PDA

View Full Version : Stein goes to the track

c2xejk
05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Mike and I had a chance to take DaytonaStein to the Muncie Dragway today.

Here are the details of the car.

Body: '89 Daytona
Engine: 3.0V6 with a 52mm TB. Custom rear turbo exhaust manifold. Lower intake has the divits filled.
Turbo: Stock turbo from an '87 2.2T1 car w/a .63 A/R housing stage 1
Intercooler: From a Toyota MR2.
Transmission: A543 3.5FD Ratio.
Exhaust: 2.5" all the way back to the bumper.
Interior: All there.
Tires: 205 60 R15

All else is stock (other than a bunch of guages...) Pictures of the car and other details are available on www.kmperformance.com

The day started out at ~53F and slowly warmed up to ~70F. Traction was an issue for just about everybody. To launch I had limit the throttle or I would end up spinning or worse wheel hopping... So my 60' time were not what I wanted.

We spent the first several runs dialing the car in. Turning up the boost and adjusting the on point for the coldstart injectors. We started at 5psi. Boost comes up VERY quickly... (part of the traction issues...) We slowly turned it up till we were running about 7psi in 1st through 3rd gears. 8-10psi in 4th.

All runs were made with two people in the car. (how else are you going to drive, watch the tach, O2, Boost, cold start indicator lights?? :) ) We were tunning the car to run with the O2 sensor in the 0.96+v range.

The best run of the day
60' 2.512
1/4 14.961 @98.24 MPH

There was a run that would have been better IF I had not missed the 3-4 shift...

The issues as I see them:
-Turbo is too small. The .63 A/R housing helps, but I need to move to atleast a stage 2 or 3 exhaust wheel... The quick spool is nice on the street, but some lag would help the launches at the track.
-Stickier tires and maybe some suspension mods. A 2.2 60' would the ET down to ~14.3 sec... There were Mustangs running 14.2@99MPH...
-Maybe a bigger intercooler. The thermocouples didn't arrive in time to run with them. :(

All-in-all it was a good day. We got 16 runs in and didn't break anything!

Hopefully I will have time to get dyne numbers soon...

Wink
05-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Awesome "shakedown" runs. Lots of room for improvement. But great start, non-the-less.

c2xejk
05-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks.

Yup lots of room for improvement, especially considering the turbo that is on there now is a $20 "core" turbo I purchased from Gary Donovan! :)

Between tires and some cheap tweaking, I suspect that I may be able to get Stein into the high-13's...

GLHSKEN
05-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Great ingenuity...

93sundance
05-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Now thats what I call bang for the buck! You turned a parts car into a 13 second sleeper with a $20 turbo! Awesome! :thumb:

Thanks.

Yup lots of room for improvement, especially considering the turbo that is on there now is a $20 "core" turbo I purchased from Gary Donovan! :)

Between tires and some cheap tweaking, I suspect that I may be able to get Stein into the high-13's...

Bardo
01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
so any word on hp and tq