PDA

View Full Version : Any fix for slightly rattling rear hatch latch? (SC)

ohlarikd
11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
87 Shelby Charger: My rear hatch latch area has a little looseness to it. When I hit a bump, I think the hatch rattles in the catch area. To verify, I wrapped the hatch U latch in electrical tape, and sure enough, the noise is gone.

I tried to see if I could lower the catch, but it is already on its lowest range of adjustment. Is there any other solution anyone has come up with? I could drill out the catch so I could lower it a little more, but I don't like modifying stock parts if I can help it.

Thanks!

Derek

TurboRon25
11-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Turn the adjustable rubber stop bumper thingies out with your fingers.

I always make it so that you have to give a good push to close something. I do it on all my cars when I get them and it makes the body lines match up too. Hoods, trunks, hatches.

Ron

ohlarikd
11-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Turn the adjustable rubber stop bumper thingies out with your fingers.

I always make it so that you have to give a good push to close something. I do it on all my cars when I get them and it makes the body lines match up too. Hoods, trunks, hatches.

Ron

Hmm, I didn't notice any adjustable stops, I'll have to go give a closer look... thanks!

Derek

TurboRon25
11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
On Chargers they are in the corners (furthest from the hinges) on the underside of the hatch.

Ron

ohlarikd
11-07-2009, 02:29 PM
On Chargers they are in the corners (furthest from the hinges) on the underside of the hatch.

Ron

Ah ha - they were turned all the way in. I turned them almost all the way out, and I will take a little ride in a little bit to see if its better. I can tell its tighter already since it didn't close the first time I put it down. Thanks!

Derek

ohlarikd
11-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Hatch is still making a lot of noise. I removed all the plastics so I can see the hatch while driving (its a very safe thing to do...). i can see when i hit bumps, the hatch is actually moving sideways, not up and down. It makes quite the racket. I also have some serious vibrations going on somewhere back there. I picked the wrong car for someone who has NVH hangups...

Anyway, not sure what I can do about the sideways movements. It has a really stiff suspension, so maybe there isn't much I can do. Maybe with the normal softer springs, this does not happen.

I do know in the spring, I am going to Dynamat the whole interior and hope for the best.

Derek