PDA

View Full Version : Cam cap questions...

The S is Silent
05-17-2006, 07:27 PM
I have accumulated lots of parts in the past couple of years. As I was putting my engine together yesterday, my friend Dave who works on neons asked me where my cam caps were. I just told him I was going to use one of the sets that I had lying around. I THINK I have the cam caps that came with my head...but I'm not positive. I've got 3 heads and 3 cams in my garage, and cam caps for each. What happens if I get the cam caps mixed up?

I know the cam caps have to be from the round tooth cam I have lying around. I'm just hoping I only have 1 :o

87glhs232
05-17-2006, 07:41 PM
eek :yuck: I would guess you'd need to have a shop bore it, though then you'd have clearance issues.

crazy1eye
05-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Cam caps are machined with the head, so there a match set. Be careful!

The S is Silent
05-17-2006, 07:50 PM
eek :yuck: I would guess you'd need to have a shop bore it, though then you'd have clearance issues.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah...if I need to, I'll just remove the head from the block and take it somewhere to have it line bored again...then I can install cam bearings! Free (not really) hp! Although I will have wasted a head gasket and a set of headbolts by installing the head if I'm just going to rip it off again. :mad:

BUT...if I have to, I'm going to, because I'm going to do this right.

GLHSKEN
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
ALWAYS store a head with its own cam caps still attached!!

The S is Silent
05-17-2006, 08:15 PM
ALWAYS store a head with its own cam caps still attached!!

A lesson I had to learn the hard way. Not only does it keep the cam caps with the proper head...it also protects the head. I got a 2 for 1 deal on lessons learned for this one. I also have a burr on the corner of one of the cam towers in head from something falling on it or something. :mad: I'm going to try to polish it off with a dremel and hope I don't mess anything up.

87glhs232
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I also have a burr on the corner of one of the cam towers in head from something falling on it or something. :mad: I'm going to try to polish it off with a dremel and hope I don't mess anything up.
I'd just leave that to the machine shop. No sense in risking it if your going to have it machined anyhow.

turbovanmanČ
05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Hopefully they can do something, I doubt they will be able to put bearings in, I know there floating around but they could be discontinued. Gonna be expensive, :(

The S is Silent
05-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I checked. I only have 1 round tooth cam, and the caps are in a bag with it. I lucked out bigtime on this one. Now, next question...are the cam caps uni-directional? How can I tell which way they go?

turbovanmanČ
05-17-2006, 10:00 PM
I checked. I only have 1 round tooth cam, and the caps are in a bag with it. I lucked out bigtime on this one. Now, next question...are the cam caps uni-directional? How can I tell which way they go?

They are numbered and started with one at the cam pulley and go up to the right. The arrow faces the cam pulley. I would use a little grease, install the cam with NO rockers and put the caps on finger tight. See if the cam spins freely, if yes, start tightening them down evenly and slowly and spinning the cam. If it binds up, STOP, your fubared. If you put them on finger tight and the cam won't spin, your fubared again.

turbovanmanČ
05-17-2006, 10:00 PM

They are numbered and started with #1 at the cam pulley and go up to the right. The arrow faces the cam pulley. I would use a little grease, install the cam with NO rockers and put the caps on finger tight. See if the cam spins freely, if yes, start tightening them down evenly and slowly and spinning the cam. If it binds up, STOP, your fubared. If you put them on finger tight and the cam won't spin, your fubared again.

Better yet, I will just give you a good head for yours, save you the hassle, :thumb:

The S is Silent
05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
They are numbered and started with #1 at the cam pulley and go up to the right. The arrow faces the cam pulley. I would use a little grease, install the cam with NO rockers and put the caps on finger tight. See if the cam spins freely, if yes, start tightening them down evenly and slowly and spinning the cam. If it binds up, STOP, your fubared. If you put them on finger tight and the cam won't spin, your fubared again.

Better yet, I will just give you a good head for yours, save you the hassle, :thumb:

Found all the cam caps!!!!!! AND I passed the hand tightening test!!!!! I think I dodged a bullet on this one. Lesson learned the hard way...but not the too hard way.

Sorry about that Simon. Your deal was awesome...and if I hadn't found the cam caps, I would have taken out up on it. :D Maybe next time ;)

Thanks to everybody that has replied to this thread, and thanks for understanding that n00bs make mistakes. No matter how much you learn in this hobby...there's always something else! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Found all the cam caps!!!!!! AND I passed the hand tightening test!!!!! I think I dodged a bullet on this one. Lesson learned the hard way...but not the too hard way.

Sorry about that Simon. Your deal was awesome...and if I hadn't found the cam caps, I would have taken out up on it. :D Maybe next time ;)

Thanks to everybody that has replied to this thread, and thanks for understanding that n00bs make mistakes. No matter how much you learn in this hobby...there's always something else! :thumb:

Thats awesome.

You realize I hoped this was the Steve M head? :p

The S is Silent
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Thats awesome.

You realize I hoped this was the Steve M head? :p

Yeah...I know you know what it is. And you hoped right...it was my Menegon head :o

I almost fubared one of the last Menegon heads ever made by losing the cam caps :lol: What a tard! If I ever mess it up...you can have first dibs on it :eyebrows:

Disaster averted!

cordes
05-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah...I know you know what it is. And you hoped right...it was my Menegon head :o

I almost fubared one of the last Menegon heads ever made by losing the cam caps :lol: What a tard! If I ever mess it up...you can have first dibs on it :eyebrows:

Disaster averted!

No kidding. You would have been kicking yourself for an eternity!