PDA

View Full Version : a few unexpected things in the neon tranny

ottawa rogue
05-21-2006, 04:41 PM
i just got done tearing apart this 31TH that i had, i was looking for some upgrades:D
the carrier is shot, so that one went out the window, would have been nice to have the bigger diff bearings:(
it has the 5 pinion planetaries, and below those are another set of planetaries that have the cast carrier, so i broke even on that one:D
also noticed that it has 4 disc clutches in the front and rear clutch packs, i wasn't expecting that seeing how this came out of a base neon.
if i don't have them in my early tranny, i will now:D

Speedeuphoria
05-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah I think all of the newer ones got the 4 clutches, no matter what.
I have just taken the diff out of mine so far and it looks loke the pin walked since it has JB weld on both sides of right where I need to grind to put my OBX in. So that will make it easier.

ottawa rogue
05-21-2006, 09:32 PM
man, i'll tell ya i hope my trans doesn't look like this on the inside. there is a gash in the case a good .25 deep and the width of the pin. the pin is kinda chewed, and the carrier holes are definitely egg shaped. i just wasn't expecting to see 4 clutch packs. looks like it may have been swapped at one time, i found a '98 cast into the valve body.

timbowers
05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Got a ? for u guys i have a 96 neon automatic trans it dont want to move fast in first go to second its just fine is this a clutch pack problem?

Speedeuphoria
06-01-2006, 09:36 PM
is this w/ the trans in D(drive) or in L or 1st
try it it low and see if it works better