PDA

View Full Version : What are some good shocks and struts for a Kcar?

87yorker
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
So im going to replace my struts and shocks, I have been looking at the KYB GR-2. Anyone have these? how much of a difference do they make? are they better than just a stock replacement? Also can we get adjustable ones? or anything?

cordes
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I have them in my omni and I think they are pretty good. If you want something really nice you will need to go with the Koni inserts from what I have seen as they don't make anything for non-L body cars any longer.

87yorker
11-13-2009, 12:02 AM
yeah Koni are WAY to much. I want sometime stiffer. Mine are all blown lol. how stiff is your car?

87yorker
11-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Is it true that Auto Zone has Bilstene for cheap? I have been hearing the KYB GR-2 on heavy cars SUCK. Whats the difference between the GR-2 and Gas a Just?

glhs727
11-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Autozone may show a bilstein listing but bilstein discontinued them years ago and none are to be had. Your best choice currently would be the KYB's

135sohc
11-13-2009, 01:03 AM
You can get a bilstein shock for the rear... Not a direct, approved application but its there as an option.

87yorker
11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah but im not to sure about mixing front and rears you know. Were is that bilstein listing?

tryingbe
11-13-2009, 10:23 AM
GR-2 worked good for 6 months, then blown afterward on my Daytona.

Koni all the way.

Mopar318
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
GR-2 worked good for 6 months, then blown afterward on my Daytona.

Koni all the way.

It seems like every shock I ever put on any car blows in 6 months. I think I have a shock curse. Good thing for LTW

Vigo
11-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Well for one thing an 87 new yorker is NOT a heavy car. Under 3000 lbs.

Ive had gr-2s and liked them a lot for the money. I intend to buy some more in the near future. They are better than anything you can buy at 'The Zone' and are still cheap. They ride very well and control body motions very well. The only thing they won't do well is handle a really stiff spring (like TWICE as stiff as stock, i.e. eibachs or coilover conversion). They will handle a stock new yorker spring or even a shelby daytona spring JUST FINE.

That said..
I would only buy the gr-2 struts for the front.

I say that only because there are much stiffer shocks available for the back, and you SHOULD mix if you want the car to handle. KYB gas-a-justs for the back are a step up from gr-2s and still cheap, and there's recently been talk about using shocks intended for another application if you want to go much stiffer: KYB MonoMax for ~$50/pc, bilstein for ~$70, adjustable ranchos for ~$90.

however, for stock springs, gr-2s in the front and gas-a-justs in the back is a perfectly good option and will make the car handle much better, and you should be able to get the full set shipped to you for under $200.