PDA

View Full Version : Reeves' OMNI GLH-R Update!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Reeves
11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
So far I unloaded it from the trailer (from the Cecil festivities) and put it in the garage! :clap:
That's the start of my winter projects!!

I like this project log thing. Hopefully it will keep me motivated to keep working on the car so I can post pics!

Plans for the winter (although seem minor) are:

-old 3" exhaust is rotted and has holes. Replace with 4" aluminum exhaust. That equals weight savings plus bigger plus won't rust away (may rot away?). While I'm at this, I'd like to add ATP's ultimate swingvalve (see pic). I already had ATP tech measure the i.d. and it will match my old S-6152 wheel as well as my new S-6262 wheel and have a lot more sealing *meat* that my current Turbonetics 5 bolt swingvalve housing has that has been HOGGED out to match the wheels.

-while at the above I have an idea for a wastegate acutator. Stay tuned. Even if it's a failure, I'll post it.

-get the solid lifters that I got at the beginning of 09 season in and set and see how they work.

-may send head to my buddy Steve to have all checked out and freshened up. Maybe I can sweet talk him into setting my solid lifters for me.

Don't think the motor/trans is coming out this year :clap:

minigts
11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Where is the pic? :(

Reeves
Attached picture, but got a duplicate message warning. So here it is again.

Reeves
Where is the pic? :(

Damn you are fast!

BTW, got your dash.

minigts
11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Damn you are fast!

BTW, got your dash.

For Menegon? If so, just let me know where to ship it.

omni_840
11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Looking forward to updates:nod:

Reeves
11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
got your dash.

For Menegon? If so, just let me know where to ship it.

I have a dash that I picked up from Kelly Gomer to give to you and you are asking if it is for Menegon and to let you know where to ship it? Someone needs to lay off the bong water.......not sure who....but one of us does....

Reeves
11-19-2009, 08:12 PM
A little history:

Dyno this spring with S-6152 turbo on new shortblock/trans and new 72's. Getting new stuff dialed in a little. Dyno would not let us do a 4th gear pull due to speed. We found out later we may be able to raise the speed limiter on the dyno. Doh!

Reeves
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Dyno this past Friday 11-19-2009. S-6262 turbo and 96pph injectors. Also advanced cam 2 degrees and picked up about 25 ft/lbs of torque. Biggest help was it had a lot of track time and that Warrened-Out tuning! This dyno is 3500 lbs. Not sure what previous dyno was, need to find out, but for some reason I was thinking it was 2200lbs. Found an interesting problem that will need to be fixed over the winter. In 4th gear at around 5700 rpm we kept getting a bad breakup/miss. Took us about 3 hours, but between Bob Brady, Joe Marra, Mike Marra, Steve Menegon, Tim Pettijohn, Warren Hall (via phone-a-friend) and myself we figured out it was speed related! When the logic module sees 127 mph it turns on the staging rev-limiter once again! DOH!!! So the only quick way to get around it was to do 3rd gear pulls once again.

BTW, this is NO spray on either dyno.

EDIT: Added Tim Pettijohn to the list above! Sorry Tim!

Shadow
11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Very COOL to see a more accurate dyno of your PB! From the way you were describing your PB there was NO way that other dyno was accurate up top. Just goes to show you, dyno's are a lot like a box of chocolates.......

DBB mini
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Very nice. I like atp's ultimate internal wastegate, anxious to see your wastegate actuator idea....:nod:

BadAssPerformance
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
subscribed :thumb:

BoostedDrummer
11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I saw the videos of your GLH up on YouTube. Very nice:thumb:

turbokid
11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow thats a killer omni.
And your hp and tq are almost matched.
Thats tight :thumb:

cordes
11-19-2009, 10:59 PM
In on one. You may not be the only one motivated by this log.

lotsaboost
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Great googly moogly! A hatch with silly torque!

Chad T
11-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Sweet! Look forward to reading more and more pix! One of my favorite turbo dodges.

minigts
11-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I have a dash that I picked up from Kelly Gomer to give to you and you are asking if it is for Menegon and to let you know where to ship it? Someone needs to lay off the bong water.......not sure who....but one of us does....

lol Man I thought you wrote CASH!!! :D Cool deal. I asked Ken if I could keep it there, but if you don't mind holding it, I'll get it from you the next trip up there.

Thanks man!!

Turbo3Iroc
11-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Jon, when you get that in a car you need to have a plaque made for it. "The dash of misunderstanding!" haha

turbo2point2
11-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Great job on the dyno numbers and the progress James! It was great to see the omni get down the track this past weekend. Keep up the good work in '10:thumb:

mario03SRT
11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
James,

Still going to go with a 60mm TB setup? I bet the car will really respond to a larger breath or air. You have the fuel fo sho.

How is that Tranny Case lookin Brah?

Marion

Ondonti
11-20-2009, 07:57 AM
In the face of those who said it cant make power past 6k.
Vindicated again.

I didnt know ATP made a cast wastegate housing. How does this one compare to the old ATP welded wastegate housing that others have used? Better design? Cheaper?

Ondonti
11-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Very COOL to see a more accurate dyno of your PB! From the way you were describing your PB there was NO way that other dyno was accurate up top. Just goes to show you, dyno's are a lot like a box of chocolates.......
Its pretty clear on the 72's the ECU was pulling timing because it was going lean.
Oh the street thats probably not the case because traction doesn't exist at that power level. At the track He is only in the leanout area of 4th at the very topend of the track because 25" slicks are going to be growing to 26" or 27" at the top end.

Thats a reason why the dyno is nice for tuning/testing certain things.

Reeves
11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
James,

Still going to go with a 60mm TB setup? I bet the car will really respond to a larger breath or air. You have the fuel fo sho.

How is that Tranny Case lookin Brah?

Marion

Possibly. I have some other little things to do to the car that I’ve had on my list of things to do for the past few years (some cosmetic, some fixing little issues, etc). I’d like to get those done, even though they won’t make much of a difference, if any.

Also, I have replaced all of my intercooler piping with thin wall aluminum, except for the last pipe that goes to the throttle body. It has some compound bends, my BOV mount, and (2) 1/8” NPT ports, so I never got the time to duplicate it yet. I’m going to try to get that done, and I would like to retire the Talon BOV and upgrade to a HKS or something.

Also if I have time, I will be removing the gearset from the trans to take a look-see. Trans will remain in car.

I didnt know ATP made a cast wastegate housing. How does this one compare to the old ATP welded wastegate housing that others have used? Better design? Cheaper?

ATP said it’s basically the same. Same price.

Shadow
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Its pretty clear on the 72's the ECU was pulling timing because it was going lean.
Oh the street thats probably not the case because traction doesn't exist at that power level. At the track He is only in the leanout area of 4th at the very topend of the track because 25" slicks are going to be growing to 26" or 27" at the top end.

Thats a reason why the dyno is nice for tuning/testing certain things.

That may be true, my point being that "real world" track #'s will always be more accurate than a dyno. Unless you happen to be on a dyno that is tuned to replicate real world resuts. In which case they will be very close.

rx2mazda
11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
nice, a PLOG of my favorite Omni! Keep up the good work.

Mario
11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Mine cracked after 20,000 miles. Not having a flex pipe probably didn't help. I'm going to take it off and weld it here in a week or so when I start to re-do the car.

glhs875
11-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Vindicated again.

Doesn't look like it's peaking past 6K, but it most certainly has ALOT of power past 6K!!!! I would take a PB like that! No wonder the car runs 10's!:nod:

Reeves
11-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks man! And Thanks to all the others for the kind words!

Mine cracked after 20,000 miles. Not having a flex pipe probably didn't help. I'm going to take it off and weld it here in a week or so when I start to re-do the car.

Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of the crack? Did you contact ATP about it? AFAIK they don’t make the fabricated sheet metal one anymore. The cast replaces it.

turboshad
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Looking great Reeves!! I agree the second dyno looks much better. It's too bad you couldn't really load it up in 4th. Do you have a current breakdown of what your setup is comprised of?

30 PSI SHADOW
11-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Attached picture, but got a duplicate message warning. So here it is again.

make sure you get the stainless one, they made a change to that recently..

30 PSI SHADOW
11-20-2009, 12:16 PM
this is the one on my rampage

Turbo3Iroc
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM

I think they went to the cast version after the success of the SS model to save production costs.

The cast is a better flowing piece. Where I spent a couple hous grinding on mine to make the SS transitions as smooth as possible, it seems to be already on the cast model.

make sure you get the stainless one, they made a change to that recently..

I don't think you have a choice.

contraption22
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM

You hate me, don't you? Or is my car your favorite Horizon :)

Sokay. Reeves car is my favorite Omni too.

LOL!

Turbo3Iroc
11-20-2009, 12:31 PM
You hate me, don't you?

LOL!

I heard him say it too Mike! :lol::D

R/T
11-20-2009, 01:21 PM

LOL!

I thought it was a Rabbit....... :p

Mario
11-20-2009, 01:32 PM
I'll post you a pic this evening. Wow what a jump in price from the welded unit to the cast unit. I think the welded one was around 60.00USD.

contraption22
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I'll post you a pic this evening. Wow what a jump in price from the welded unit to the cast unit. I think the welded one was around 60.00USD.

Are ya sure? $60 is close to the prices I have seen for just the 5 bolt flange in some places.

Austrian Dodge
11-20-2009, 02:18 PM
great numbers reeves!!

btw, i have the cast piece too, can't wait to install it!!

Pat
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM

I have a welded ATP piece and it was definitely not $60 when I bought it. As Mike said, the flange alone can be close to $60. I think I paid about $160 if I remember correctly.

Reaper1
11-20-2009, 02:25 PM
WOW...that is all...

rx2mazda
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
You hate me, don't you? Or is my car your favorite Horizon :)

LOL!

:lol: Sorry, Black is my favorite color! Your car is definitely my favorite Whorizon, bar none!:p

I heard him say it too Mike! :lol::D

You heard nothing, shut it ;)

I have a welded ATP piece and it was definitely not $60 when I bought it. As Mike said, the flange alone can be close to $60. I think I paid about $160 if I remember correctly.

It surely was never 60$!

1BADVAN
11-20-2009, 05:13 PM
anuyone have a link to info on this ATP part? Is it a Chrysler bolt pattern?

Reaper1
11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Call me a moron, but is Reeves running a 2.2 or a 2.5? I don't remember! :(

contraption22
11-20-2009, 08:06 PM
anuyone have a link to info on this ATP part? Is it a Chrysler bolt pattern?

Nope, its universal T3 bolt pattern, some people call it "ford" bolt pattern.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-023&Category_Code=BCS

Directconnection
11-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Vindicated again.

Brent.... it was "PEAK" power.... which it fell short of the 6k mark. But, it certainly makes great power up to the 6,500 mark, I'll admit. For the record... there's not many sohc 2.2/2.5 engines out there like Reeve's.

There was an argument on TD about 4 years ago between myself and another member (whom I won't mention) that said no 8-valve 2.2 will ever make 500 whp like I claimed. Never did I think it would be a 2.5 though!

Great job Reeves.... you're carrying the 8V flag for the community :thumb:

mario03SRT
11-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Brent.... it was "PEAK" power.... which it fell short of the 6k mark. But, it certainly makes great power up to the 6,500 mark, I'll admit. For the record... there's not many sohc 2.2/2.5 engines out there like Reeve's.

There was an argument on TD about 4 years ago between myself and another member (whom I won't mention) that said no 8-valve 2.2 will ever make 500 whp like I claimed. Never did I think it would be a 2.5 though!

Great job Reeves.... you're carrying the 8V flag for the community :thumb:

Aluminum Rods FTW!

BadAssPerformance
11-21-2009, 09:06 AM

I seem to rememebr said argumant and the SMP 8V running low nines at about the same time... This makes me want to build another 2.2L 8V! :o

8valves
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I seem to rememebr said argumant and the SMP 8V running low nines at about the same time... This makes me want to build another 2.2L 8V! :o

You've got the basis to build a nasty one with your recentyl aquired parts!!

Come back to the antiquated side, ha! Just wait, pretty soon there will be an 8V blow-through carb setup. Okay, maybe not.

Shadow
11-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Also advanced cam 2 degrees and picked up about 25 ft/lbs of torque.

Nice, I've also had gains from advancing the cam.

Reeves
12-21-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=599445#post599445

cordes
12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=599445#post599445

I know that one is not on the stands around here otherwise I would pick it up for sure.

Reeves
12-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Check your gas stations. That's where I found it. My Mom found it at Target.

It's made by Auto Trader Classics.

cordes
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Check your gas stations. That's where I found it. My Mom found it at Target.

It's made by Auto Trader Classics.

I will double check the stand at the grocery store when I go there in a bit. :thumb:

turbospirites
12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
TTT for Reeves :clap: damn 500 hp w/o nawws :D

Reaper1
12-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Very nice, Mr. Reeves!! :thumb:

Reeves
12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys!

ohiorob
12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
got mine yesterday :hail::hail::hail:
now you're going to have to buy a bigger helmet :p

Reeves
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
got mine yesterday :hail::hail::hail:
Now you're going to have to buy a bigger helmet :p

lmao!!!

Reeves
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Got some new parts in. Unfortunately, the bottle brackets won’t work where I wanted to put the bottle. Too bad, because they are sexy! Talked to BADANDY about them last night and we’ll be using it on his car one of these days! (More sexy parts to add to his collection in my shop)
I came up with a different way to mount the bottle that will still be easily removable and angles the bottle about right. In the pic, it doesn’t look that sturdy, but believe me, it’s pretty solid. The back of the bottle is up against the floorboard and where the floorboard comes up to meet the bottom of the back seat. The strap is holding the front of the bottle up and keeps it from moving side to side. The bottle heater is also shown in the pics.

The swingvalve is the ATP Ultimate. The downpipe is ATP also, but is currently BADANDY’s. I’m gonna see how it fits on my car, and then consider buying or making a copy.

The nozzle is a Predator made by Cold Fusion and purchased from Nitrous Direct. If anyone purchases one of these, be aware that they are bare aluminum and NOT black anodized as their website shows. Also please be aware that 2 out of the 8 jets I ordered still had brass shavings in the holes, and that the nozzle still had aluminum shavings still in the holes with the nozzle holders installed. I (luckily) decided to tear it apart to inspect it and found these shavings before I installed it. I emailed Nitrous Direct and was told that the nozzles have been natural aluminum since 2009. I missed getting a black anodized one by 6 days I guess :rolleyes: and that the shavings were normal and should be removed before using :rolleyes:

Also got some protection for my nitrous button as in a RPM Window and TPS WOT switch by NOS.

I want to get the bottle mounted where I want it, before I start adding cage.

There’s a shot of the beautiful 120A alternator I got from Lugert with internal regulator. I plan to install and redo the wiring harness. I can now remove 1 of the field wires, and the other field wire will just be ignition hot. Also plan to run a heavier gauge wire from alt to bat and a different way to run ground.

Also (not pictured) is a Summit fuel pump wiring harness to use for my electric water pump. I’ll be running these wires in the same front harness.

There is an aluminum box from www.customaluminumboxes.com that I'm going to weld up to make a horizontal catch can out of.

Captain Chaos
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I like that bracket. Did you find it at Summit?

30 PSI SHADOW
01-14-2010, 11:39 AM
nice choice of beer! Athough light? hmmm saving calories.....

Reeves
01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I like that bracket. Did you find it at Summit?

No, but I forget the company name now.. I think it was Linko or something like that.

nice choice of beer! Athough light? hmmm saving calories.....

You got it! I got to get rid of some of this.....um.....baby fat....yeah, that's the ticket.

turbovanman˛
01-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Aiming for mid 9's? :nod: :partywoot: :rockon::wave1::number1:

Reeves
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Baby steps......baby steps. Aiming for consistency right now.

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Nitrous isn't consistant..... :confused2:

turbovanman˛
01-14-2010, 03:20 PM

You had it, consistant 10's, :hail:

csxtra
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Nitrous isn't consistant..... :confused2:

For Reeves it is...it has become the "Easy Button": If the slicks let go in 2nd, short shift to third...bog...hit the easy button...salvage the pass:thumb:

Reeves
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
For Reeves it is...it has become the "Easy Button": If the slicks let go in 2nd, short shift to third...bog...hit the easy button...salvage the pass:thumb:

EXACTLY what I was going to say!

"Hold on to your a$$!"

tommy
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
that was easy lol.

turboshad
01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/rx7nos2-1.jpg

85glht
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM
you are going to be busy this winter :thumb:

rx2mazda
01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I was wondering how you made out with customaluminumboxes. He was very helpful and accurate when I ordered mine.

R/T
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
And by the Sam Adams LIGHT bottle in the swingvalve pic, James is also working on his personal HP / weight ratio.... :p

Reeves
01-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I was wondering how you made out with customaluminumboxes. He was very helpful and accurate when I ordered mine.

Thanks a TON Carroll for recommending this guy! He was great to work with and I'm sure I'll be working with him again!

And by the Sam Adams LIGHT bottle in the swingvalve pic, James is also working on his personal HP / weight ratio.... :p

:thumb::nod:

rx2mazda
01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks a TON Carroll for recommending this guy! He was great to work with and I'm sure I'll be working with him again!

No problem! You can't beat his prices for aluminum boxes, PERIOD and the quality of the box is great...even comes with the protective plastic adhered to it. I was thinking about asking him to start making some DIY catch can set-ups for our community. I'm sure he could make a simple baffle plate and include it with the box, you just need to get it welded up.....back to you thread, sorry:o

Reaper1
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I would like more info on that alternator! What application is it from and what modifications are needed to use it on our cars?

turbovanman˛
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I would like more info on that alternator! What application is it from and what modifications are needed to use it on our cars?

Anything newer to around the late 90's early 2000's and its a bolt on. Lugert sells them brand new.

Reeves
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Anything newer to around the late 90's early 2000's and its a bolt on. Lugert sells them brand new.

Except that I had Lugert add an internal regulator to mine.

Also, you may need some brackets, wiring harness to add to earlier vehicles.

Reeves
02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Been a while since I updated, but I've been slow the past few weeks to get anything done to the car. Been busy on straigtening out my basement (a TM Walmart!).

Added a flat pin style connector to my ribbon cable that plugs in the ZIF socket in the LM. Fits WAY nicer! Chip now back in glove box. Put a nicer kick panel over the LM and wiring. Looks nice...stock.

While doing that, I bumped my head on the glove box door and the glued on knob fell off.....again. Did some fancy drill/tapping and it now has a screw on the inside. Looks nice...stock.

Fixed a fuel fitting Sunday night that should have been replaced 2 years ago. Anytime the car sits for a while, the fitting would leak, but after it leaked a little bit, it would quit for a while. I had tried to replace last year, but the fitting I got wouldn't fit my hose. So, this year I had another fitting, that fit the hose and the rail, but the 90* radius was just a bit bigger and was hitting the throttle body. Ended up using a 45* fitting in the rail and a 45* hose end and now it is better than it was before. Plus I already had the parts in my shop! Sweet deal!

Also removed the back part of the rear seat for some work. Weighs 20lbs. Right now.

Removed cover and started drilling spot welds.

Fired the car up and let it warm up a while. OH THE SMELL OF RACE FUEL BURNING!!! I was running around like a kid with a new toy! Adjusted the idle and checked timing. Then opened the windows to let some of the fumes out and drank a celebration beer!

cordes
02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Make sure to post some pics of your rear seat mods. That sounds interesting.

Reeves
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Make sure to post some pics of your rear seat mods. That sounds interesting.

Will do. I took 8.5lbs out!
Need to finish de-burring tonight, then test fit the foam and cover back on. Mom Reeves is going to replace the white cover on the back with a cotton black cover. Will look way better in the trunk area!

cordes
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Will do. I took 8.5lbs out!
Need to finish de-burring tonight, then test fit the foam and cover back on. Mom Reeves is going to replace the white cover on the back with a cotton black cover. Will look way better in the trunk area!

Wow, that is a lot of weight out of the seat. Even better, it is out of the back half of the car. Fantastic.

Reeves
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
As promised....here are some pics. I drilled all the spot welds and removed the back panel. That's where the 8.5lbs savings came in.

cordes
02-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the pics. I will need to look at mine.

Reeves
03-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Working on the new swingvalve, new exhaust, and new catchcan. Just got the final pieces made for the catchcan (no pics yet).

Pictured is my old swingvalve, downpipe setup. It's a Turbonetics Ford style swingvlave that has been WAY machined out to match the Stage 5 exhaust wheel. As you can see, there wasn't much sealing meat left, but it worked OK. I didn't like the 2.75" O.D. pipe that has a very sharp bend right out of the swingvalve. It worked fine, but I think the 3" ATP ultimate swingvalve and 3" 120* bend should flow better.

The pictured 3" downpipe from ATP is BADANDY's and was used to test fit.....although it didn't fit.

The 3" to 4" transistion pipe will hopefully be used to go into a 4" flex bellows and then 4" aluminum pipe down the middle and out the side.

contraption22
03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Very cool.

2.216VTurbo
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Looks familiar;) Keep the pics coming.

30 PSI SHADOW
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
kinda like this?? By the way, reeves using "hair" spray? LOL..... between the new downpipe and spray,better look out!!

Reeves
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
kinda like this?? By the way, reeves using "hair" spray? LOL..... between the new downpipe and spray,better look out!!

yeah! Kinda like that!
So which one did you go with?
The ATP downpipe hits my K-frame...and it's $175! Ouch!
Although, I just spent almost $300 in PARTS to make the downpipe I want! LOL :yuck:

Ondonti
03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
what method will you use to attach the downpipe to the aluminum exhaust?

Reeves
03-12-2010, 04:38 PM
what method will you use to attach the downpipe to the aluminum exhaust?

4" V-band

Reeves
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Hose nipples and drain for catch can

cordes
03-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Wow, those look like they will be good improvements. What kind of HP are you hoping for on the spray?

30 PSI SHADOW
03-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I went with the 120 degree pipe. then i cut it down as close as possible to the turn and welded the connector. fits perfect in an L body. Although this is a T3, i dont see a problem with an 8v.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Exhaust looks Great James! You should notice some nice transient gains with that 4" coming before the 90. Will be interesting to see if you can notice the decrease in spool time. (I'm thinking you'll see 1-200rpm difference)

I went with the 120 degree pipe. then i cut it down as close as possible to the turn and welded the connector. fits perfect in an L body. Although this is a T3, i dont see a problem with an 8v.

The T3 has an easier path for the downpipe in an L-body compared to an 8v. Turbo is lower and closer to going right into the tunnel.

badandy
03-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Nice!...still won't make the infamous "Tranny Busting" horsepower that my custom Cereal box port work or MSD wire swap did :p :lol:

Reeves
03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
ATP Ultimate Swingvalve installed. Had to do a cereal box template and some port work on the rear to totally clear the turbine outlet hole. Nothing major, and fit like a glove after word.

Drove it with 3" 90 degree pipe pointed straight at the ground. Sounds like crap at idle, but has a nice tone at cruise speed and during spool up. Took it to my buddies shop to start on cage. Had to drive in rain :yuck: but made sure I had the wiper arms on good before I left.......but forgot to check if the wiper motor still works or not :yuck: it didn't......

Pat
03-16-2010, 01:15 PM
So you did decide to cage it, eh? At Cecil you mentioned to me you didn't think you would. Glad to see you came around.

Reeves
03-16-2010, 02:14 PM
So you did decide to cage it, eh? At Cecil you mentioned to me you didn't think you would. Glad to see you came around.

I weighed out my options a little in my head. I never really wanted to go all out with the OMNI.....I would have rather built another car for that purpose..... Especially more aerodynamic and purpose built.

Then I started figuring that I would never have the time or the money to build another car...as much as I would love to.

The OMNI was built 1 piece at a time pretty much, which I had time and money for over the past 10 years.

So....today at lunch I drove to Blue Ash, Ohio and picked up (2) 20ft. sticks of 4130 1.75" x .083" chrome-moly tubing!

contraption22
03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
So....today at lunch I drove to Blue Ash, Ohio and picked up (2) 20ft. sticks of 4130 1.75" x .083" chrome-moly tubing!

Is that where Parker's Blue Ash Grille is? I hear ads on the radio for it all the time.

Shadow
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I weighed out my options a little in my head. I never really wanted to go all out with the OMNI.....I would have rather built another car for that purpose..... Especially more aerodynamic and purpose built.

Then I started figuring that I would never have the time or the money to build another car...as much as I would love to.

The OMNI was built 1 piece at a time pretty much, which I had time and money for over the past 10 years.

Amen brother! I came to this same conclusion myself about the Charger. This car was only supposed to bridge the gap, get me in the tens until the twin turbo was ready.

Now, if I ever finish the twin turbo, I'll be putting it on this car, would just take too long to build another one!

1984rampage
03-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Amen brother! I came to this same conclusion myself about the Charger. This car was only supposed to bridge the gap, get me in the tens until the twin turbo was ready.

Now, if I ever finish the twin turbo, I'll be putting it on this car, would just take too long to build another one!

Twin turbo 8 valve?! Sounds crazy

contraption22
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
I still haven't made that resolution yet. My Horizon just isn't decent enough to put anything into it that I can't transfer into another car at a later time. Looks like I won't be going much faster!

Reeves
03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Is that where Parker's Blue Ash Grille is? I hear ads on the radio for it all the time.

How do you hear ads for that way over there?

http://www.selectrestaurants.com/parkersblue/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/GLMFingRULES

Right!

contraption22
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
How do you hear ads for that way over there?

http://www.selectrestaurants.com/parkersblue/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/GLMFingRULES

I sometimes listen to 700WLW online while at work. They used to be on XM until last year, and I think Mike McConnell has a pretty good show.

Reeves
03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I sometimes listen to 700WLW online while at work. They used to be on XM until last year, and I think Mike McConnell has a pretty good show.

I bet you used to be able to pick up 700wlw on the radio years ago. It used to be the most powerful am station in the world! You could actually hear it in wire fences and some people claimed you could hear it in their teeth fillings!

Reeves
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
ATP Ultimate Swingvalve weighs 2.4 lbs.
Thanks to BADANDY for the leg work.
I already have mine mounted and forgot to weigh it.

Shadow
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Twin turbo 8 valve?! Sounds crazy

Something I started back in 96-97 and never finished. :(

turbovanman˛
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Did you have a roll bar in before?

Nice progress, :amen:

Reeves
03-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Did you have a roll bar in before?

Nice progress, :amen:

Yeah, I have a 5 point chrome moly.

ohiorob
03-17-2010, 06:59 AM

looking good :nod:

taking the charger off the street was a tuff decision but it gave me more freedom. no exhaust saved me 20lbs, no swaybar saved me 10lbs, no big radiator. it's not a full blowin race car by any means. i just got more options.

see you at norwalk in May ;)

Reeves
03-17-2010, 08:41 AM
looking good :nod:

taking the charger off the street was a tuff decision but it gave me more freedom. no exhaust saved me 20lbs, no swaybar saved me 10lbs, no big radiator. it's not a full blowin race car by any means. i just got more options.

see you at norwalk in May ;)

I'm not taking mine off the street.... Not yet anyway. I just got my insurance and registration on it for the year!

Which event is it in May? Is that one of the import races you were telling me about?

contraption22
03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I bet you used to be able to pick up 700wlw on the radio years ago. It used to be the most powerful am station in the world! You could actually hear it in wire fences and some people claimed you could hear it in their teeth fillings!

I think it's all part of my secret desire to move out that way someday. I guess I shouldn't have bought a house out here then.

Reeves
03-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I think it's all part of my secret desire to move out that way someday. I guess I shouldn't have bought a house out here then.

:banghead:

30 PSI SHADOW
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Reeves;638057]I'm not taking mine off the street.... Not yet anyway. I just got my insurance and registration on it for the year!

Dont You even think about it,or i will come out there and hunt you down! Street cars rule! My opinion is drag cars dont get the respect from me that street cars do.
Yeeaaahhhh brother! (hulk hogan voice)

turboshad
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Are you adding the cage onto your existing roll bar or starting over? Just curious why you went with 1 3/4". Should be sweet either way.

Reeves
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Are you adding the cage onto your existing roll bar or starting over? Just curious why you went with 1 3/4". Should be sweet either way.

Adding to the existing. Minimum I believe is 1 5/8", and I had already used 1 3/4" , so I just figured it would be easier and better looking if I kept it all the same.

Keito
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm not taking mine off the street.... Not yet anyway. I just got my insurance and registration on it for the year!

Which event is it in May? Is that one of the import races you were telling me about?

May 30 Sunday- Buschur Racing Sport Compact Nationals

Maybe?

ohiorob
03-18-2010, 05:59 AM
May 30 Sunday- Buschur Racing Sport Compact Nationals

Maybe?

Yup that's it.

ohiorob
03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=Reeves;638057]I'm not taking mine off the street.... Not yet anyway. I just got my insurance and registration on it for the year!

Dont You even think about it,or i will come out there and hunt you down! Street cars rule! My opinion is drag cars dont get the respect from me that street cars do.
Yeeaaahhhh brother! (hulk hogan voice)

Don't get me started :)

Reeves
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
After a run-around with Fed-Ex (they wouldn't leave the package on my doorstep without an IN PERSON signature.....geeze) I finally was able to pick up my exhaust pieces from ATP at the Fed-Ex distribution center yesterday at lunch.

So last night, I started cutting and tacking. Need to order my aluminum 4" now.

Also, my 10ft. stick of 1 3/4" exhaust piping should come in this morning. Gonna use that to mock up my front part of my cage (instead of the $6.17 a foot chrome moly!)

Shadow
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
After a run-around with Fed-Ex (they wouldn't leave the package on my doorstep without an IN PERSON signature.....geeze) I finally was able to pick up my exhaust pieces from ATP at the Fed-Ex distribution center yesterday at lunch.

So last night, I started cutting and tacking. Need to order my aluminum 4" now.

Also, my 10ft. stick of 1 3/4" exhaust piping should come in this morning. Gonna use that to mock up my front part of my cage (instead of the $6.17 a foot chrome moly!)

I'm completly confused, didn't you show a pic of your DP a couple pages back? :confused2:

Reeves
03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm completly confused, didn't you show a pic of your DP a couple pages back? :confused2:

That was BADANDY's downpipe. We're working on a complete engine for him, so it was laying in my shop, so I used it temporarily. It didn't fit well, but it got me able to fire up the car and get it to my buddies shop so we could start on the cage.

ohiorob
03-19-2010, 05:43 AM
what's next after the exhaust and cage ?

Reeves
03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
what's next after the exhaust and cage ?

catch can, new intercooler pipe and BOV, cage certification, NHRA license, possible new rear hatch (may have to wait), new clutch, go through the trans (check synchros and bearings, oil had a lot of brass), then RACE!!!

I should have the first two things done this weekend I hope.

csxtra
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Don't forget a new cal that doesn't cut out at 128mph...;)

Reeves
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Don't forget a new cal that doesn't cut out at 128mph...;)

That too!
And O2 wiring to get rid of the factory one.
And hopefully gear controlled boost!

30 PSI SHADOW
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
dont worry Rob, your car is still a street car in my book!

Reeves
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Saturday - finished up new intercooler pipe with Tial BOV and NOS jet bung. Need to tumble polish.
Worked on catch can. Just need to add some mounts to it and then tumble polish.
Ripped out interior and mocked up a halo for cage.
Then made real halo from the $ chrome-moly.

Sunday - notched and tacked halo to roll bar
Mocked an a-pillar bar.
Then made real a-pillar bars.
Notched and fitted driver side bar.
Ran out of 1/8" c.r.s. so called it quits.

Also included are pics of my buddies SCCA FE car.

Reeves
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
More pics:

badandy
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Tial blow off valve on aluminum pipe - check!
Custom Roll Cage mock up and design - badass check!
SCCA car - Mad at you for not taking me to see that check!

Must you make me so jealous? Looks good buddy! I can't wait to see it finished up! Call you sometime this week :thumb:

Pat
03-22-2010, 01:11 PM
What kind of bender are you using?

Reeves
03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
What kind of bender are you using?

Pro 105 with air over hydraulic conversion.

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Lookin good Reeves! :thumb:

Is the roof hoop high enough, looks kinda low?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21302&d=1269276308

Also... look out, you might have something swinging from yer nutz? ;)

Tial blow off valve on aluminum pipe - check!
Custom Roll Cage mock up and design - badass check!
SCCA car - Mad at you for not taking me to see that check!

Must you make me so jealous? Looks good buddy! I can't wait to see it finished up! Call you sometime this week :thumb:

badandy
03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21302&d=1269276308

We all know you are just as jealous as I am J.T...but I admit to it:o

Reeves
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Are you saying for head room, or a NHRA rule I missed?

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Are you saying for head room, or a NHRA rule I missed?

I dont have my rule book here but I'll check when I get home... supposed to be as high as possible, but if its over your helmet you should be good?

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
We all know you are just as jealous as I am J.T...but I admit to it:o

I dont think anyone is as jealous as you there swinger :D

badandy
03-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I dont think anyone is as jealous as you there swinger :D

Ooooh! ya got me! Okay fine, I'll admit I'm even envious of your car:nod:...but I promise not to hang from your nutz...I wouldn't want to crowd your sack:D

EDIT: I mean the same nutz as you:cheer2:

Reeves
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I don’t see anything in the rule book about the halo really. I see that the main hoop has to be at least 3” above your head, but not more than 5” (check) and not more than 6” away from the back of your helmet (check) but really don’t see where they state where to attach the halo, or even a halo height.

I sure hope I’m in “check.” I plan to try to get it certified before I paint or re-install interior.

contraption22
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice work!

turbovanman˛
03-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Damn dude, your flying, :amen:

csxtra
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM

This comment reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaR4LcLbW8I

1984rampage
03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaR4LcLbW8I

I lol'd

Reeves
03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Any ideas for new carpet? My current carpet is from my old 1990 Horizon (R.I.P.).

I want to get new carpet, and am thinking of going with AAC at Ebay. About $170 shipped.

Any experience/comments/suggestions?

Also, what color? Interior is factory red/maroon. Old carpet was the same.

turbo2point2
03-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I think the halo is probably good at it's height. Mine sits about the same and cert'd just fine. The a-pillar bars look good. Should walk right through cert:thumb:

Reeves
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I think the halo is probably good at it's height. Mine sits about the same and cert'd just fine. The a-pillar bars look good. Should walk right through cert:thumb:

Thanks B!

How about where the front of the a-pillar bars mount? I was afraid of mounting it in front of the door bar, but I called Edgewater tech guy and he said it would be fine (not a real good fuzzy feeling to me). I can try to call NHRA today.

turbo2point2
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks B!

How about where the front of the a-pillar bars mount? I was afraid of mounting it in front of the door bar, but I called Edgewater tech guy and he said it would be fine (not a real good fuzzy feeling to me). I can try to call NHRA today.

I don't recall ever seeing it done that way, but that doesn't mean it can't be done that way. To be safe, call your local div. for help. All of the SFI specs I have show the door bar attached to the a-pillar bar which is attached to the floor plate.

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2010, 05:02 PM
IIR they only have to be on the same plate, but do not have to be connected? Does there have to be a dash bar connecting the two A-pillar bars?

Reeves
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
IIR they only have to be on the same plate, but do not have to be connected? Does there have to be a dash bar connecting the two A-pillar bars?

I called NHRA tech director at around 4:30pm today. I'm good with the A-pillar bars being on the same plate as the door bars. The door bars don't have to be connected to the a-pillar bars.

There only needs to be a dash/lower windshield bar if you have a modified firewall or floorboards.....so no, I don't need it. Thankfully.

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Cool. Damn, I coulda kept the heater box and saved a ton of work if I left that bar out! :(

mario03SRT
03-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Ooooh! ya got me! Okay fine, I'll admit I'm even envious of your car:nod:...but I promise not to hang from your nutz...I wouldn't want to crowd your sack:D

:drum:

BadAssPerformance
03-23-2010, 08:17 AM

LOL... yer bad Andy!

LOL, i'll have to watch that... not at work :D

contraption22
03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

You can swing from my nuts if you want. I have an extra one, so there is now crowding.

Reeves
03-23-2010, 09:17 AM
You can swing from my nuts if you want. I have an extra one, so there is now crowding.

ET!!! Extra Testical!

Ah....the things we come up with when alcohol is involved!

BadAssPerformance
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
LOL...

Hey, we almost posted in order! :D

badandy
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM

LMAO!!!! Damnit Mike you just made me bust out laughing and all of my co-workers asking me "what's so funny?...tell me!"

Uhhhh...I don;t think they REALLY want to know...besides, i can't remember how we started calling you that anyway?

Gosh...that was too dang funny:clap:

turbovanman˛
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I called NHRA tech director at around 4:30pm today. I'm good with the A-pillar bars being on the same plate as the door bars. The door bars don't have to be connected to the a-pillar bars.

There only needs to be a dash/lower windshield bar if you have a modified firewall or floorboards.....so no, I don't need it. Thankfully.

That's good info, should be a sticky, :amen:

badandy
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
LOL... yer bad Andy!

Awe c'mon man:D You started it and stuff:clap: Good to know it's all in fun:nod:

Reeves
04-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Update...but no pics :( Been forgetting the camera.

All bars are tigged in, with the exception of the lateral bars. Got those cut and fit last night and tacked in place. The 6x6 plates on the exhaust tunnel were a little more difficult than expected, but worked out good with a little massaging of the tunnel and the plates.

Couldn't figure out the window net thing. Talked to Slowe, he said not to worry about it for certification, so that is SWEET! I'd really rather not have it, but have the mounts there in case a track enforces it. At certification I'll try to check out how others did it. Anyone got pics?

Big THANKS to Slowe for all the phone support he's given me!

Oh, intercooler pipe is finished and installed, and so is catch can.

Finishing exhaust is next.

Then adding a D ring up front for easier attachment to the trailer and for towing when it gets tired.

turboshad
04-01-2010, 11:55 AM
^^^^ That post is worthless without pics.....I mean c'mon Reeves, get it together ;)

turbo2point2
04-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Update...but no pics :( Been forgetting the camera.

All bars are tigged in, with the exception of the lateral bars. Got those cut and fit last night and tacked in place. The 6x6 plates on the exhaust tunnel were a little more difficult than expected, but worked out good with a little massaging of the tunnel and the plates.

Couldn't figure out the window net thing. Talked to Slowe, he said not to worry about it for certification, so that is SWEET! I'd really rather not have it, but have the mounts there in case a track enforces it. At certification I'll try to check out how others did it. Anyone got pics?

Big THANKS to Slowe for all the phone support he's given me!

Oh, intercooler pipe is finished and installed, and so is catch can.

Finishing exhaust is next.

Then adding a D ring up front for easier attachment to the trailer and for towing when it gets tired.

No sweat James, glad to help. How about some updated pics?:eyebrows:

Reeves
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
No sweat James, glad to help. How about some updated pics?:eyebrows:

Man, I forgot the camera again last night... :(

And I really should have had it while the exhaust was off. It turned out AWESOME! The 4" stuff fit in there like a glove! And it's super light weight since I used aluminum for everything but the downpipe. Only thing I may change is adding a cone to quiet it down a bit. Or, I might try to make my own aluminum glasspack. It's kind of louder than I expected.

Car is done at my buddies shop....time to bring it home and start the major cleaning. Saturday is my appointment for chassis certification. I plan to leave all the interior out of the car and take it pretty much as is (although cleaner). If all passes well, I want to add the mounts for the window net, then start painting the roll cage and put in new carpet and interior.

Reeves
04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Drove the OMNI home last night from my buddies shop to my shop. I'm getting old, as I'm looking for mufflers this morning. :o I really didn't expect that 4" exhaust to be that loud without a muffler. But, the interior is still out, so I'm sure that ain't helping. My ears were ringing after the 20 minute drive.

Before I left, I hooked up the simulated narrowband o2 output from the Zeitronix to the o2 input of the LM. I'm getting some pretty big swings from rich/lean/rich etc. It's fluctuating like normal, except it goes to full rich. The factory narrowband o2 never did that. I may have a positive offset from ground issue or something. Need to look at that when I get a chance.

Going to clean car all up from all the welding/grinding/etc. and then load it up to take to chassis certification tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Brian,
I don't need the roll bar padding installed for cert....right?

ohiorob
04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
good luck :). one more month and it's racing season :thumb:

turbo2point2
04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Wish me luck!

Brian,
I don't need the roll bar padding installed for cert....right?

Good luck James!!

No padding needed, it will just interfere with the sonic tester:thumb:

Gaboon
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
And here I thought I got a lot done on my car today...I polished the front left mag wheel..

I swear I'll get to the others....eventually.:o

Nice job James.

Reeves
04-10-2010, 03:49 PM
NHRA CERTIFIED OMNI!! Has a nice ring to it!

cordes
04-10-2010, 04:20 PM

Congrats Reeves.

Turbo3Iroc
04-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Pretty cool, what ET and trap speeds are you good for now?

turbo2point2
04-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Sweet! Now to just get that competition license:nod:

Pretty cool, what ET and trap speeds are you good for now?

Anything 8.50 or slower and under 180 mph I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Reeves
04-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks! I'm pretty pumped!

And yes....license next.

And yes....8.50 and 180mph. :D

turboshad
04-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Congrats James!! At what speed do you need a license in NHRA?

rx2mazda
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Don't worry, your not close! :lol: JK (me either)

Congrats James!

lotsaboost
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty pumped!
LOL. I'm pumped just reading about it. Makes me wanna add a SOHC in the near future.

At what speed do you need a license in NHRA?
"Ludicrous speed"

Carlos

Reeves
04-12-2010, 10:27 PM

"Ludicrous speed"

9.99 seconds or over 135mph. I was hitting over the latter.

"My mirrors flap like a f*cking bird..." -Luda

contraption22
04-12-2010, 11:27 PM

"My mirrors flap like a f*cking bird..." -Luda

Too fast fo y'all mang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oitrWB8J2IY&feature=fvw

rx2mazda
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Yall are too funny...lol

turbo2point2
04-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Window net mounts:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/xlent251/jreeves004.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/xlent251/jreeves005.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/xlent251/jreeves006.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/xlent251/jreeves007.jpg

Hope these help!

Reeves
04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks dude!

I'm going to have to do mine different, due to me having a door bar and not an X brace there.

turbo2point2
04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
You're welcome! Don't forget that Stroud Safety will custom make any shape window net you might need. I should have bought mine from there instead of using a universal.

Reeves
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Think cable ties are legal? JK

Here's what I'm thinking...... But I'm still not sure if I'm crazy about having to remove the bottom bar to get in and out. Especially if it was in an emergency situation!

turbo2point2
04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks good:thumb: I seem to remember a car that had an extension of some sort for the lower front of the net. I'll see if I can find pics...

Reeves
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Looks good:thumb: I seem to remember a car that had an extension of some sort for the lower front of the net. I'll see if I can find pics...

That would be great!

Thanks!

Pat
04-29-2010, 10:27 PM
James...car's looking good. Post up a couple more pics of the finished cage.

Reeves
04-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Will do! Probably be tomorrow though. We are going to Edgewater tonight with Dad's Charger. The convertor seems to be loosening up a little bit for the better.

Tubes and rods for the window net are made. I sat in the car last night and found that I can't pull the inside door handle far enough to open the door with the bar in place (luckily NOTHING on the window net is welded yet, still cable tied). So I'm going to add a bend to the bottom rod to shoot down lower to where it connects to the A-Pillar bar. That will give me door handle clearance, and more arm rooom for fighting the steering wheel if need be!

Started working on the window cranks. Going to cut up a factory one and see if we can't duplicate that spline on our laser out of some thick aluminum stock.

contraption22
04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Really nice work!

Shadow
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM

How much did they bug you about going over the 135mph? (or did they)

Reeves
04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
How much did they bug you about going over the 135mph? (or did they)

I got a talkin' to at the Mopar Nationals two years in a row (National Trails Dragstrip, Columbus, OH) and I got a talkin' to at Cecil County Fun Day and then got kicked off the track when I went for all of it up against Marra.

I figured it was time.

Shadow
05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I got a talkin' to at the Mopar Nationals two years in a row (National Trails Dragstrip, Columbus, OH) and I got a talkin' to at Cecil County Fun Day and then got kicked off the track when I went for all of it up against Marra.

I figured it was time.

Crap! Was really hoping to leave the Charger as it is now. Didn't think they would notice mph as much as E.T. Guess I'll have to see what happens if I ever make it down south.

Reeves
05-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Crap! Was really hoping to leave the Charger as it is now. Didn't think they would notice mph as much as E.T. Guess I'll have to see what happens if I ever make it down south.

Same here.....I knew MPH was a rule, but I didn't think it was really enforced all that much.

Yesterday we were sanding on the roll cage to get ready for primer, but it was flash rusting fast due to all the humidity. Will definitely have to sand it again.

Started working on another waterpump housing bling bling so I can mount my CSR electric pump to it so it'll look nice.

Going to hopefully get the tubes for my window net welded on tonight and get it all fit up. Went to Harbor Frieght today and got a hairpin assortment. Get this....regular plated hair pins, $4.99....found the exact same assortment in stainless steel, $2.97! I should have bought more boxes!

Cut a factory window crank and taped it back together to get the length right to clear my A-pillar bars. Need a length of 3" to 3.125" from center bolt hole to end of knob. Any ideas? Old Mopars are the exact same spline count and fit, but are too long. I'm looking for some Hot Rod one's are the like. I also know that VW Beetle window cranks fit, and have found some short ones, but the shortest I've found so far is 3.50". Darn it...

Pics soon.....

Reaper1
05-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Maybe it was already explained, but why does Slowe's car have 2 tachs on the dash?

turbo2point2
05-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Maybe it was already explained, but why does Slowe's car have 2 tachs on the dash?

One is engine RPM and the other is turbo speed;)

92spiritrt
05-08-2010, 07:38 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

rx2mazda
05-08-2010, 01:24 PM

:lol::lol::lol::thumb:

badandy
05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
And here I thought one was for forward and the other for reverse....duh! :p

onerippinturbo2
05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
james, what are your plans for the intercooler piping and bov you removed from your car? interested in selling it? if so let me know! thanks, car looks great keep up the good work!

ohiorob
05-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I've been going 135+ sence 2004 and never got noticed. maybe i fall under the grandfather clause:D some times it pays to be old, I don't get speeding tickets anymore either, just warnings :thumb:

so James when you going to take the omni to the track for its shake down pass ?

Rampage16V
05-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey how bout some of the really old early 60's big mopars didn't they have small cranks for the vent windows?

Same here.....I knew MPH was a rule, but I didn't think it was really enforced all that much.

Yesterday we were sanding on the roll cage to get ready for primer, but it was flash rusting fast due to all the humidity. Will definitely have to sand it again.

Started working on another waterpump housing bling bling so I can mount my CSR electric pump to it so it'll look nice.

Going to hopefully get the tubes for my window net welded on tonight and get it all fit up. Went to Harbor Frieght today and got a hairpin assortment. Get this....regular plated hair pins, $4.99....found the exact same assortment in stainless steel, $2.97! I should have bought more boxes!

Cut a factory window crank and taped it back together to get the length right to clear my A-pillar bars. Need a length of 3" to 3.125" from center bolt hole to end of knob. Any ideas? Old Mopars are the exact same spline count and fit, but are too long. I'm looking for some Hot Rod one's are the like. I also know that VW Beetle window cranks fit, and have found some short ones, but the shortest I've found so far is 3.50". Darn it...

Pics soon.....

Reeves
05-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Keeping a non-wastegated turbo at it's peak effieciency rpm by venting the compressor side (kind of like a big bov using it as a wastegate) is getting more and more common these days.

james, what are your plans for the intercooler piping and bov you removed from your car? interested in selling it? if so let me know! thanks, car looks great keep up the good work!

Pretty sure Fleckster already grabbed it. I owed him a BOV since I was supposed to test his for him about 3 years ago and never got around to it. LOL. If Fleckster doesn't need the pipe, I'll let you know. It's a Modified Talon BOV.

so James when you going to take the omni to the track for its shake down pass ?

Soon I hope. Slicks are here. Still need to replace clutch and go thru trans. Painting roll cage today. Then fitting up the new carpet and headliner.

Hey how bout some of the really old early 60's big mopars didn't they have small cranks for the vent windows?

Right. Does anyone know if they are 13 spline like stock? Here's the one's I'm looking at:

http://tinyurl.com/2du2crq

Reeves
05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Priming and painting tonight.

cordes
05-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Are you just going to rattle can it? What is that metal hump on the floor?

Reeves
05-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Still:

Reeves
05-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah, and some water pump pics up above....

john1320
05-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Still:

That pump is a hot item,
did you fab that up?
Would like to use that style on my Baroness..
:amen:

Reeves
05-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Are you just going to rattle can it? What is that metal hump on the floor?

Yes to the rattle can.

The hump is for the fuel return and fuel lever sensor in the aluminum fuel cell mounted underneath.

That pump is a hot item,
did you fab that up?
Would like to use that style on my Baroness..
:amen:

The pump is made by CSR. They used to make them back in the day, then they quit, then BADANDY and Cindy at www.fwdperformance.com got a group buy together and had another run of them made.

The housing is stock.

BadAssPerformance
05-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Wow I'm, having flashbacks of painting my cage... still a little light headed, LOL... Lookin good Reeves! :thumb:

CSX153
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Dyno this past Friday 11-19-2009. S-6262 turbo and 96pph injectors. Also advanced cam 2 degrees and picked up about 25 ft/lbs of torque. Biggest help was it had a lot of track time and that Warrened-Out tuning! This dyno is 3500 lbs. Not sure what previous dyno was, need to find out, but for some reason I was thinking it was 2200lbs. Found an interesting problem that will need to be fixed over the winter. In 4th gear at around 5700 rpm we kept getting a bad breakup/miss. Took us about 3 hours, but between Bob Brady, Joe Marra, Mike Marra, Steve Menegon, Tim Pettijohn, Warren Hall (via phone-a-friend) and myself we figured out it was speed related! When the logic module sees 127 mph it turns on the staging rev-limiter once again! DOH!!! So the only quick way to get around it was to do 3rd gear pulls once again.

BTW, this is NO spray on either dyno.

EDIT: Added Tim Pettijohn to the list above! Sorry Tim!

how much boost?

Reeves
05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
how much boost?

About 30 to 33 on the dyno. Was hitting about 34 to 36 at the track the next day (more load).

turbovanman˛
05-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Love your car man, :hail:

The pump is made by CSR. They used to make them back in the day, then they quit, then BADANDY and Cindy at www.fwdperformance.com got a group buy together and had another run of them made.

The housing is stock.

They are still available, can't remember who has stock, they bought a dozen of them, around $320.

Reeves
05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Here's some pics of the fuel cell for Pat. The fuel cell isn't new, that's why it's got a lot of road grime on it.

Also can see the catch can and exhaust....since I forgot to take any pics of fabbing it up and mounting it.

I need to get a move on! Look at the cob webs under it!

Still working on interior....

Reeves
05-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Hmmm.....can't post pics.... ??

Reeves
05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Test ease

badandy
05-19-2010, 08:29 PM
how much boost?

All of it!

Pat
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
thanks for the pics...very nice piece.

Rampage16V
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Looking good James!!

ohiorob
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
well is you $hit ready to roll?

BadAssPerformance
05-25-2010, 10:14 PM

This post belongs in the SDAC-20 call out thread :nod:

Reeves
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

This post belongs in the SDAC-20 call out thread :nod:

LMAO!

No, my sh!t ain't ready yet. Been gone for work the past 5 days. Back to the office now....so work will continue tonight!!!

Got most of the interior done. Made a super bright high intensity white LED to replace the factory 'fuel pacer' light. That's going to be my new shift light! Gonna test the code for it soon.

Need to wire in my NAWZ controller to be on the safer side....it will be easier to do that with the front seats still out.

Clutch is on the bench! But dang is it heavy.... :yuck:

Gotta a local car show I want to make on June 5th.....so that is the target date to have it all wrapped up.

csxtra
05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Got most of the interior done. Made a super bright high intensity white LED to replace the factory 'fuel pacer' light. That's going to be my new shift light! Gonna test the code for it soon.

Gotta a local car show I want to make on June 5th.....so that is the target date to have it all wrapped up.

So I guess I'd better get off my @$$ and get the new version of your cal ready, huh?

Reeves
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
So I guess I'd better get off my @$$ and get the new version of your cal ready, huh?

It'd be nice! ;)

Reeves
06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow I'm, having flashbacks of painting my cage... still a little light headed, LOL... Lookin good Reeves! :thumb:

They must not have the same stuff in the cans anymore. I didn't even get a buzz :mad:

As close as it's going to get. Didn't get everything done on my list, but I think it's good enough for now.

Need to wire in my NAWZ controller to be on the safer side....it will be easier to do that with the front seats still out.

Shift light is in and hard wire tested. Rob and Warren still working out the bugs with code and I have a new version to try. I just think it's cool to have shift light in the factory shift light hole, and the code in the stock computer!

NAWZ controller is wired up and ready, just in case I decide to spray. New Edelbrock bottle nut was made incorrect and wouldn't seal. Called Summit about it and they sent me a NOS one for free! :thumb: THAT'S customer service!

Made the car show just fine! It was a lot of fun! Burnouts down the road after with the local police uh, "being busy" as I think they put it! They had an agreement. Very cool. Then it was so nice out, we went the long way home. Racked up maybe 40 to 50 miles on winter work.

Waxxing it tonight, then loading it up tomorrow......as long as my truck gets a clean bill of health from the dealer. Trans has been acting kind of funny.

contraption22
06-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey dude, do you still need me to bring a bottle nut, or are ya covered with the one from Summit?

Reeves
06-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Hey dude, do you still need me to bring a bottle nut, or are ya covered with the one from Summit?

I was afraid I wouldn't get one from Summit in time, but it showed up, and I've already leak tested it :thumb:

Thanks very much for the offer though!

I got your seat belt bolts.

contraption22
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I was afraid I wouldn't get one from Summit in time, but it showed up, and I've already leak tested it :thumb:

Thanks very much for the offer though!

I got your seat belt bolts.

You're welcome, and thanks! I'll have your generator.

Reeves
08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Car has been in the trailer since SDAC, except for when we hauled it to Edgewater for an import race a couple of weeks ago. Then it went back in trailer and stayed there until Monday night. I finally got enough other stuff done that I could start work on the OMNI again…..as PINKS ALL OUT is just around the corner!

Boost leak tested yesterday by putting air in the turbo inlet. Got up to 3 psi and hear air coming out from somewhere around the throttle body. Got a spray bottle with soapy water and find out it’s the TPS. Take off the TPS….no O-RING! I was like, sh*t….this thing has been like this for YEARS! Checked some other throttle bodies, and none of them had an O-ring there. Guess they didn’t have one from the factory? I put on an O-ring and that fixed the leak where the TPS meets the throttle body, but not the TPS itself. Also see bubbles coming from the other side of the throttle shaft as well (throttle cable side). So I removed the throttle body, took it completely apart, cleaned it all up, and added a different TPS sensor and a bigger O-ring to the AIS motor as well. Don’t know how to keep it from leaking a little on both sides of the throttle shaft??? I haven’t re-installed it yet.

I've been having problems off and on hitting 2nd gear. It feels like it's in gear, then dump the clutch and nothing. Then last time out at Edgewater, we noticed it didn’t want to go into 3rd easily. Even just sitting in the pits. Engine running or not running. So, yesterday I removed the shifter cables from the trans end and manually shifted thru the gears. There is definitely something wrong with 3rd gear. So, out comes the trans.

Got it up on the engine stand and tore off the shift selector. I can see that the 2nd gear synchro is pretty beat up. Strained all the oil that came out and found little plastic slivers. Looks like the shift fork for 3rd may be bent and ate up the little plastic pads on the end.

But here’s the other thing I found that I think may have beat up the 2nd gear synchros. Manually moving the 1st/2nd shift fork it goes into 1st gear no problem, but 2nd gear ONLY engages when it is completely up against the stop. If it’s just an 1/8” away, it may or may not be in 2nd gear. Then when you turn the input shaft, it may go the rest of the way in 2nd, or it may pop out. I’m thinking of removing about 1/8” or so of material from the stop side of the fork to more completely engage 2nd gear. Thoughts/Comments? Anyone else seen this before?

Also thought of welding some keystock to the sides of the shift forks to beef them up. Thoughts/Comments? Anyone else done this before?

I’m going to tear the rest of the trans apart tonight, once this thing called “work” gets done for today.

JT….ever get the bronze shift fork pads done for 525/520/555 ??

glhs0426
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I've been having problems off and on hitting 2nd gear. It feels like it's in gear, then dump the clutch and nothing. Then last time out at Edgewater, we noticed it didn’t want to go into 3rd easily. Even just sitting in the pits. Engine running or not running. So, yesterday I removed the shifter cables from the trans end and manually shifted thru the gears. There is definitely something wrong with 3rd gear. So, out comes the trans.

Got it up on the engine stand and tore off the shift selector. I can see that the 2nd gear synchro is pretty beat up. Strained all the oil that came out and found little plastic slivers. Looks like the shift fork for 3rd may be bent and ate up the little plastic pads on the end.

But here’s the other thing I found that I think may have beat up the 2nd gear synchros. Manually moving the 1st/2nd shift fork it goes into 1st gear no problem, but 2nd gear ONLY engages when it is completely up against the stop. If it’s just an 1/8” away, it may or may not be in 2nd gear. Then when you turn the input shaft, it may go the rest of the way in 2nd, or it may pop out. I’m thinking of removing about 1/8” or so of material from the stop side of the fork to more completely engage 2nd gear. Thoughts/Comments? Anyone else seen this before?

Also thought of welding some keystock to the sides of the shift forks to beef them up. Thoughts/Comments? Anyone else done this before?

I’m going to tear the rest of the trans apart tonight, once this thing called “work” gets done for today.

You are suggesting making the throw longer for 2nd gear? If so, something similar has been done on T850's to make 3rd engage a little more. This has been done with good results.

BadAssPerformance
08-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Sorry, only the prototypes for the 568...

Rampage16V
08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
James have you ground off eve ry other tooth(dog) on the syncro sleev and gear for second and third? Dsms were missing three on three spots around the gear from the factory. Make is go in nomatter what. I did to a friends 440+6 super bee works mint. You can leave the brass rings in still.

turbovanman˛
08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Boost leak tested yesterday by putting air in the turbo inlet. Got up to 3 psi and hear air coming out from somewhere around the throttle body. Got a spray bottle with soapy water and find out it’s the TPS. Take off the TPS….no O-RING! I was like, sh*t….this thing has been like this for YEARS! Checked some other throttle bodies, and none of them had an O-ring there. Guess they didn’t have one from the factory? I put on an O-ring and that fixed the leak where the TPS meets the throttle body, but not the TPS itself. Also see bubbles coming from the other side of the throttle shaft as well (throttle cable side). So I removed the throttle body, took it completely apart, cleaned it all up, and added a different TPS sensor and a bigger O-ring to the AIS motor as well. Don’t know how to keep it from leaking a little on both sides of the throttle shaft??? I haven’t re-installed it yet.

That's normal, they leak a bit from the factory. My issue is I have the TPS at the bottom, so the oil drains out and damages the TPS, :mad: but I have no room to turn it around, :(

Rampage16V
08-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Way way back there was a service bulletin to leave out the o ring because the vacuum was pulling the dielectric grease through the strands of the wire causing the tps to mal function

BadAssPerformance
08-04-2010, 11:45 PM
James have you ground off eve ry other tooth(dog) on the syncro sleev and gear for second and third? Dsms were missing three on three spots around the gear from the factory. Make is go in nomatter what. I did to a friends 440+6 super bee works mint. You can leave the brass rings in still.

I've always wanted a Hemi crash box :)

Reeves
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
You are suggesting making the throw longer for 2nd gear? If so, something similar has been done on T850's to make 3rd engage a little more. This has been done with good results.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. The 1st/2nd shift fork at the top where the gear selector goes, has extra meat on it to hit the case when it's in 2nd gear. I'm thinking of removing about 1/8" of this extra meat to let it go a little farther into 2nd.

I've heard of this, but never done it. Are you saying to remove EVERY OTHER dog from the synchro and the gear? Do you need to do it in a way that the teeth that are now missing line up a certain way? I know the synchro can move about a dog and a half.

That's normal, they leak a bit from the factory. My issue is I have the TPS at the bottom, so the oil drains out and damages the TPS, :mad: but I have no room to turn it around, :(

Why do you have oil in your throttle body?

Way way back there was a service bulletin to leave out the o ring because the vacuum was pulling the dielectric grease through the strands of the wire causing the tps to mal function

Hmmm.....good to know! But I put an O-ring there anyway. I'd rather not lose boost.

I was mostly boost leak testing as I noticed it seems to be spooling slower between gear shifts even at WOT.

Pics of the trans coming soon.

BadAssPerformance
08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I was mostly boost leak testing as I noticed it seems to be spooling slower between gear shifts even at WOT.

With the same turbo or compared to the old turbo? The larger exhaust wheels like to drop boost at the lower RPM but you know this...

Pat
08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

James...ping Genesky. Cliff did this for on a trans for him and from what I recall, Jon loved it.

Reeves
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Hang with me here, as these pics are horrible. Some of them you can see what I'm talking about.

In the strainer you can see the plastic slivers. These are from the shift fork plastic pads that were just installed a little over a year ago.

The other pictures in this post are of the 1st/2nd shift fork. I'm pointing with a screw driver where the fork hits the case when in 2nd gear. This is where I'm thinking of removing some material from the fork so it will go in farther.

Reeves
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
These pics you can kind of see that the dogs on 2nd gear sh!t the bed. I'm in the process of getting hooked up with another 2nd gear *crosses fingers*.

You may be able to see that the dogs on the 2nd gear synchro also sh!t the bed.

The problem with going into 3rd is that the selector ring that the fork goes in (not sure of the name) is all boogered up. Like it's been seizing up.

Reeves
08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Started digging around my shed, and remembered that my old broke trans was still complete. Very nice that it has a viewing window! But, the 2nd gear dogs are worn on it too. Not near as bad, but they are definitely worn. I'm hoping to find a really good shape gearset.

BadAssPerformance
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Ouch. Good Luck on the good gearset... hard to find. I have seen "freshly rebuilt" transaxles with fresh brass rings and worn dogs on the gears, this seems to be common practice?

Pat
08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Rounded dogs will make it hard to engage the gear in a stock configuration, but if you went the crash box route and took every other dog off, I'm not sure the wear on the dogs would matter as much. It would slam into gear regardless.

Reeves
08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
With the same turbo or compared to the old turbo? The larger exhaust wheels like to drop boost at the lower RPM but you know this...

Compared to last year with this turbo.

James...ping Genesky. Cliff did this for on a trans for him and from what I recall, Jon loved it.

I will ping him. Thanks for the heads up.

Ouch. Good Luck on the good gearset... hard to find. I have seen "freshly rebuilt" transaxles with fresh brass rings and worn dogs on the gears, this seems to be common practice?

I have a call in to Cliff Ramsdell, but I'm not sure if his number is still the same. I left him a voice mail.

Slowe thinks he may have a set or two as well. He's going to look today. :thumb:

Rounded dogs will make it hard to engage the gear in a stock configuration, but if you went the crash box route and took every other dog off, I'm not sure the wear on the dogs would matter as much. It would slam into gear regardless.

The dogs are completely rounded off. I think that is why I've been having the problem. The dogs on my old broke trans are half worn off.

What's the disadvantage to going the "crash box" route? Any?

BadAssPerformance
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Compared to last year with this turbo.

Hmmm.. interesting. What changes have you maed since last year? Got last year and current data logs of boost/rpm/gear?

cordes
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM

I seem to recall it being posted that the service limit for the gears is more than half the dogs worn off. It they've been rounded half way they are technically still good go go.

Reeves
08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Hmmm.. interesting. What changes have you maed since last year? Got last year and current data logs of boost/rpm/gear?

Yes, have the data logs.

Let's see, I went with and ATP Ultimate Swingvalve, a true 3" outlet that dumps into 4" the rest of the way. Also been messing with the cal some.

turboshad
08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
What's the disadvantage to going the "crash box" route? Any?

The only disadvantage I've heard of is it wears quicker, but I've always taken that from a "DD compared to factory" standpoint. So on a summer "driver barely driven" car I don't know if you would run into that issue or not. I've been wanting to do this as well. Really I'd like to design a dogbox but I don't have the $$ right now and it would probalby be easier to just go to an SRT4 trans.

What kind of fluid is that?

Reeves
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I seem to recall it being posted that the service limit for the gears is more than half the dogs worn off. It they've been rounded half way they are technically still good go go.

No joke? :confused2:

The only disadvantage I've heard of is it wears quicker, but I've always taken that from a "DD compared to factory" standpoint. So on a summer "driver barely driven" car I don't know if you would run into that issue or not. I've been wanting to do this as well. Really I'd like to design a dogbox but I don't have the $$ right now and it would probalby be easier to just go to an SRT4 trans.

What kind of fluid is that?

I don't like the SRT-4 trans....but, I've never rowed a dog box either.

50% Redline Lightweight ShockProof Oil, 50% Redline MTL

Pat
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=turboshad;695733]The only disadvantage I've heard of is it wears quicker, but I've always taken that from a "DD compared to factory" standpoint. So on a summer "driver barely driven" car I don't know if you would run into that issue or not.QUOTE]

That's what I understand also. Grinding off every other tooth means you can nail the gear faster, which gives the syncro less time to work, meaning more gear clash as it engages.

For street driving, I can't reason in my head why it would wear any faster if you shifting reasonably slow. If you shift slow, and the syncro does it's job, I don't see why you'd wear any faster than normal.

I'm starting to convice myself to give this a try...

fleckster
08-05-2010, 11:18 AM
James,

Still planning on checking my parts stash for you after work...

Reeves
08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
That's what I understand also. Grinding off every other tooth means you can nail the gear faster, which gives the syncro less time to work, meaning more gear clash as it engages.

For street driving, I can't reason in my head why it would wear any faster if you shifting reasonably slow. If you shift slow, and the syncro does it's job, I don't see why you'd wear any faster than normal.

I'm starting to convice myself to give this a try...

Me too. Think I'm going to try it. As soon as I find some better dogs on a gear.
So we ARE saying to remove EVERY OTHER dog on both the synchro and the gear?
What's the best way to remove them? They are small and close together.

James,

Still planning on checking my parts stash for you after work...

Thanks man! Slowe just text me a minute ago and said what he has won't work.