PDA

View Full Version : '89 11" vs '91 R/T 11" differences?

Directconnection
05-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Last night, I tear out my R/T brake setup along with one of my '89 11" brake setups ('89 T-II GTC)

I can't tell a freaking difference besides part #s! Everything dimensionally is the same between both hub assemblies (I call them knuckles, sorry)

I had always thought that the R/T brakes had special knuckles at the ball joint area because of the revised lower balljoint positioning of the cast control arms. I remember comparing brake setups at the junkyard a few years back between 2 minivans that differed in years and one was an '89-ish the other had the cast arms.

Does anyone have the part #s handy and pics available?

2.216VTurbo
05-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Look at the calipers, you will se they are different, not sure about the knuckles though. I thought the bolt up points varied some, if not they must be interchangeable no? I have the RT brakes on the Rampage and some GTC brakes on the TC but never really looked at them hard side by side.

turbovanmanČ
05-20-2006, 01:56 AM
The 89 setup has the caliper mounting bracket as part of the knuckle, the pads use the knuckle also, and I believe the bearing is the old press on hub style. The 91 GTC uses a different knuckle, the ball joint is higher up, the caliper has brackets that bolt on to the knuckle and it has a sealed bearing hub assembly-held on with 4 bolts.

Directconnection
05-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah. I remember this now! The bolt on bracket, and I knew the balljoint placement on the knuckle was different like I wrote in my initial post. I guess I got my 2 sets of Shelby brakes mixed up for some reason as one set had one different type of bearing that threw me off. It was a round bolt on instead of the squarish bolt ons. I'll have to dig deeper in my shelf and see what else I pull out.

Directconnection
05-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I looked high and low for my R/T brakes as I knew I had a set... at least at one point. I found yet another set of Shelby 11" brakes and was getting worried as the R/T brakes are slated for a different car with cast arms. Aha! I remember I packed them away in a safe place. Phew! Yeah, obvious difference as the ball joint position is 1" longer on these along with the big bolt on caliper bracket that I totally wigged out and forgot about. I used to tell people the differences, now I am the one who needs the be reminded all the time.

turbovanmanČ
05-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I looked high and low for my R/T brakes as I knew I had a set... at least at one point. I found yet another set of Shelby 11" brakes and was getting worried as the R/T brakes are slated for a different car with cast arms. Aha! I remember I packed them away in a safe place. Phew! Yeah, obvious difference as the ball joint position is 1" longer on these along with the big bolt on caliper bracket that I totally wigged out and forgot about. I used to tell people the differences, now I am the one who needs the be reminded all the time.

Don't worry Steve, I forget the odd item and have to be reminded. Our little minds can only hold so much, :eyebrows:

rbryant
05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
The 89 setup has the caliper mounting bracket as part of the knuckle, the pads use the knuckle also, and I believe the bearing is the old press on hub style. The 91 GTC uses a different knuckle, the ball joint is higher up, the caliper has brackets that bolt on to the knuckle and it has a sealed bearing hub assembly-held on with 4 bolts.

The 89 also uses the same bolt in wheel bearing...

Are you sure that the ball joint position changed in 91 not 89?
I have wondered this because it means that you could still use the 89 11" brakes w/ stamped stub strut arms without changing the geometries.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
The 89 also uses the same bolt in wheel bearing...

Are you sure that the ball joint position changed in 91 not 89?
I have wondered this because it means that you could still use the 89 11" brakes w/ stamped stub strut arms without changing the geometries.

-Rich

Yep, the ball joint didn't change until 91 when they went to cast arms. If you put the knuckles side by side, you can see it. I keep forgetting some 89's came with the bolt in bearing, :banghead:

TurboJerry
07-04-2006, 03:30 AM
I've changed my '89"s to '91+ "R/T" stuff. Kept the '89 rotors, got spindles from 91+ shadow / Spirit. Got calipers / adapters from '93+ mini's. (Rotors don't fit because of the large bolt circle.) Car is less twitchy, and does seem to stop better still......(great to begin with)

Directconnection
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Jerry... '91+ Shadow/Daytona/Lebaron spindles..... brake calipers and caliper adapter brackets from '93 minis and 11" rotors from the '89 and newer cars? (not minis though as you said) This hybriding of parts turns out to be exactly what the R/T brakes were all along?

TurboJerry
07-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Yes........ The R/T brakes are not so special after all.......

Directconnection
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes........ The R/T brakes are not so special after all.......

I knew they just couldn't have been specific for such a limited run of vehicles, but was unsure until now.

Very good info to know. Thanks for your input...we should pass this along.

TurboJerry
07-06-2006, 01:28 AM
I pass it along, but nobody listens....... Then they say "dude, where'd you get those R/T brakes!". Then the same people see my other car, "wwwhhhhhaaatttt, where did you get that second set!", etc. My van has them too.(small bolt circle) The JY's around here are awesome. Excellent prices, and lots of good stuff. I love the interchangeability these cars / vans have. IT's *way* too easy to play with.....

91DSX
07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
My 91' Daytona has "R/T" brakes stock . . . they are not "R/T" specific;)

TurboJerry
07-06-2006, 02:19 PM
That's *exactly* my point!

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Only the Grand and large bolt pattern Minivans came with 11 inch brakes. 91 and later you can use everything except the rotors and wheel bearings, just buy some car small bolt pattern versions and your off to the races. Also, 91 and up all use the same knuckle with slight differences car to van, so to upgrade to 11's, you just need the caliper and mounting bracket. Pretty simple, :thumb:

Directconnection
07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I pass it along, but nobody listens....... Then they say "dude, where'd you get those R/T brakes!". Then the same people see my other car, "wwwhhhhhaaatttt, where did you get that second set!", etc.

Ever have: "man...why does your intake almost hit your hood?" :evil:

TurboJerry
07-11-2006, 01:25 AM
The intake cleared no problem.... Hehehe. Most people didn't notice anything at all........