back to San Diego and bunch more than the trip up:eyebrows:

That's a huge gain, nice work, :thumb:

amoparacer
12-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Okay I didnt make it through tech they closed i work for three days man this fab stuff takes time :(. The car is running very well how ever. Sorry about your motor Al. Are they running drags at Carols brithday.?? On the okay side Uglyoldomni ran 12.07 at 118 if I remember I am posting his run on youtube and will insert the link when Im done and some video of my work in progress at the track before tech closed. :( :( :thumb: