PDA

View Full Version : Grainger install issues

ScottD
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I've owned my R/T since 1998 and other than a K&N drop in and 2.5 exhaust, I've done nothing to it performance wise. I decided to install a grainger valve and air/fuel gauge.

I put a T in the line to the cruise control and this is my vacuum source for the grainger. Since the install, it keeps boosting to 18lbs of boost. Strangely it has only cut-out once, which makes me nervous. I don't want to blow 'er up!

Did I pick a bad vacuum source? I've kept turning the grainger out and the boost is the same, it almost feels like I've got no vacuum going to the wastegate can, but I know that hi temp hose for the grainger is on the can very securely.

Anyone have any ideas?

Scott
86 GLHS #408
89 Daytona C/S competition package
92 Spirit R/T
04 SRT-4
05 Neon SXT mtx
Walkersville, MD

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Maybe ,try a different vacuum source as close to the intake as possible. Got pics?

ScottD
05-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I was talking to a friend and he suggested that the vac lines to the cruise control might not be seeing boost. I think I'm going to try another vacuum source. It is acting like I have the can just vented to atmosphere. Why can't anything go right the first time I do it lately???? Thanks for the response.

Marcus86GLHS
05-22-2006, 02:36 PM
if turning the g.v. out produces no change in boost schedule then something for sure is wrong.....try removing the g.v. entirely and connect the two vac. tubing ends together.....if after this you are still getting too much boost then probably you are not getting the correct manifold pressure to the wastgate can (which i presume you know works correctly).

if removing the g.v. solves the problem then the g.v. isnt opening (ball isnt coming off the seat).

good luck.

btw on your list of cars: you got my (3) favorite TD's (glhs, 89 cs comp, spirit r/t), nice collection.

ScottD
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Wastegate can works fine, that I'm sure of. It worked fine for the last 8 years. I think my vacuum source is bad.

Thanks for the compliment on the list of cars. I'm in the process of building an engine for the Daytona which I was hoping to work on tonight if I can get the R/T grainger issue straightened out :-) These are my dream cars too, I'm thankful they're affordable and not priced like the RWD stuff!

Whorse
05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Doesn't the cruise control use the brake booster as its source?

ScottD
05-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Ok, I figured this out.

I tapped into the line off the brake booster BEFORE it got to the myriad of check valves. This solved the problem.

I had originally spliced into the vacuum lines AFTER one of the check valves. The line off the brake booster goes into a T fitting behind the cruise solenoid and then after that there are check valves.

All is well now. I'm getting about 12lbs in 1st and 2nd and in 3rd and 4th it is creeping up to 14ish.

Thanks to all who responded!

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Cool, good to hear you got it sorted out! :thumb:

Whorse
05-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Rock and Roll. Good note for the rest of us thinking about running bleeds.