PDA

View Full Version : Serious Problem ? bowed glass

135sohc
11-02-2009, 12:13 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior782_2.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=shadowinterior_exterior782_2.jpg)

Both the d-side and to a lesser extent the p-side top corner of the windshield is bowed up like that. Maybe its normal for a P body glass to be shaped like that but it sure doesnt look right. :confused2:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior777.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=shadowinterior_exterior777.jpg)

boost geek
11-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Could rust under the glass bow it out like that? My 87 Sundance had major rust up there till Bakes cut it out and welded new metal in.

bakes
11-02-2009, 01:03 AM
or the glass was made like that i have see some bad glass straight out of the box

135sohc
11-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Rust isnt an issue here. Thats safelite glass... :o

Guy who replaced it even commented about how clean the car was in regards to the pinchweld being 'very, very clean' for a car of this age.

I'm thinking its defective glass ?

89ShelbyGuy
11-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Bad mold i'd say..i am suprised the people installing it didn't say anything...that would annoy the hell out of me.

Tom

clocktowersniper
11-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Who let someone put that junk in your car!?!? Look at the bug on the glass, What does it say? Does it say XYG or SGC? Was it just put in? If so, make them warranty it with a better brand without dot code 563.
Also, realize the glass will need to be removed to put the molding back on.

135sohc
11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Its SGC. Prior glass was XYG

I'll be purchasing the proper 3 piece rigid rubber coated metal trim from
Omni-Potent to go with a new windshield.

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Depending on the DOT code, Most SGC is actually XYG. Even if its a true SGC made in Enfield, NC its still junk. The 3 piece kit is crappy, Go for the one piece unless you really are going for it to be original. They stopped using the 3 piece for a reason. I may still have a 3 piece that I put on DodgeZ's car and took back off on my van. If I do, you can have it. If you need the glass and molding, Let me know.
To answer Boost Geeks question, No rust wont bend the glass like that. The glass can crack from rust build up under it though. It can also deform a molding as well. Did Safelite prime the body or leave scratches all over the pinchweld from cutting it out?
Also, Just so you know, Safelite offers a lifetime warranty as do I on my stuff. If you are not happy with what you got, Make them re do it.
Look at my website, www.alinesautoglass.com
Look at things to know, All those installs/glass are Safelite/XYG.

135sohc
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
The one piece molding looks like complete Sh!t IMO. Maybe it was the crappyness of safelite's glass and installation, but honestly I have a one piece molding down in the garage. That I bought and was told its a genuine Mopar piece (has some sort of white glue pre applied inside of it). and even it looks like crap.
The original trim with the rubber edge is supposed to interlock with the drip rail seal and aid in wind noise sealing, remaining flexible in cold weather. This one piece trim got rock hard and non flexible in the cold weather and isnt as wide as the original stuff.

Safelite isnt touching my car again. There are scratches galore on the A-pillars that I can see and atleast 1 spot of rust on the pinch weld that I can see after completely removing the trim.
I made an appointment with a local place on saturday to evaluate what needs to be done to fix this screw up and use quality glass.

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
The one piece design was the original part and had issues. The problem was that it sits on top of the roof line in both corners and wears the paint off allowing rust. Another issue is that as these cars get older and the doors sag, They will close up against the windshield molding too tight and could stress crack the glass. The one piece molding has no metal in it and is totally flexible when warm but does get stiff when cold. If applied when cold, There is a possibility of wrinkles in the molding. They should warm the molding up or use a heat gun on it before installing it. The thing is most of these guys are either rookies and have never touched an old shadow and dont know any better or just dont care enough to do it right. I will make a list of the proper way to do the install. Now depending on brand of glue, some are primerless to glass. I would ask them to primer the glass anyway, Safer.

Dodge Shadow Windshield Install:
Remove wiper arms
Remove Cowl Panel
Remove rear view mirror
Remove windshield molding (may require some effort)
Remove windshield using preferred method (cold knife, equalizer, fein knife, etc.)
Remove old glue from body
Prepare body surface (remove any rust, scale, contamination)
Primer any scratches on body with pinchweld primer or bare metal primer compatible with adhesive
While primer is curing
Prepare windshield for install
Install molding (one piece or 3 piece)
Clean windshield frit band (VERY important)
Primer frit band with compatible glass primer
By now, The body primer should be ready for install
Shoot urethane to body
Make sure all seams are smoothed together
Set windshield in car and make sure its centered.
Reassemble car
Depending on adhesive, Do not drive for minimum 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
No car wash for 24 hrs.
Rain will not hurt a finished install.

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 08:32 AM
The one piece design was the original part and had issues. The problem was that it sits on top of the roof line in both corners and wears the paint off allowing rust. Another issue is that as these cars get older and the doors sag, They will close up against the windshield molding too tight and could stress crack the glass. The one piece molding has no metal in it and is totally flexible when warm but does get stiff when cold. If applied when cold, There is a possibility of wrinkles in the molding. They should warm the molding up or use a heat gun on it before installing it. The thing is most of these guys are either rookies and have never touched an old shadow and dont know any better or just dont care enough to do it right. I will make a list of the proper way to do the install. Now depending on brand of glue, some are primerless to glass. I would ask them to primer the glass anyway, Safer.

Dodge Shadow Windshield Install:
Remove wiper arms
Remove Cowl Panel
Remove rear view mirror
Remove windshield molding (may require some effort)
Remove windshield using preferred method (cold knife, equalizer, fein knife, etc.)
Remove old glue from body
Prepare body surface (remove any rust, scale, contamination)
Primer any scratches on body with pinchweld primer or bare metal primer compatible with adhesive
While primer is curing
Prepare windshield for install
Install molding (one piece or 3 piece)
Clean windshield frit band (VERY important)
Primer frit band with compatible glass primer
By now, The body primer should be ready for install
Shoot urethane to body
Make sure all seams are smoothed together
Set windshield in car and make sure its centered.
Reassemble car
Depending on adhesive, Do not drive for minimum 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
No car wash for 24 hrs.
Rain will not hurt a finished install.

135sohc
11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Total time the guy was here was 35 minutes from pulling up to leaving. Theres no way in hell he did all the prep work.

1966 dart wagon
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Is it that alot of people are lazy and just dont prime scratches in the windshield channel and then it rusts there???

Why else should it rust in a windshield channel, my honda is literly GONE on the upper seam, and my daytona needs a windshield but after seeing this, i dont really trust someone, Id HAVE to watch them put it in.

I would have just done it myself when i was in school but didnt have the extra money.

1966 dart wagon
11-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Total time the guy was here was 35 minutes from pulling up to leaving. Theres no way in hell he did all the prep work.

In school they had a guy do it in 20 , and that was explaining what he was doing too.(not like that really takes time but just something to consider)

A guy came to our shop and not rushing did it in 30 mintues. on a jeep

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Bull crap. I have been doing glass for 20 years. Anyone who does an install in 20 minutes is short cutting somewhere, somehow and they are playing with your safety. The flashover time on the pinchweld primer is 10 minutes alone.
Yes a windshield can be done in 20 minutes, Done right, No.
I have trained installers for 10 years and if I saw a tech do one that fast, I'd go behind them and bet I would find numerous short cuts.
Now consider different cars different procedures.
What kind of Jeep was it? The only one that can be done in 20 and done by the book is the old CJ's. They use a rubber gasket and get roped in. Nothing to it.
I will bet $500 that any glue in install done in 20 minutes was short cutted. The average windshield calls for a book time of 1.5-2 hours. Now an experienced guy who knows exactly what tools are necessary can cut it down to 45 minutes to 1 hour done exactly by the book.

You see, Everyone is so stuck on speed of install. They really need to be stuck on your safety and making sure they dont damage your car. And if the windshield is done right you will not get rust on top. Rust on top of the glass area is ALMOST ALWAYS because the windshield wasnt done correctly.

Its the number one reason why I bash Safelite so much. I trained for them for 8 years and upper management would never take my advice on a tech. It was always "who cares, get them in a van". Or they would say "Just get it in there, worry about it later". Then these techs would decide after 6 months of working for them they should own a biz of their own. If you only knew what these guys do to your car! I'd say a good 80% of the glass techs have no idea what is the right thing to do.

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Here is a video you should watch:
http://www.agrss.com/agrss_video.htm

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Heres another:
http://www.agrss.com/agrss_airbag_demo.htm

clocktowersniper
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Now one thing I dont agree with on AGRSS is how they say only AGRSS shops know what they are doing. We are not AGRSS registered and wont be. We do follow the standard but dont believe in paying a fee to get a patch for my coat saying I am part of an elite club. I do however support licensing of shops with fines imposed on hack shops. AGRSS has no enforcement power so its more of just a do gooder club. They have come up with a good set of guidelines though. And we are NGA and IGA certified. Those associations provide training while AGRSS does not.

DodgeZ
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Franks is the man. It takes longer then 20 mintues, as i have watched frank install the right way

clocktowersniper
11-04-2009, 12:04 AM
There is actually an auto glass olympics held once a year. They are graded on speed and doing it right. I dont think anyone has made it into the 20 minute range yet on the average car. Now there are some that can be done in 20-30 minutes. Those are the ones with no cowl panel to remove and the moldings are part of the glass.

135sohc
11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Quoted $225 (tax included) for PGW glass installed. Done at the shop (inside) and all the prep work done right.

clocktowersniper
11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Cool! Who did it?

135sohc
11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I havnt had it done yet. Thats how it would be done according to the guy on the phone.

Now to just find the time :o

clocktowersniper
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM
kekekeke!
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/64492-i-hate-crappy-service-dont-use/

135sohc
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm taking it down tomorrow, glass was ordered today. :thumb:

135sohc
11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Done. I personally watched like a hawk every step of the way. Came out great.

Guy said the old glass was 'beyond defective' and should have never been installed. its in the shed now so when the battle with insurance starts the evidence can speak for itself.

My only disappointment is the new glass (PPG) was made in china... Guy there said thats becoming more common now and even the OEM chrysler stuff is coming from there now.

135sohc
11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
New
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior794.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=shadowinterior_exterior794.jpg)
Old
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior795.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=shadowinterior_exterior795.jpg)

JohnnyIroc
11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
even the OEM chrysler stuff is coming from there now.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

clocktowersniper
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
He lied to you. The only OEM using Chines is GM. They are using FYG glass in some of their low end model cars. OEM Chrysler is using Pilkington, Guardian, or PPG under the Mopar and Safeguard names.
The glass he put in your car is not a PPG. It may say PPG on the glass but what he put in your car is EXACTLY what Safelite put in. It is really made by XYG. Yes it is more common to see Chinese parts but I send those back. Let me guess, DOT 563?? That would be XYG not PPG, They are DOT 18. I'd make them take that crap back out. But hey, Thats me. That stuff barely makes DOT standards.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-repair-service/geico-safelite-glass/geico-safelite-glass-xyg-gl-7z73c.htm
Its not hard to find non Chinese crap, He just didnt want to look. Ask Kevin. I have put 3 windshields in his cars, None Chinese.

clocktowersniper
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
He lied to you. The only OEM using Chines is GM. They are using FYG glass in some of their low end model cars. OEM Chrysler is using Pilkington, Guardian, or PPG under the Mopar and Safeguard names.
The glass he put in your car is not a PPG. It may say PPG on the glass but what he put in your car is EXACTLY what Safelite put in. It is really made by XYG. Yes it is more common to see Chinese parts but I send those back. Let me guess, DOT 563?? That would be XYG not PPG, They are DOT 18. I'd make them take that crap back out. But hey, Thats me. That stuff barely makes DOT standards.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-repair-service/geico-safelite-glass/geico-safelite-glass-xyg-gl-7z73c.htm
Its not hard to find non Chinese crap, He just didnt want to look. Ask Kevin. I have put 3 windshields in his cars, None Chinese.

Big_P
11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I've had pretty good luck with Safelite.