PDA

View Full Version : it finally let go

ottawa rogue
05-19-2006, 11:54 AM
i was driving to work this morning, when the trans. went out:mad:
the only gear i have is reverse, and it slips pretty badly, all forward gears are gone. and there is a loud grinding noise when you try to go forward.

looks like i've got plans for this weekend....anything i should look out for once i get it apart? i've never been in a 413 before
bryan

turbovanmanČ
05-19-2006, 04:14 PM
If your not familiar with auto's, I would say don't take it apart. There very complex and one part in the wrong place can grenade the whole unit.

Barring that warning, you will need an overhaul kit with the clutch steels, new or reman TC, brake cleaner, pry bars, RTV, circlip pliers, a vice and a modded piece of 3 inch exhaust pipe to get the 2-3 clutch apart, feeler guages, air gun with a rubber nozzle to air check the trans when putting it back together, ATSG manual. Take your time and very carefully lay stuff out as you take it apart. If you don't have the manual, don't take it apart.

Check out the trans FAQ's, theres tons of info on how to modify it and the valve body for better shifting and life. Also, go buy the diff pin retainers from Mopar.

ottawa rogue
05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks Simon. I've built a couple of autos, but this is the first transaxle i've had apart-i'm used to MT653 allisons and such:D I've got a new ATSG manual and i've got all the parts located.
the main thing i needed to know is if there are any little "quirks" to look out for on this one?
i just got it home, i have nothing in any forward gear, engine just revs.
in reverse, there is a loud grinding noise, but no movement. wonder if this is the clutch teeth thing i've read about?

also, i've got a 31th sitting in the garage, diff pin went through the bellhousing
but it was working fine when this happened. is there anything that can be used for an upgrade aside from the planetaries?

once i get it out and tore apart, i'll post some pics of the carnage
Bryan

turbovanmanČ
05-20-2006, 01:26 AM
You can use the diff carrier, and the larger bearing housing on the drivers side. Also, weld up the planetaries, they only just weld the pins in and they break easily under moderate abuse.

ottawa rogue
05-21-2006, 01:07 PM
ok, if the diff. carrier is still usable in the neon tranny, will i have to go with late model axles? i'm still running the early model smaller spline axle

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
ok, if the diff. carrier is still usable in the neon tranny, will i have to go with late model axles? i'm still running the early model smaller spline axle

Nope, your axles will work fine.

jckrieger
05-24-2006, 01:02 AM
I had the same problem with my 89 turbo Caravan and it turned out one of the sun gears stripped, causing the grinding of all forward gears and partial use of reverse. I bet this is what happened... take pictures of the carnage!

ottawa rogue
05-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I had the same problem with my 89 turbo Caravan and it turned out one of the sun gears stripped, causing the grinding of all forward gears and partial use of reverse. I bet this is what happened... take pictures of the carnage!
that's pretty much what happened to me, all i had left was reverse, and it was slipping pretty badly.
by the time i got the car home, i'd lost the grinding in the forward gears, lost reverse totally and the grinding noise now happens in reverse.

one weird thing i did notice when this happened was that when i got it pulled off of the road, the car would go into reverse and move a little by putting it in low 1 :confused: .
man, i'm glad i got that parts tranny, the hard parts look ok in it(aside from the diff carrier- its wallowed out)

I'll post pics once i get the trans out, i've got a few things i have to finish up first. Besides, it's hot here and the wife's caravan has got some kickass A/C,
that sucker blows snowflakes out of the dash:D :D :D

ottawa rogue
05-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Nope, your axles will work fine.

AAARGGGHHH!!! it doesn't matter now, Simon-that carrier is seriously wallowed out:mad:
unless you have a source for oval diff pins:D