PDA

View Full Version : Best Brush on Sound Insulation?

jckrieger
05-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok, here's the story:

I have an 87 CSX that is *just* starting to show its age (water leaking into the body and getting the floor wet). I'm finally getting the leaks fixed and would like to remove all the wet insulation from the firewall and replace it with some sort of brush on or stick on material to help reduce noise. What is an economical, yet water resistant insulation that you guys have tried? I've heard truck bedliner works pretty well, but I'd prefer something more like what the DSM's use on the interior (thick, but hard tar-like stuff). I tried searching for "sound insulation" but I couldn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is a re-post.

Clark

JDAWG
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
like this?
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=35&ObjectGroup_ID=37&SO=2&filter=sheet

jckrieger
05-18-2006, 05:31 PM
That's the stuff! Now I won't have to worry about trying to save all this wet insulation :thumb:

JeremyL
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I've used some stuff they used to sell at b-quiet.com that worked well, and the stuff on parts express looks similar.

Also they have a similar thing at most Home Depot stores. It's a liquid for patching things like trailer house roofs that you brush/roll on and it dampens sound well. It comes in one and five gallon containers. I did that to the doors of my work truck & it made a world of difference without spending mucho $$.

jckrieger
05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
I bought 12 10''x10'' squares of the tar/rubber stuff for the firewall, but I'll definitely consider the roof coating for the floor. I used to work at Menards.. should have thought about that!