PDA

View Full Version : Body Control module questions

86Shelby
11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm working with a '91 Daytona, 2.5 TI, 5 spd, loaded for options. How interchangeable are the BCMs? Do I need to find one with the same options or would one from a car with fewer bells & whistles work? Is there any interchangability between model years, or models themselves?

Turbo_Rampage
11-12-2009, 03:12 AM
I read somewhere that 1990 and 1991 cannot be interchanged because in 1990 the pop up headlamp module was built into the body computer and in 1991 they made it separate... the body computer has neat options but seem to be troublesome with age. they give you a beep warning when you leave your signal on, the power locks don't work when the keys are in the ignition and the lights stay on for a minute when you turn them off and walk away.. I also like the auto door locks/unlock when you drive.

I'd imagine any Daytona/lebaron from 1991 would work...

supercrackerbox
11-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks. I don't actually need one at the moment, but this car has some wierd gremlins that just come and go. Figured I'd start looking for one just to have on hand mainly.

Interesting you mentioned the doors not locking with the keys in the ignition, I just discovered that the other night, lol.

Force Fed Mopar
11-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Are they interchangeable on cars with and without digital dashes?

Evilancer
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm working with a '91 Daytona, 2.5 TI, 5 spd, loaded for options. How interchangeable are the BCMs? Do I need to find one with the same options or would one from a car with fewer bells & whistles work? Is there any interchangability between model years, or models themselves?

You would want to find one from another Daytona very similar in options, and definetly must be the same year. There are 2 different BCM's, one for a car with alot of options, I believe the call it "premium" in my FSM, and one for a car without alot of options. Your Daytona probably has illuminated entry, and that all works thru the BCM, a base model Daytona's BCM wouldnt have that feature, and anything to do with the front end lights on the car including fog lights all goes thru the BCM also.

The BCM in your car is also year specific because when they first introduced the BCM in '90, the headlights were still controlled by a seperate module, in
'91 they eliminated that module and let the BCM control that feature. Even the BCM on a '92 car is different than one on a '91 because Chrysler moved to a different serial data bus in '92.

What I don't know is if you found a '91 J body with the same options as your Daytona if it would work in your Daytona.

Jon

supercrackerbox
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Bummer. I've never seen another '91 with the same options, definately not in a junkyard. The only option I can think that it doesn't have is ABS, but I don't know if that was even available.

Evilancer
11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Your Daytona Shelby is probably optioned alot like mine is, Overhead console, Enthusiast seat, pw,pl,pm, Infinity2, rear defrost, rear wiper,illuminated entry, leather seats. I'm crossing my fingers that my BCM doesnt go bad anytime soon, I know it would be a chore finding another one for it.

Yes ABS was an option in '91, thats one option that I'm glad the car doesn't have! The pump for the ABS is built right into the master cylinder, when they go bad its usually really expensive, and hard to find a used one that is still good.

Jon

supercrackerbox
11-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Yep, sounds like our cars might be twins. I'd like to see some pics of yours. I agree on the ABS thing. I do wish the power seat switches worked. I do have illuminated entry, although it doesn't light up. Haven't checked the bulbs yet. Been too busy with work and everything else.

I've never had to mess with it before, and I'd just as soon keep it that way.

Evilancer
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
If you would like to see some pics of mine, here is what it looks like now:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/Evilancer/?newest=1

And this is what it looked like when I first got it:
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/Evilancer/Daytona%20Shelby/

For your seat you might just need to take the switch assembly apart and clean all the contacts good. And for your illuminated entry, on the inside of the door, there is an switch that is connected to the door handle, it may have broken or just popped off. Its just plastic, I was careful with mine on my car when I had it apart, they seem fragile.

Jon

supercrackerbox
11-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Can the switches be removed without taking off the door panels? Or can you give me some tips on taking them off without breaking them? I briefly owned a '90 Shelby that I bought with no interior, and every time I found a later Daytona in the junkyards looking for parts, the panels were broken. I get the feeling they're kinda fragile.

Evilancer
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Yes you can remove the switches without removing the door panel. With a small screw driver, at the front of the switch assembly where the window buttons are, just gently pry up there and it should just pop up, then just pull it out a little more and disconnect the wiring.

Jon

Reaper1
11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
From what I remember and understand there are only 2 BCM's for each year, Base and Premium. Now, they may also be different for G/J bodies, but I don't know that one fro fact. I know in 1990 they were the same, but I've never read any literature on '91.