PDA

View Full Version : How quick - G Valve question

85_600
05-21-2006, 04:31 PM
How quick does the turbo spool up when using a G valve?

This isn't the typical asking of this question. Since my 600 runs much better when it's in boost I was thinking of using a G to help it last a bit long.

I may need to rent a car for when my Saturn (which I hit a deer with) gets fixed. Since I smoke I don't want to deal with the rental company giving me flak about the smoking so I thought why not use a G valve to get it into boost sooner, therefore being able to drive it easier than I can now.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Paul

P.S. If it does spool fast enough, then check out a post in the "Parts Wanted" section. If I get enough replies to justify getting one, I'll need on sooner than I'll be able to buy one. So, I'll be posting up to see if someone has one I can borrow, for about a week.

tryingbe
05-21-2006, 07:45 PM
As fast as the turbo can physically spool up.

Just run a vaccum line directly to the turbo and see for youself, it should give you about 6psi. Remember to remove the vaccume line to the boost control solenoid.

And if you don't have a boost guage, don't bother using a G-valve. Last thing you need is a dead engine.

t3rse
05-21-2006, 07:52 PM
i don't you don't want to do any work, but opening the exhaust is the easiest way to decrease spool-up time. you can safely run 10psi on your car which will help some. if you don't have a boost guage, get a 10$ pressure guage from a hardware store for an air compressor or welding regulator.

85_600
05-21-2006, 09:19 PM
My bad:o What I was wanting to know was, how much quicker does the turbo start to spool up, IE: How much quicker does the boost start to build compared to a stock setup.
The 600 drives much better when it's in boost so the quicker it gets there is better. I've heard that a G valve gets a car into boost quicker. Like I said, my bad:o

Thanks!
Paul

uwilluz
05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this.... but i'm pretty sure when I threw one on my 'tona, it started spooling about 300-400 rpm sooner.

85_600
05-21-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this.... but i'm pretty sure when I threw one on my 'tona, it started spooling about 300-400 rpm sooner.

Well, that's a start. LOL! It's so weird with the 600. When it starts acting up, it's only when it's at idle or cruising, especially at a slower speed, like around 25 - 35mph. BUT, once boost hits it's fine. I'm just looking for something very temporary - like for about a week. After that it's going to sit until I tear it apart this Summer.

Thanks!

t3rse
05-22-2006, 07:47 PM
yes, it will spool slightly quicker...slightly....

what it does is maintain 0 pressure on the wastegate side until boost pressure pushes the ball off the seat. this way, the wastegate is fully open until it needs to shut, not in half position like normal. boost will come on more violently, but a more open exhaust is the only way to make a big difference (well, without spraying something into the turbo to spool it).