PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Museum

neonsox
11-18-2009, 06:33 PM
I recently went to Vegas and toured the Shelby Museum. Much to my surprise (and thrill), they had the Shelby Lancer prototype on display. I thought I was looking at my car!

Here's a quick two-minute run-through I did of the museum (can't figure out how to directly embed the video, so the link will have to do).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/c1K1dljuna4T8cY88pJm-A?feat=directlink

Notice how they kept the Dodge section in a corner a little bit? The tour guide wouldn't open the hood and the car actually had a little bit of road rash AND what looked like a recent Texas inspection sticker.

168glhs1986
11-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Notice how they kept the Dodge section in a corner a little bit?

Not at all. We're lucky they even include our cars in the museum! Thanks for the walk through.

JohnnyIroc
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
sweet! glad to see some of them out there in a Shelby museum

cordes
11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Very cool to see the Shelby Dodge cars in there. Thanks for taking the time to make the vid and post up the link.

raccoon
11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
nice video thansk

junior92
11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
nice thankz man

4 l-bodies
11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Was Steve Kalmes old CSX-T on display? If not it's still sitting in the warehouse. They seem to be taking their sweet time about finding room for it.
Todd

BadAssPerformance
11-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Was Steve Kalmes old CSX-T on display? If not it's still sitting in the warehouse. They seem to be taking their sweet time about finding room for it.
Todd

Did he sell it to them!?

Dodge Aries K
11-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Wow, that's surprising to see those nestled in there...

4 l-bodies
11-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Did he sell it to them!?
Yes Steve sold his beautiful CSX-T to them last Spring. It's been sitting in the WH for half a year now. It's not like they had to restore it. I'd be surprised if they had to blow the dust off it to prepare it for display.
Todd

smokinsrt
11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I went to the museum in 2008 at that time they didn't have any turbo dodges I was really bummed. The guide did tell us a story of how Carol use to drive an Omni around and really loved it, don't know how much of that is true. Even without a turbo dodge there it was still a pretty cool place.

BadAssPerformance
11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes Steve sold his beautiful CSX-T to them last Spring. It's been sitting in the WH for half a year now. It's not like they had to restore it. I'd be surprised if they had to blow the dust off it to prepare it for display.
Todd

Yeah, his is a beautiful example of a T :)

neonsox
11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I went to the museum in 2008 at that time they didn't have any turbo dodges I was really bummed. The guide did tell us a story of how Carol use to drive an Omni around and really loved it, don't know how much of that is true. Even without a turbo dodge there it was still a pretty cool place.

Yep, he mentioned that Shelby enjoyed driving the Omni and the other Chrysler cars because they could actually handle and stop a little bit. I think it's the truth because of the inspection stickers and obvious wear on the cars. They pushed the various Mustang packages they offer a few times during the tour, so in the end they are a business looking to make money (naturally).

Behind the cars there is also a timeline which was pretty interesting. He's officially worked for Ford and Chrysler but used the Aurora Oldsmobile engine in the Series I, which I guess GM wasn't thrilled about. The tour was pretty interesting overall and we made sure to sign the wall. SL #63 with a "MOPAR!" is on Shelby's wall, in the hangar no less. Have to represent :thumb:

Reaper1
11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Huh...no Shelby Viper or Shelby Dakota? Intersting.

BadAssPerformance
11-23-2009, 08:02 PM
He has a few Dakota's and the '83 Ram in the collection... not sure about any vipers tho, if so they keep them hidden from the public

omni_840
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
cool vid, thanks for posting up the link:)

J&H Ryan
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Huh...no Shelby Viper or Shelby Dakota? Intersting.

Unless I missed something, there was a Dak in that vid, a white one. Cool vid, thanks for posting.

Captain Chaos
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Was there ever a Shelby Viper? I thought he just drove the pace car version at Indy. I know there was the Shelby Durango but unsure how much influence he had on that.

Reaper1
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Yes, there are Shelby Vipers. I've seen one at Carlisle a few times. They are white with blue stripes, have a different front fascia and have a small rear wing along with different wheels and TONS of "Shleby" badging. I think at one time those cars had more "Shelby" emblems and signatures on them than ANY other of the Shelby cars. They are extremely rare (50 or so produced and are called "Shelby R/T10's"), and I've had a very hard time even finding pictures of them on the web.

These pictures are not mine, but are labeled: Mid-Atlantic Mopar Meet, Mason-Dixon Dragway, Boonsboro, MD, May 1999.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3276890370_72bc39d9d8.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/3276046093_c62a919419.jpg
(nice silver Shelby Z it's sitting next too!)

It's kinda interesting that the guy that has the one I've seen also has a Shelby Durnago, both vehicles have the same dash plaque number! I think I remember that he toes the Viper to the show with the Durango! LOL

(out of interest I stumbled across this picture of the "birthday car" on a Google search for the Viper!)
http://www.shelbycsx.com/history/birthday/groupsantefesprings.jpg

Pat
01-05-2010, 11:11 PM
These pictures are not mine, but are labeled: Mid-Atlantic Mopar Meet, Mason-Dixon Dragway, Boonsboro, MD, May 1999.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3276890370_72bc39d9d8.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/3276046093_c62a919419.jpg
(nice silver Shelby Z it's sitting next too!)
]

Get this! That silver Shelby Z was my car...and the strikingly handsome blonde guy standing next to it is me! I miss that car. It's hard to believe that was 11 years ago. I do remember being parked next to the Viper in the "shelby" class of the show field. That was one of the few years I showed a car there instead of racing it.

In the second picture, you see a hood of a Shelby Dakota on the other side of my Daytona. That's ScottD's old truck..I think it was #894 if I remember correctly.

That is pretty damn funny.

ScottD
01-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I actually remember that Shelby Viper. It was the only one I've ever seen. I wanted to take the badges off the nose and rear in the worst way! I thought it was a really sharp looking car, if I were to have a Viper I'd love to have one of those.

That is my old Shelby Dak #894 next to Pat's silver Shelby Z. The Shelby Dak is now somewhere in VA.

Pretty funny to see these pics, I go to the Mason Dixon show almost every year.

W.P._Turbocars
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Pretty sure I heard a little giggle when the SL came into view on your vid. lol Thanks for the vid. Very nice.

Reaper1
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Cool to know others have seen the same car and even cooler that 'yall's cars ended up being part of that little tid-bit of history as well! :thumb:

neonsox
01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Pretty sure I heard a little giggle when the SL came into view on your vid. lol Thanks for the vid. Very nice.

Oh yeah, I bet I did. I didn't expect to see a SL sitting there in the museum. I expected a GLHS or something of that nature, but there was the SL, all scuffed up and used looking. It is definitely a stop you want to make at some point if you are into these cars or anything Shelby has done for the racing world. :thumb:

JamesL
01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
(out of interest I stumbled across this picture of the "birthday car" on a Google search for the Viper!)
http://www.shelbycsx.com/history/birthday/groupsantefesprings.jpg

^^^^^ That's my car now. :eyebrows: I kinda hoped they'd ask me to put it in the museum after I ran the hell out of it at Terlingua. Maybe some day :thumb:

Reaper1
01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
James, does that car have the VDS on it? I know the '90 Prototype CSX/VNT did, but I don't know about this car.

TopDollar69
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Are you talking about the ----pit adjustable shocks-struts? If so, yes it does, I saw them when I visited the FWDP shop a couple of years back. Somewhere I have a picture of the control switch on the dash.

James,

What did Caroll all have to say about the Birthday car?

Reaper1
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes, that's what I was talking about. VDS = Variable Dampening Suspension. To me this is one of the unicorns of the TM world. Even though replacement parts are impossible to find, I'd still LOVE to have a car with this system for some reason. LOL

Sgt Craig
01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Get this! That silver Shelby Z was my car...and the strikingly handsome blonde guy standing next to it is me! I miss that car. It's hard to believe that was 11 years ago. I do remember being parked next to the Viper in the "shelby" class of the show field. That was one of the few years I showed a car there instead of racing it.

In the second picture, you see a hood of a Shelby Dakota on the other side of my Daytona. That's ScottD's old truck..I think it was #894 if I remember correctly.

That is pretty damn funny.

What even funnier is I may have parked all you guys in the spots.I cant remember if it was 99 or 2000 I worked parking the show cars.

WickedShelby88
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Very cool vid. Thanks for sharing. That birthday car is sweet! I like the white better than I do the red. I never thought I'd see an SC in there, let alone a carbed one. Or at least it had the 4 lug wheels from what I saw and no hood bulge. Glad to see the Mopars get some attention.

CSX153
01-17-2010, 10:38 PM
^^^^^ That's my car now. :eyebrows: I kinda hoped they'd ask me to put it in the museum after I ran the hell out of it at Terlingua. Maybe some day :thumb:

here's my car with yours

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3337/1301/33340650014_large.jpg

TopDollar69
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Seems like the forum doesn't like the word c0ckpit.

JamesL
01-19-2010, 08:21 AM
James, does that car have the VDS on it? I know the '90 Prototype CSX/VNT did, but I don't know about this car.

Yes it does! :D

JamesL
01-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Are you talking about the ----pit adjustable shocks-struts? If so, yes it does, I saw them when I visited the FWDP shop a couple of years back. Somewhere I have a picture of the control switch on the dash.

James,

What did Caroll all have to say about the Birthday car?

Actually Caroll had very little to say about it and needed to be reminded of what it was.