PDA

View Full Version : New '88 daytona c/s shelby z, what needs to be replaced?

savagebee
12-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I just purchased this car, and it needs a new head gasket. I completely trust the guy I bought it from, but it's been sitting for 3-4 yrs, and I figured if I was gonna change out the head gasket, I may as well do everything. I was wondering if anyone here had some pointers/suggestions as to what should be replaced and where should I get it from?

tryingbe
12-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Fuel, oil, tranny oil, coolant, brake fluid, p/s fluid, all vaccum lines....

And replace whatever seal that might leak after you get it running.

85shelbycharger
12-28-2005, 02:05 AM
Well along with the headgasket you should also put in new headbolts. Also in the headgasket changing procedure, you'll have to get a new valve cover gasket(s). If the car has been sitting that long, do what tryingbe suggested and replace all of those old fluids. I'd also suggest some new spark plugs and wires and draining and flushing the fuel tank.

3Bar_Mopar
12-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Might as well get a new fuel pump and filter. Drop the tank and clean it out.

Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, T-stat, water pump, check the freeze/frost plugs, coolant flush and new rad hoses, check the grounds...maybe change whatever fluid is in the trans, check the axle boots and seals, then install diff pin retainers.
With the HG change, it should run like a top.

LeGweg
12-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Get a Mopar Performance head gasket along with Mopar Performance head bolts.

If the car is still running, I would check the fault codes before taking it apart.

While the head/manifolds/turbo are out, I would install a new O2 sensor (Mopar) also.

GLHSKEN
12-28-2005, 09:51 AM
New fuel lines....

mo' parts
12-28-2005, 01:37 PM
im pretty much going throught the same thing right now, my car has sat for a couple years before purchasing it.
i didnt see a timing belt mentioned...
i would toss in a 180^ t-stat, if it doesnt come with the bleed hole, add it... it makes getting the air out of the system a breeze. (small 1/16" hole drilled in the stat, install with the hole up top).
if you happen to pull the ex./int manifolds, replace with a new gasket and use liquid teflon sealer on all bolts. some intake bolts enter the head bolt bosses, and some of the ex. bolts enter water jackets.
i think most everyone here has covered the basics.
most of your parts can be purchased at the dealer or through anyone of the vendors, my favorites are www.fwdperformance.com and www.turbosunleashed.com

savagebee
12-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys,. I had thought of replacing anything rubber, but hadn't thought about the thermostat or the head bolts. I appreciate it. If anyone thinks of something else, let me know. I know a little bit about a lot, so any help is really appreciated:D

savagebee
12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Can anyone tell me to tell if the car has a cross-drilled head without actually taking it off?

TopDollar69
12-28-2005, 06:56 PM
If its factory intercooled, it will have a cross drilled head. Otherwise it will not. Also Im a little confused about what you actually have, is it a C/S or a Shelby Z?

mo' parts
12-28-2005, 08:40 PM
If its factory intercooled, it will have a cross drilled head.
as long as its all original. as im finding out, my car does not have the 555, or the x-drill head. go figure:)

Lee'sdaytona
12-28-2005, 08:46 PM
A new alternator/water pump belt may not be a bad idea and if you have the extra $$ go for a MOPAR HEP (hall-effect-pickup, magnetic pickup disk under the distributer cap, as these are prone to failure)
Also as you are taking the head off, as you are removing different wiring connections, its not a bad idea to clean all the connections and maybe put some dialectric grease in there to keep water and other foreign liquids out of your connectors.
Lots of luck to you!
-Lee

savagebee
12-28-2005, 11:04 PM
I just found out something interesting. I was told that the car was an 88 c/s shelby, but it turns out that the car is a, 89 c/s competition. And from what I found on allpar, it is one of 269 c/s competitions made in 89! Cool huh:nod:

85shelbycharger
12-28-2005, 11:23 PM
I just found out something interesting. I was told that the car was an 88 c/s shelby, but it turns out that the car is a, 89 c/s competition. And from what I found on allpar, it is one of 269 c/s competitions made in 89! Cool huh:nod:

Sweet! Got any pics?

savagebee
12-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Not yet, going out there this weekend. Haven't checked the VIN yet, but it has the badge, the 15" wheels, and the intercooler. And the hood says "intercooled turbo". Im goin out there this weekend and Ill get some then. It's covered under about 6" of dust in a barn right now:thumb:

savagebee
12-29-2005, 05:11 PM
And I just noticed that it's sitting next to a spirit r/t! Talk about diamonds in the rough huh?!? That barn has one spirit r/t and 3 daytonas in it. A shelby, the c/s competition, and a pacifica:eyebrows:

R/T
12-30-2005, 01:50 PM
New fuel lines....

The FIRST THING you do after driving a TD home is *change the fuel lines*!!!

Old, cracked lines holding gasoline at 55psi, about a few inches from the hot exhaust manifold and turbo.

THAT is why you see burnt TD's at the junkyard... :(

Lee'sdaytona
01-01-2006, 04:03 AM
The FIRST THING you do after driving a TD home is *change the fuel lines*!!!

Old, cracked lines holding gasoline at 55psi, about a few inches from the hot exhaust manifold and turbo.

THAT is why you see burnt TD's at the junkyard... :(
That, or power steering fluid spraying onto the hot turbo:eyebrows:
-Lee