PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust sound going from stock exhaust size up to 3In?

87yorker
11-07-2009, 01:28 PM
So with the many hours looking into what exhaust I wanna do on the yorker, I want something pretty loud but deep, and I'm going to dual it off out the back with some tips. Should I just do 3in turbo back with nothing? or Add a flowmaster 40 in there?

bakes
11-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Go with a 3" swing valve and 3" back to a 3" off set in and center out flow master quite to get pass the fuzz at idle but loud when on the happy pedal.:D

Mopar318
11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Go with a 3" swing valve and 3" back to a 3" off set in and center out flow master quite to get pass the fuzz at idle but loud when on the happy pedal.:D

Its the oposite with a big turbo and no muffler. Loud as ---- at idle, but in boost its almost not audible.

bakes
11-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Its the oposite with a big turbo and no muffler. Loud as ---- at idle, but in boost its almost not audible.

untill the wastegate opens wide open and bypass the turbo ask me how i know that one:eyebrows:

Mopar318
11-07-2009, 07:25 PM
untill the wastegate opens wide open and bypass the turbo ask me how i know that one:eyebrows:

Did it end in carnage??

bakes
11-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Did it end in carnage??

That is a yes and no answer:eyebrows: but i was driving my LS with the waste gate wide open for 4 month and still making 20psi and yes it was louder then with it closed so much that the previous own put a quieter muffler on it and it was still too loud

the bad thing was it was so loud it was drowning out the motor noises that i missed some sounds that would have told me to back off the happy pedal .

87yorker
11-08-2009, 12:20 AM
How much is a swing valve? and how hard are they to put in? So what would be the difference between 2.5" and 3"?

bakes
11-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Go see Chris at TU they have a batch of 3" swing valves coming right out of the oven!!!!!! well worth the investment!
I would go with the 3"
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43874

clocktowersniper
11-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I ran 3" front to back on my RT and it had a nice rumble at idle, No louder than my V8 Durango at idle. Under boost it had a nice tone and was not too loud. I was running a high flow cat though.

87yorker
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
So it would be a deeper sound than my stock size im running now? side exit right?

GLHNSLHT2
11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3762 Fired up cold with no O2 feedback yet it's kinda loud.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3759 At the end of this video you can hear the sound level change. The O2 starts feeding back when that happens.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3756 And some free revving. You can just hear it pop on overrun at the end.

You'll need quicktime to watch them as they're off my cell phone.

GLHNSLHT2
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
oh I guess I should give my setup. stock T2 intake side and head, ported exhaust manny, .63 housing on a T2 turbo with a ported wastegate hole (won't open for those vids) with a ported 2.5" swingvalve, Rick Diogo's 3" downpipe (different than the TU/FWD piece) and TU's 3" catback exhaust, no muff or cat.

thefitisgay
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
my 2.2 t2 garret daytona was pretty much bone stock except the over the axel pipe and muffler was removed at teh seam and i had a ported exhaust mani on was pretty freakin loud... sounded nice at idle though, people said it sounded like a diesel... v8.... all kinda stuff... when id stand on it it would be so loud my ears would ring a little lol

oh yea and i had a 2.25 swingvalve on it... its noticably quieter with a mitsu turbo in it but at idle it sounded GREAT

Juggy
11-09-2009, 09:25 AM
id really suggest a walker(dynomax) ultraflow

its been my muffler of choice for the past 9 years, even tho they have changed their design recently too one thats a lil more restrictive. it beats out a flowcrapper hands down IMO

go 3" and skip the cat. you wont regret it. the car will sound healthy and it wont have that drowny sound, or pop off throttle like them fart cans

Ive opted for the 3" cat back from TU, in combination with some band clamps, its only a matter of minutes b4 the exhaust is on or off, which is great if you like doin that sort of thing for "off road purposes only" hahahahaha ;)

87yorker
11-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Hummmmmm, i will think about that one.

minigts
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I have the 3" exhaust from TU, swingvalve all the way back with a side dump exhaust. Without the muffler, it was so loud I couldn't go through the drive-thru without needing to turn the car off. WITH the muffler, it hums at idle and is a little loud at WOT, but sounds great at cruising speeds. :)

Mopar318
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYsYNsWuSOI

3" side exit exhaust. to4 hybrid turbo. No muffler, but I do run a cat.

Notice it super loud at idle but it gets quite when in boost. The turbo really quites down the exhaust.