PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous questions

WVRampage
05-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Well I have ran about 2 bottles out in my rampage(10lbs) The kit is the NOS-5208,I cant remember what jets are in it but the instructions gave a list of fuel pressures and recomended jet size for the hp output.The problem is on our cars at different boost pressures our fuel changes and will take up from just right to a bit on the rich side,but if a regulator was put on the input of teh fuel soloniod it would be a constant pressure at the nozzle does any one have experience with this and have a idea what kind of regulator could be used.

Tony Hanna
05-18-2006, 02:10 AM
The only problem I can see with that is that with a non referenced regulator, you'd actually lose pressure as the boost built. For example if you were running 40 psi through a fixed regulator to your fuel solenoid, at 20 psi of boost you'd only be seeing 20 psi of fuel pressure at the nozzle. The other 20 psi would be lost "fighting" against the boost pressure. I'd be worried about going lean. On top of that, you've got the boost pressure "fighting" the bottle pressure on the nitrous side. I know 15-30 psi difference on the nitrous side is hardly cause for concern, but it's something to think about.
I've done forced induction, and I've done nitrous, but mixing the two runs you into some interesting challenges.
Good Luck,

WVRampage
05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
true I was thinking of that the other day,I guess I should use a pressure switch so it will only come on at a presset boost were all the pressures are right.

zin
06-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Again, I'm late to the party. But here goes anyway. The system is made to work with boost, you don't need to limit the activation to a pre-set boost level to make it work correctly. The system was tuned with about 40 PSI in mind, but the higher baseline pressure isn't a big problem and might be needed if your fuel pump is a little weak (not holding the same fuel pressure with or w/out the nitrous on). That being said, if the system runs too rich, you can get some smaller fuel jets, though I'd plan on getting a number of them (they are cheap enough) to creep up on it rather than taking a step too far and leaning it out. The stock jets your kit came with would have been 37 nitrous and 22 fuel. I'd suggest getting 18-21 jets, for tuning purposes (if requied). But before you make any changes, be sure your bottle pressure is up to the recommended 950 PSI, it can make a world of difference! Too low and it'll richen up. The kits are pretty much designed to have enough extra fuel to cover up minor fuel issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Ground Rat
07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
zin, did you tee into the fuel line right after the fuel pressure regulator for your kit's fuel supply? This would be the same way a wet kit is ran on a n/a motor correct?

zin
07-28-2006, 11:02 PM
zin, did you tee into the fuel line right after the fuel pressure regulator for your kit's fuel supply? This would be the same way a wet kit is ran on a n/a motor correct?

You need to splice in before the regulator, otherwise you only get what the engine doesn't want and as such, the pressure in the return line is unreliable. Another way to go is to connect to the test port, but it's an odd size so finding an adapter is difficult (I haven't found one yet :( ). To answer the last part of of your question, yes, it's the same for a N/A or turbo. Hope this helps!

Mike

Ground Rat
07-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Just to clarify, you tee in between the AFPR and the fuel rail right?

Tony Hanna
07-29-2006, 02:31 AM
You need to splice in before the regulator, otherwise you only get what the engine doesn't want and as such, the pressure in the return line is unreliable. Another way to go is to connect to the test port, but it's an odd size so finding an adapter is difficult (I haven't found one yet :( ). To answer the last part of of your question, yes, it's the same for a N/A or turbo. Hope this helps!

Mike

That's interesting. We used the fuel side of a nitrous works kit for an extra injector setup on John's Daytona. The line that came with the kit screwed right onto the test port with no leaks. Just had to take the schrader valve out.:thumb:
I don't know if that's a specialty line or not, but surely it's available without having to buy the whole kit.

OnLooker
07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Should be able to get a -4 90 degree fitting from Nitrous Oxides Systems for tapping into the fuel rail.

WVRampage
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah its just a -4 fitting on the rail,Im not sure if is AN or SAE.

zin
07-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Just to clarify, you tee in between the AFPR and the fuel rail right?

You can go there, or in the line between the firewall and the inlet to the fuel rail. That's the way I prefer to do it, but it should be fine either way.

Mike

zin
07-31-2006, 05:58 AM
That's interesting. We used the fuel side of a nitrous works kit for an extra injector setup on John's Daytona. The line that came with the kit screwed right onto the test port with no leaks. Just had to take the schrader valve out.:thumb:
I don't know if that's a specialty line or not, but surely it's available without having to buy the whole kit.

Maybe it's different on the newer stuff, but my 86 GLHT's test port didn't cooporate with any of the stuff I tried, and I tried everything I could find. 4an, 3an, scharder adapter, all too big or too small, ended up splicing into the fuel feed line with a tee and an adapter to 4an, pretty much the same way I'd feed a nitrous kit. Still, it bugs me that I couldn't hook up to the one place the factory expected you to hook-up to. Anyone know that size that damn thing is anyway?

Mike

Tony Hanna
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Maybe it's different on the newer stuff, but my 86 GLHT's test port didn't cooporate with any of the stuff I tried, and I tried everything I could find. 4an, 3an, scharder adapter, all too big or too small, ended up splicing into the fuel feed line with a tee and an adapter to 4an, pretty much the same way I'd feed a nitrous kit. Still, it bugs me that I couldn't hook up to the one place the factory expected you to hook-up to. Anyone know that size that damn thing is anyway?

Mike

That is strange.:confused: The line we used on the Daytona was the same one that was feeding the fuel side of the nitrous system on the 95 z28 I used to have. So if nothing else, at least it should work on the later TD's.