PDA

View Full Version : 89 CSX special options?

denviola
11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
A seller on ebay is listing a low mile 89 CSX with the recaros and wide tires, one of the 15 and has some factual info from the dealer. The listing seems to imply the recaro and wide car tires got a special steering rack, if I'm reading correctly. Looking for input on this, and also input on the cruise control on the car. The mechanism appears on the underhood pics, and the proper turn signal stalk shows on the interior pic. Was it available new? Does the computer include support for cruise control?

Here is the ebay link - looking for info and discussion so would ask not to be moved to ebay section. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-1989-SHELBY-CSX-VNT-ONE-OF-15-MADE_W0QQitemZ300364181949QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item45ef19b1bd

UNK D

Pat
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
I think it was a Shelby Z 2258 tire rack, with the appropriate bump stops to keep it from rubbing.

rich tideswell
11-18-2009, 10:27 AM
the front of my pants just got tight. that thing looks mint. wish i had 9g's

denviola
11-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Just thought a different steering rack was odd, I've read that the wheels were the same with standard tires and wide tires. I have the wider tires on mine, although non original and no rubbing issues.
I also have a cruise control set up from a Sundance, and would like to install if possible.
UNK

shelbyconcepts
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Uncle Denny!....

I'm guessing that all the cars got the same rack.... The rack travel restrictors are fairly easy to install if you have the correct tool to install the inner tie rod tool. About 10 years ago when I was build the convertible we built a rack for it using large restrictors, neon high ratio rack and shadow inner tie rods... Worked good... Chrysler was smart in those days and alot of the parts interchanged...

Tim

DC Turismo
11-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Denny

IIRC, a Dodge Daytona rack (same as used on a 89 Daytona Shelby I believe) was used for the wide tire cars. The Fiberide rims all measure 6.5" wide. The "wide tires" designation meant that the stock tire size used was a 225x50r15 size compared to the standard 195x60R15 size (you can tell what yours should have by looking at the sticker inside the door jamb area on the b-pillar). So in other words, all of the 89 CSX's came with the same size Fiberide rims. Just seventeen (fifteen dual option cars and two with just wide tires) came with the larger rubber.

Cruise control was a dealer option that many dealers installed in hopes that the cars would sell. Remember, these models sat on lots for some time (mine sat until sometime in 1990 before the O.O. purchased it). In regards to the cruise, there is no telling how many cars came equipped with cruise.