PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone dualed off a New Yorker out the back?

87yorker
10-27-2009, 01:02 AM
So I thought I wanted to do something different with my exhaust, heres what im thinking, running 3in single all the way back into a Flowmaster 40 single in dual out and then cut the bumper out and do two 3" tips out the back. Has anyone ever done anything like this or close? how would it sound???

turbo84voyager
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I saw one at carlisle years ago. If I can remember right its very similar to a P body and I tried everything to put dull's on my shadow and we could not. What this person did was run a pipe between the spare tire well and the bumper and bend it around to come out on the pass side in the rear. There is no performance to be gained since he could only use small pipe but it looked good.

87yorker
10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah I know it wont do anything for performance, but I think it would look cool.

jory
10-27-2009, 01:20 PM
cut the spare tire well out and you will have room for anything.

blk86trbo
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I've actually seen cars that had a second tailpipe sticking out from underneath that led back up to nothing! Might look ok when it's parked, but it's definitely noticeable when it's cold out and you can see exhaust exiting from only one pipe!

Captain Chaos
10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
I've actually seen cars that had a second tailpipe sticking out from underneath that led back up to nothing! Might look ok when it's parked, but it's definitely noticeable when it's cold out and you can see exhaust exiting from only one pipe!

Or one is blackened from carbon and the other isn't. The 3" exhaust on my SRT-4 was like that.

Vigo
10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
cut the spare tire well out and you will have room for anything.

^ x2

I had thought about using a flowmaster 80 style (camaro style) muffler longitudinally mounted like stock, and making the second pipe go around the front of the tire well instead of behind it.
I never got past brainstorming but i may try it someday if i can get a free muffler to mock up.

bris09
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I've been debating doing that with the Daytona. I was thinking of coming back with a 3" pipe and then splitting it in front of the rear axle where it would drop down to 2.5" with a muffler on each side. May keep it 3" to keep it simple. Haven't crawled under the car yet to see if it is even possible. Thinking the filler tube might be in the way on the passengers side.

boostinfreak
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
I've been debating doing that with the Daytona. I was thinking of coming back with a 3" pipe and then splitting it in front of the rear axle where it would drop down to 2.5" with a muffler on each side. May keep it 3" to keep it simple. Haven't crawled under the car yet to see if it is even possible. Thinking the filler tube might be in the way on the passengers side.

my daytona had 2.5 inch to the rear axle with a y pipe put above the axle with 2 tailpipe that had small glasspacks.it really gave the car a good look and it sounded totally different than any others i ever heard.it was done like that when i bought the car from the original family.here is a pic from the back

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x284/red93gtconv/IM000759.jpg

1986GLH
10-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Boostinfreak is there anyway you could take a picture from underneath the car so we can see how the pipes are roughted? I used to have duel exhaust on my 93 Shadow V6, we cut the muffler off and ran a straight pipe that y'ed off and ran the pipe behind the spare tire well. Not the best way and the exhaust flowed through one pipe more than the other so we ended up just putting a single back on it. I did like the sound when it was duel better though.

bris09
10-29-2009, 03:25 PM
my daytona had 2.5 inch to the rear axle with a y pipe put above the axle with 2 tailpipe that had small glasspacks.it really gave the car a good look and it sounded totally different than any others i ever heard.it was done like that when i bought the car from the original family.here is a pic from the back

That's the look I'm going for. I was thinking of splitting it just before the axle and sending two pipes over the axle. Need to see if someone will sell me the downpipe and mid pipe in 3" and then I'll buy two 2.5" catbacks that way I'll just need to figure out the y-pipe and everything else should fit with minimal cutting. May even try to run 3.5" back to the y-pipe.

boostinfreak
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Boostinfreak is there anyway you could take a picture from underneath the car so we can see how the pipes are roughted? I used to have duel exhaust on my 93 Shadow V6, we cut the muffler off and ran a straight pipe that y'ed off and ran the pipe behind the spare tire well. Not the best way and the exhaust flowed through one pipe more than the other so we ended up just putting a single back on it. I did like the sound when it was duel better though.

i will have to see what i can do.i dont own the car anymore,sold it 2 weeks ago.i know the guy that has it so i will talk to him and see if i can get together with him and get a few pics

87yorker
10-29-2009, 11:58 PM
So what do you guys think will sound better? 3in? or 2.5" i wanna quiet it down some from what it is at now coming out the side stock size straight piped no cat nothing. Eather a flowmaster or dynomax race bullet. What do you all think? coming out the back dueled? I want it to be someone loud but not as much as straight piped, and I know going to 3" will make it a deeper sound right? maybe all 3in straight exhaust? I still wanna hear the turbo as much as I can

Vigo
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
you can get a ~26" 2.5" glasspack for $22 at advanced auto. Its the best 22$ muffler there is imo. fits right down the center of the car.