PDA

View Full Version : Cable Shifter in L-Body

GLHS592
12-27-2005, 10:27 PM
I've had a few people ask me, so I made up a crude page on my Cardomain site showing how I put a cable shifter in my Shelby Charger. I really haven't done too much editing or spell checking. If I made a mistake, let me know. If I'm not clear on something, just ask me.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/267451/5

The S is Silent
12-27-2005, 10:46 PM
That looks awesome. I wish I could weld, because I'd like to do that with my charger to make it look good.

GLHS592
12-27-2005, 10:48 PM
There was very little welding involved. You could probably take it somewhere and have it done. Surely, you have a buddy that has a welder. When I finally get a house built, I could do this mod for somebody cheap.

85shelbycharger
12-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Awesome write-up Kevin. I'm definitely going to use that as my guide when I go to install my 523 in my '86.

GLHS592
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
I just added two more pictures with the cover over it.

Also, the storage bin is unmodified. It just screws on like it did with the stock shifter.

The S is Silent
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
I'll ask around for somebody with a welder. This beats the hell out of mounting the shifter half on the hump with washers as spacers.

GLHSKEN
12-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Kevin, That write-up would make a great FAQ for the section..

GLHS592
12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Kevin, That write-up would make a great FAQ for the section..

Go ahead and use it. I still need to take a picture of the shifter installed without the storage bin on top. I also need to replace the existing pictures because I had to take them in bad lighting.

87 charger
12-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Boy I wish I lived down in that area.My brother does and has met kedavis. With guys like you around I could get a education for sure ! :nod: :nod: That was a great write up and I will be printing that out when I put my transmission in. By the way the cardomain site shows how much work you put in your car.And I will say that is one nice car and you do awesome work. :thumb:

minigts
12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Kevin's car is a perfect example of doing things right. You should read or view the write up of when he painted it. It's simply amazing the time and quality in it.

GLHS592
12-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Boy I wish I lived down in that area.My brother does and has met kedavis. With guys like you around I could get a education for sure ! :nod: :nod: That was a great write up and I will be printing that out when I put my transmission in. By the way the cardomain site shows how much work you put in your car.And I will say that is one nice car and you do awesome work. :thumb:

You can learn tons of stuff from guys on the internet. Most of my ideas came from SDML, Teamomni, and TD.com. Most of the stuff I can do is from just trying it. I've never taken a single welding class. I just bought a welder and started doing it.

Kevin's car is a perfect example of doing things right. You should read or view the write up of when he painted it. It's simply amazing the time and quality in it.

I wish I could take credit for the paint. My friend Brian Hatton painted it. I just helped. I only wish I could paint a car near as nice as he does.

85glhtii
12-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Excellent write-up Kevin!

Here's a link to my write-up if anyone is interested. I never really finished it completely, but you get the idea. Different process, but same results.

http://www.extremepsi.org/MembersArea/Chad/HTML/555conversion.htm

Chad-
www.extremepsi.org

GLHS592
12-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Wow, Chad! Great minds think alike. :) I wish I'd have pushed mine back a little further like you did. I was afraid that if I did, it wouldn't fit under the shifter box. Now I see it won't affect it. It would have been easier too. :thumb:

rbryant
12-28-2005, 07:46 PM
When I did this on the GLHS instead of cutting out the hole and making a plate I took the base off from an automatic shifter.... It was made to plug the hole and even has a nice sealing material on it from the factory and mounting tabs for the console!

I then cut a lot of the brackets off except for the ones that connect to the center console. That way it is easy to bolt it down.

Because I used a 568 I then used the automatic cable shifter hole for one cable and then drilled a hole on the far side of the exhaust tunnel for the other cable. This way you get a clean path for them to go directly to the shifter without having to do a 90 right at the tranny. One of the cables actually goes in front of the downpipe in order to avoid the turbo (I have a TU header).

It worked out much better than my first try on my old SC.

-Rich

85glhtii
12-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Wow, Chad! Great minds think alike. :) I wish I'd have pushed mine back a little further like you did. I was afraid that if I did, it wouldn't fit under the shifter box. Now I see it won't affect it. It would have been easier too. :thumb:

Yeah, that is about as far back as you can go. The actual shifter housing is basically touching the inside of the console near the shift boot. But, it works!

I never even thought about using an automatic block off plate, I bet that would work perfect tho... On my next GLH I am going to just weld in a plate over the hole after I cut out the hump. The rest of the floor is welded in anyways, what is one more spot!

Chad-
www.extremepsi.org

deuce dodge
12-29-2005, 09:43 PM
WELL DONE KEVIN

THE NEXT TIME IM STUCK HITTING SOME STUBBORN BOLT UNDER A TURBO MOPAR.......AND ITS 1:30AM .........I WILL THINK OF KEVINS POST AND SMILE..WELL DONE LAD..WELL DONE....

i would love to see a post on the different cables on those cable shifted trannys.....they can be unfun.

deuce