PDA

View Full Version : Back to the track! 2 Caravans and a Sundance

Dave
11-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Took our Mopars out to Dragway 42 again for one last hoorah of the season.

The 89 Caravan Woodie did a best of:

1/8... 9.745 at 68.91
1/4... 15.446 at 84.77

All at 13psi and 14" BFG drag radials.

The 89 Sundance did a:

60... 2.289
1/8... 9.731 at 70.87
1/4... 15.193 at 88.74

Around 13psi on 15" BFG drag radials.

The 90 Caravan did a:

60... 1.941
1/8... 8.498 at 80.07
1/4... 13.2500 at 104.38

Running 20psi boost and 55 shot of nitrous.

Video soon.

-Bryan

Dave
11-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I was really expecting faster times from the 90 Caravan. I was determined to run 12's and I think I would have gotten it if I had more time. But in the end it busted. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy9N-l46N4Y

turbovanmanČ
11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Nice, your getting closer, :eyebrows:

How did you break it or what did you break?

BIG PSI
11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
He ran the slick pressure pretty low 13psi and the bumps at the finish line blew out the
sidewall of the driver's slick (on the outside). This happened at 104.38 mph. Luckily, Bryan did not roll it and there was NO damage to the Mini other than the slick and a $200 tow bill home.

Chuck

turbovanmanČ
11-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Bummer, :(

Why the tow bill? He doesn't drive on the street with slicks does he? I run mine at 13-14 psi too but then the 24.s and 26's have alot of sidewall. I think I ran the 22's at around 15 back in the day, lol.

Are you running an LSD, you can see the van does the peg leg burnout, it will go boom one day, :o

BIG PSI
11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
The silver van has an OBX posi
The blue van has a phantom grip posi.

Bryan is still learning how to run the Mini on slicks.
As for driving to the track on slicks, NO, we drive there on street tires and then jack up the Mini and change over to the slicks. Problem was that we broke the locking lug nut key when trying to remove the slicks, so we were stuck.

So we called AAA and the tow truck driver said that AAA will not pay fro tows from a Drag Strip.
I called the Vice President of AAA today in Akron, Oh and filled a complaint and they are going to refund my $200.00

Next Year the silver Mini will be in the 12's NO MATTER WHAT.

Chuck

turbovanmanČ
11-16-2009, 08:43 PM
The silver van has an OBX posi
The blue van has a phanton grip posi.

Bryan is still learning how to run the Mini on slicks.
As for driving to the track on slicks, NO, we drive there on street tires and then jack up the Mini and change over to the slicks. Problem was that we broke the locking lug nut key when trying to remove the slicks, so we were stuck.

So we called AAA and the tow truck driver said that AAA will not pay fro tows from a Drag Strip.
I called the Vice President of AAA today in Akron, Oh and filled a complaint and they are going to refund my $200.00

Next Year the silver Mini will be in the 12's NO MATTER WHAT.

Chuck

Weird, you can see the silver van peg leg? :confused:

Gotcha, bum deal but then good deal on calling, :thumb:

If you can't get 12's using :nx:, you better give up, :lol:

Vigo
11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Both the vans did well, all considered..

Sounds like HOLATTA needs more tuning than anything.

And Derwood is smoking fast for 11-13psi in a big auto van! Most turbo minis running 11 psi run what.. 17.0?

GLHNSLHT2
11-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think the silver van is peg legging. It wouldn't jerk to the right like that if 1 tire wasn't spinning. But the right lane looks like it leans to the right after the burnout box. My tona does that if it's on a crown and I spin the tires. It'll slide to whichever way the road leans. No Ebrake? Get the slicks a bit warmer? You guys really need to ditch the i/c. It's choking the van off.

BIG PSI
11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't think the silver van is peg legging. It wouldn't jerk to the right like that if 1 tire wasn't spinning. But the right lane looks like it leans to the right after the burnout box. My tona does that if it's on a crown and I spin the tires. It'll slide to whichever way the road leans. No Ebrake? Get the slicks a bit warmer? You guys really need to ditch the i/c. It's choking the van off.

I promise next year we will have a new I/C, custom built (large) 2 piece intake, a real header, lexan windows in the rear, fiberglass bucket seats, roll bar, fuel cell with braided steel fuel lines and AN fittings plus some type of stand alone.

Chuck

Dave
11-17-2009, 02:43 AM

Yup. I've never had the van do a one tire fire with the OBX. Kick --- posi for the cost. I needed to warm the tires more but I was afraid to touch the E-brake. I forgot to try it when I was home. I remember a while back after hitting the park brake the pedal went to the floor. I didnt want that doing 105mph. ;)

We're looking at Turbos Unleashed for a custom intercooler right now.

Reaper1
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Nice runs...looks like you had fun anyways!

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Both the vans did well, all considered..

Sounds like HOLATTA needs more tuning than anything.

And Derwood is smoking fast for 11-13psi in a big auto van! Most turbo minis running 11 psi run what.. 17.0?

Yep, tuning for sure.

My friends clone van with a stock mitsu, auto, side pipe exit with cat, no ic, ran 16's on street tires, 12 psi, :nod:

Vigo
11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
My friends clone van with a stock mitsu, auto, side pipe exit with cat, no ic, ran 16's on street tires, 12 psi,

Cant wait to get mine running with 5spd :D

Big_P
11-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Sucks, Bryan, but next year you'll let 'er rip!

and FWIW I bought a set of junky locking lug nuts at Autozone or something like that, the first time I used the impact gun to put them on (with the torque stick of course), it broke and I had to cut it off with a torch. I went to the dealer, spent $45 on good ones and never looked back :thumb:

DBB mini
11-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Nice runs! Good to see some fast mini's.:thumb:

BIG PSI
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
We looked at the Sundance today on timing and found it to be at 4 degrees.
We moved it to 10, sure feels better.

O well, time to plan for next year.

Chuck

MILKCARTON
11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Nice runs! I love going to the track with a group of turbo mini's. Just curious, why are you guys running so short of tires? Are you giving it the 55 hp hit right out of the gate? Anyway nice runs and congrats on the times:thumb:

Dave
11-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Nice runs! I love going to the track with a group of turbo mini's. Just curious, why are you guys running so short of tires? Are you giving it the 55 hp hit right out of the gate? Anyway nice runs and congrats on the times:thumb:

They were just the ones we had in the garage. Next year we're buying some MT 24.50x8.0-15's with tubes.

The nitrous is off the signal wire from the TPS to a WOT signal. So as soon as I mash it it's on.

Vigo
11-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey milkcarton that cargo van might actually look really slick with shaved door handles and one color of white.. i never even considered that for a normal one.

Mine looks like --- no matter which way you look at it :(

Dave
11-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Hey milkcarton that cargo van might actually look really slick with shaved door handles and one color of white.. i never even considered that for a normal one.

Mine looks like --- no matter which way you look at it :(

I like his too. Those Centerlines look sick on a van. ;)

I think we'll try some Weld Pro Stars for next year.

DodgeZ
11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
60... 1.941
1/8... 8.498 at 80.07
1/4... 13.2500 at 104.38

Those are some odd --- numbers! good job tho!

ohiorob
11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
We looked at the Sundance today on timing and found it to be at 4 degrees.
We moved it to 10, sure feels better.

O well, time to plan for next year.

Chuck

that's odd, thought it was at 13. don't know what i did wrong :o.

sorry Chuck

dragway 42 SUCKS. go to Norwalk in May for there sport compact race.

Dave
11-18-2009, 10:31 AM
60... 1.941
1/8... 8.498 at 80.07
1/4... 13.2500 at 104.38

The MPH or the 60'? I think the nitrous made the numbers fudge a little.

that's odd, thought it was at 13. don't know what i did wrong :o.

sorry Chuck

dragway 42 SUCKS. go to Norwalk in May for there sport compact race.

Hell it still felt pretty quick to me, Rob. :thumb:

I think we'll be attending QCR or Norwalk a lot more next season. I'm tired of dodging pot holes...

On a side note, I wonder if anyone can help us on this. Upon staging and trying to bring the van up on the converter it takes forever to bring it to life. I can brake boost up to 3,000 RPMs not a problem, however to get my last 600-800 RPMs it take's literally about 3 seconds. We're running a FWD Motion Stage 2 T/C advertised at I think a 4,200 stall, the timing is dead on and at 12* base, at 3,600 it's making about 12psi of boost. Any tips to get her up there a lot faster? I can't be real competitive with lag like that...

Vigo
11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
The MPH or the 60'? I think the nitrous made the numbers fudge a little.

Im not sure whats wrong with those numbers... the 1/8th to 1/4 et seems normal. gaining 24mph seems kinda strong for an 8v that only trapped 104, thats the only thing that my n3wb brain is catching. I dont know a thing about nitrous, though...

I can brake boost up to 3,000 RPMs not a problem, however to get my last 600-800 RPMs it take's literally about 3 seconds. We're running a FWD Motion Stage 2 T/C advertised at I think a 4,200 stall, the timing is dead on and at 12* base, at 3,600 it's making about 12psi of boost.

It really sounds like the converter just isnt as loose as they said it was. That happens a lot when builders try to do really high stall off of bsically stock parts.. I think the only thing you could do to get up to 3600 faster with that converter (without changing big stuff like cam timing or compression ratio) would be to get into boost faster from a brake-stall which would take fancy timing and fuel work in the cal (anti-lag). OR if you have worlds tiniest drill bit you can make yourself a 10hp nitrous jet and spray while brake-stalling to get it up there quicker:lol:

I have the strangest feeling everything i said in this post could be wrong...:o

ohiorob
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Bryan, try this. bring the rpm up to where you feel it slightly pushing on the van. wait to the lights come down then smash it on the 3rd yellow. let the nitrous bring the boost up then let go of the brakes. it takes some time to get it just right.

on a pro tree i make no boost on the line.

Dave
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
I tried smashing it but it still takes forever.

turbovanmanČ
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
They were just the ones we had in the garage. Next year we're buying some MT 24.50x8.0-15's with tubes.

Why tubes? They really aren't needed unless your spinning the slicks on the rim.

On a side note, I wonder if anyone can help us on this. Upon staging and trying to bring the van up on the converter it takes forever to bring it to life. I can brake boost up to 3,000 RPMs not a problem, however to get my last 600-800 RPMs it take's literally about 3 seconds. We're running a FWD Motion Stage 2 T/C advertised at I think a 4,200 stall, the timing is dead on and at 12* base, at 3,600 it's making about 12psi of boost. Any tips to get her up there a lot faster? I can't be real competitive with lag like that...

Its your cal or the converter is too tight. I played with my cal and got it to build boost easily-timing has alot to do with it. My converter is too tight but playing around, I got it to launch out of the hole, :thumb:

60... 1.941
1/8... 8.498 at 80.07
1/4... 13.2500 at 104.38

Seems fine to me, sure his 1/4 mile time is slow but that's because he's not coming out very hard then the :nx: pulls him at the top end.

ohiorob
11-18-2009, 04:31 PM
then mash it on the 2nd yellow :D. I would play with it in the driveway and see what works. I'm sure the neighbors won't mine ;)

MILKCARTON
11-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I like his too. Those Centerlines look sick on a van. ;)

I think we'll try some Weld Pro Stars for next year.

Thanx, the cargo van is my buddies, ran 13.5 here at 4700 ft.@ 15 psi. I love the wheels on it, we run 26x8x14 slicks. got it figured out now, had to mix some regular gas with the e85, runs great now @ 25 psi, cant wait to get back to the track. Oh yea about the side door, try to find a window delete door for a caravan, thats the right color, let alone right shade!:)

Vigo
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
then mash it on the 2nd yellow . I would play with it in the driveway and see what works. I'm sure the neighbors won't mine

Well if he goes all the way from the garage to the street he could almost practice the 330'... :p

I guess i could do.. but there'd be some turns:yuck:

try to find a window delete door for a caravan, thats the right color, let alone right shade

Yes but ANY kind of white paint would be cheap and easy.. dont even need a clearcoat! A rustoleum job would make that van look a lot better for very little $$:nod:

MILKCARTON
11-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Thats true, maybe you should take your own advice and do something with those 40 dollar wheels on the K car, any color but silver.:nod:

t3rse
11-19-2009, 02:38 AM
I ran a small slick at 6# cold and no issues other than nasty tire shake...in a light car.

Simon: tubes are for safety, beadlocks are to prevent spinning inside the rim. :confused:

turbovanmanČ
11-19-2009, 03:33 AM
I ran a small slick at 6# cold and no issues other than nasty tire shake...in a light car.

Simon: tubes are for safety, beadlocks are to prevent spinning inside the rim. :confused:

How do you figure tubes are for safety? :confused: I know what bead locks are for, I already said it. :o

BIG PSI
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
How do you figure tubes are for safety? :confused: I know what bead locks are for, I already said it. :o

What tubes are used for according to Mickey Thompson Tires is that they hold the air in the slick more constant. I did some resesrch via phone call to them. So with that being said, I am not braket racing the Mini so consistancy is NOT my goal. I will not be buying tubes.

Chuck

Dave
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Maybe we should just dodge potholes at the drag strip when doing 105. ;)

Vigo
11-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Thats true, maybe you should take your own advice and do something with those 40 dollar wheels on the K car, any color but silver

Dont you mean 40 pound wheels?:lol: Those suckas are heavy. But yes i agree.. Im trying to figure out what to do about colors on that thing. Im leaning towards some kind of flat green:confused2: And havent thought about wheels yet, dark grey or flat black most likely. Whatever it is, its gotta be CHEAP. :love:

gasketmaster
11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Nice job guys :thumb:

Dave
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Nice job guys :thumb:

Thank you, MinivanJesus. :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
What tubes are used for according to Mickey Thompson Tires is that they hold the air in the slick more constant. I did some resesrch via phone call to them. So with that being said, I am not braket racing the Mini so consistancy is NOT my goal. I will not be buying tubes.

Chuck

Yeah, too rich for my blood, I don't mind adding air every week, ;)

Aries_Turbo
11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Dont you mean 40 pound wheels?:lol: Those suckas are heavy. But yes i agree.. Im trying to figure out what to do about colors on that thing. Im leaning towards some kind of flat green:confused2: And havent thought about wheels yet, dark grey or flat black most likely. Whatever it is, its gotta be CHEAP. :love:

you cant do flat green lol. im going to do flat green (olive drab) on my k car. :)

then again, our cars are almost identical anyway now as it is. :)

Brian

Vigo
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
you cant do flat green lol. im going to do flat green (olive drab) on my k car.

Hey, stop beating me to all my best ideas! :p

Yeh our cars are pretty similar.. and if you came up with that color idea too i must be on the right track.. :)

Aries_Turbo
11-28-2009, 03:53 PM
i think it would look badass with blacked out trim/grille/headlight cones etc. maybe some nighshades on the lenses too.

and an industrial looking airdam with big rivets holding it on.

i actually have a bug deflector off of an s-10 i think that when flipped upside down, follows the bumper lines of the k car awesomely. combine that with a splitter would look awesome.

Brian

PS. who cares, you are in TX. we can have identical cars. the possibility of them meeting, getting pissed and storming off for wearing the same outfit are slim. :) maybe at SDAC but thats ok. :)

Vigo
11-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Ive got other cars.. we can arrange not to show up with both aries in the same year :p

DodgeZ
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM
you guys are the ghey

Aries_Turbo
11-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Ive got other cars.. we can arrange not to show up with both aries in the same year :p

ill have my daytona there anyway. k car will be still under the knife.

you guys are the ghey

youre the ghey, fag.

Brian

John B
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
why are you guys running so short of tires?

I have the .91 gear set in my 413 and got a set of 20"X8X14 MT's to offset the gearing. How well do short tires work? I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

BIG PSI
02-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Well I bought a used pair of M & H Race Master Slicks mounted on a set of 15" Pumpers.
The slicks are like new and the rims are in good shape as well.
They measure 7.5 x 23 x 15.

I will be using those on the Woody Mini Van (DERWOOD) and
the 89 Sundance 5-speed (The KID).

I also purchased a large tranny cooler and poly tranny mount for DERWOOD.

For HOLATTA, I have bought a 58mm TM and will be getting a Big 2 Piece Intake made up next month.

Chuck

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I have the 1.91 gear set in my 413 and got a set of 21.5"X8X14 MT's to offset the gearing. How well do short tires work? I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I used the 22's in my van a few years ago, worked great but lowered my van too much so went to 24's then wore those out and stole a deal on some 26's.

John B
02-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I used the 22's in my van a few years ago, worked great but lowered my van too much so went to 24's then wore those out and stole a deal on some 26's.

Yeah, mine looks like a bloodhound on the trail with short tires on the front.
Still, with the Peloquin it should hook-up OK, at least that's the plan...:cool:

Ooops, I had to edit my post due to memory lapses! It's a .91 set and the slicks are 20X8X14. Sorry, I'm in Iraq and my car is in the garage back in Germany.

Ondonti
02-16-2010, 04:59 AM
My problem with short slicks is the lack of sidewall. If it was a 13" rim, less of an issue then a 14" rim. But, automatics don't seem to need the massive sidewall that helps 5 speed cars.

John B
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks!