PDA

View Full Version : Ok, more time to think...Engine Removal?

85_600
05-21-2006, 01:27 AM
As always, on my Night shift weekends, I always get to thinking...this is sometimes bad but this time, maybe not.

What I'm thinking about is, removing the engine and working on it while it's on a stand instead of having the car in pieces in the garage. I know working on it out of the car would be much easier but, how much more involved is it to remove the engine than to just work on it in the car?

My next question is: What all is involved in removing it. Any axle(s) removal?

Also, where is it best to attach the straps to remove it, and what do you use to attach the block to the stand?

If there is a guide on either TM or TD could someone show me? Or, possibly, which would be better: Haynes or Chilton's to use. I don't think a service manual would be able to be fit into my budget right now.

Any insight would be invaluable....maybe a box of cookies for your troubles? :D

Thanks!
Paul

dwh4784
05-21-2006, 02:10 AM
You're in luck, you have an automatic. They are lots easier to remove than 5 speed cars because you: dont have to pull the axles and can leave the tranny in place, and you can pull it out the top.

Remove motor mounts(front and pass side), downpipe bolts(these are the hardest part), wires, fuel and vac lines, unbolt the block from the tranny, unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter...and you're good to go.

It would definitely be easier to work on with it out of the car. When I got my NY it had a busted flexplate so I pulled the motor, replaced the head gasket(why not), and pressure washed it until it sparkled. If you don't have a cherry picker I wouldn't try it though.

85_600
05-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Got a picker (father's neighbor has one). I'd only have to buy a stand. they aren't too bad on price. A 1000 lb'er costs like $60.

Good to hear about the no axles. What's this about the flexplate though? Is it difficult to get to?

dwh4784
05-23-2006, 01:51 AM
It's not too hard, but you have to rotate the engine between bolts. If you remove the lower dust shield between the block/tranny you can see the flexplate....and there are three bolts connecting it to the torque converter you need to remove.

talanthalus
05-30-2006, 09:59 AM
...I've messed with mine so much, getting the whole engine out of the 5-speed isn't really hard anymore...and that might be a little sad, considering it still doesn't run right. :)

85_600
05-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I've finally decided on a course of action here. I'll have details in a little while once I get some more info. It's not bad, different perhaps, but definately not bad, at least for the wallet:D <---THIS doesn't mean another for sale thread either:D