PDA

View Full Version : SC: Removing top dash cowl piece? How?

ohlarikd
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I have some pretty loud vibrations coming from somewhere in the center top of my dash. Picking any 80s Mopar and having a NVH hang up is not a good combo.

I want to remove that metal piece that goes across the top of the dash with the defroster vents in it. That should give me access to the trouble area (of not... sound travels all over and I could be wrong).

I took out the two screws in the defroster vent areas, but it seems to be stuck in there. It almost sounded like the foam was stuck and it was tearing away, so I stopped. Before I do something I may regret, has anyone removed this piece? I don't want to break anything if I don't have to of course... I guess I could replace the foam if I have to tear it out.

Thanks!

Derek

minigts
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Like 2 screws and just carefully pull it up from the sides, working too the middle. Start from the passenger side as it's easier to get to the piece. If there is anything holding it down, it's not permanent so don't worry.

ohlarikd
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Like 2 screws and just carefully pull it up from the sides, working too the middle. Start from the passenger side as it's easier to get to the piece. If there is anything holding it down, it's not permanent so don't worry.

Ok, yes - I only saw two screws and expected it to pop right out, but it didn't. Sometimes they put the 'magic fasteners' in place that end up breaking after the fact... I will try again tonight, thanks. Must just be really old foam stripping.

Derek

minigts
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Please keep in mind, this is an 85 Dodge. The idea of secret screws, special fasteners just wasn't in the budget. The SC's are lucky because we have armrest. The special NUMBERED GLHS cars didn't get this "feature". :)

ohlarikd
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
That is true - this car does seem to be, so far, only put together with screws. I feel like I could build the whole car with a cordless screwdriver.

Actually, all 87 Shelby Chargers did not have the 'armrest feature' either. I would have to weld in a floorpan bracket that you have on yours...

Derek

minigts
11-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Dang, looks like you got screwed. :p Yeah I figure that today we could build one of these cars pretty easily, minus the engine engineering of actually casting the head and block.