PDA

View Full Version : paint gun questions

rdnoel86
10-23-2009, 04:43 AM
For our paint experts here, what is a decent brand or model paint gun for basic painting?? Back in the day, I had a Binks gun and it was pretty good(25 yrs ago). A while back I was looking at getting an hvlp system to spray stains......is this an option for spraying cars too?? What gives you the most bang for your buck?? I'm not looking to get into the bodywork biz, but I could see myself spraying a car a year.....thanx.....

1966 dart wagon
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
A HVLP is what you would use to spray a car typically today. Buying the most expensive is not always the best, at the shop i work at my boss owns and Devilbss Millennium and then a cheaper line of devilibuss Finish Line(i believe) he says the fine line adimizes way better, that is how the gun lays the paint out, better adimization =less orange peal

We also spray a LVLP for primers, you run barely any pressure and it freakin poors the primer on, works awesome! But we also have another LVLP gun for painting, it gets uses I'd say about half as much, I've only sprayed paint with it a couple times, my boss does all the painting he says its 'alright'

I went though school and still didn't buy a gun, but i sprayed my daytona with a Sharpe Finex FX3000
http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Finex+FX3000
Gun here locally costs around 130-150. I though it did alright

The spell check has no way of checking some of my words, and i suck at spelling as you can see, Hpoe you can sound them out :lol:

Good luck:thumb:

turbo84voyager
10-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I love my Harbor freight HVLP gravity gun that sells for about $60. There is a cheap one $20 which is junk. I have sprayed obver a dozen overall base / clear jobs, including hot rods and restorations and a bunch of spot and pannel work with it. I found out about the gun at the body shop where I sprayed most of the cars and my own cars. I sprayed my old mazda pickup with an old Sharpe siphon and the guy there that used to paint most of the cars was telling me about it. He saw it up there and he figured he would buy it as a cheap primer gun. He tried it for some spot and pannel work and ended up spraying all his base clear jobs with it. It also didnt seem to wear out. Its not rebuildable but for the price if it starts acting up, toss it and get another. I picked one up and have used it since.

rdnoel86
10-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanx for the responses.....You won't have to worry about me being the spell check police....thats just pointless imo..

Harbor Freight......they have 3 $60.00 guns. I'm guessing its not the detail gun, so is it #90977 or #66222?? I was guessing the #66222. CP does make some decent stuff....along with some bad. I had a good grinder from them but a bad impact wrench....

1966 dart wagon
10-24-2009, 12:58 AM
if its like this:
http://www.ketone.com/proddetail.php?prod=ATD6900&PHPSESSID=17413d455de46a98930a53ee978aa010

I bought a set for a friend, also a kid in school had this set, when you go to clean it with thinner the paint comes off, no biggy seemed to spray well, and for the price you cant go wrong, note this was with primer i dunno about paint but hell the primer gun alone is worth that i spend 150 on my gun and i though this sprayed nicer

turbo84voyager
10-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanx for the responses.....You won't have to worry about me being the spell check police....thats just pointless imo..

Harbor Freight......they have 3 $60.00 guns. I'm guessing its not the detail gun, so is it #90977 or #66222?? I was guessing the #66222. CP does make some decent stuff....along with some bad. I had a good grinder from them but a bad impact wrench....

Its the 66222 (purple one)

cordes
10-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Sean had some great results with a $9 HVLP gun from harbor freight IIRC.

turbo84voyager
10-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I used the $9 gun but I personially would spend the $60. It is much much better

bfarroo
10-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I've used the $40 HVLP gun from Harbor freight and it doesn't do to bad. I'd like to have a slightly larger nozzle for spraying primer but other than that I can't complain. If your not looking to spend to much and are only going to use it once in a while I think it would do the trick. I've painted all of my cars with it.

turbo84voyager
10-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Agreed about spraying primer. It works fine with laquer but laquer is out these days and I will never use it under any base clear paint jobs. I use a 1.8 tip gun for spraying urethane primer. As for longevity of the HF gun, the body man down the body shop I used to do some side work, he used the same HF gun for 2 years + and sprayed a lot of cars. Only thing is he changed the paint container to a metal one and he cleaned it good after every use.

tmef
10-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I got this set from Northern. I have only used the 1.4 mm so far with very good results.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200310925_200310925

rdnoel86
10-26-2009, 06:12 PM
thanx guys....good info......decisions, decisions...:confused::thumb:

turbo84voyager
10-27-2009, 09:23 AM
In our area the HF gun will be on sale black friday for I believe $39.00. This is by far the cheapest I have seen it. I might pick up a spare.

89ShelbyGuy
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
There was a website somewhere that had a 400 dollar gun compared to the harbor frieght gun. They where 99% the same....kind of funny if you ask me. They said the guns parts were interchangable....i personally dont like the hvlp guns...but then again i was spraying that sh*t dupli color paint shop crap.......I like how they say 4 quarts will complete a car...YEA RIGHT!, try like 8. its a joke...anyhow, HF guns are great for first timers. If i was spraying cars everyday, i probally would get a better one.

Tom

rare_ram
10-27-2009, 04:02 PM
There was a website somewhere that had a 400 dollar gun compared to the harbor frieght gun. They where 99% the same....kind of funny if you ask me. They said the guns parts were interchangable....i personally dont like the hvlp guns...but then again i was spraying that sh*t dupli color paint shop crap.......I like how they say 4 quarts will complete a car...YEA RIGHT!, try like 8. its a joke...anyhow, HF guns are great for first timers. If i was spraying cars everyday, i probally would get a better one.

Tom

I saw that Duplicolor says 4 qts will paint a car. I remember doing one in the 70s and it was 5 qts of just the paint. Other than that how is the Duplicolor? I was thinking of using it for my Van.

89ShelbyGuy
10-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I saw that Duplicolor says 4 qts will paint a car. I remember doing one in the 70s and it was 5 qts of just the paint. Other than that how is the Duplicolor? I was thinking of using it for my Van.

Well....i will never use it again to paint a whole car. It just takes way to much. I'd rather buy the a gallon of good paint for 120 bucks and have the 4 to 1 mix.

BUT, i was using a hvlp gun, which shot the paint out like crap...i never could get the gun set up to spray like i usally do with the 2 stage. If your going to paint your van, plan on getting 8 quarts unless you put very thin coats on. On my daytona i used about 6 qts and i think i have half a qt left.

I will only use the stuff on little parts that need coat of paint...that all i like it for now.

good luck.

rdnoel86
10-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok, so you inadvertantly brought us to another good topic. What is a good value paint?? Or even what is the best paint and what are junk paints? Best paint for doing bright solid colors and best for maybe like ghost flames? Are most using enamels now?? :confused2:

Clay
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
get a Devilbiss Finishline. Best entry level gun out there from my experience.

bfarroo
10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok, so you inadvertantly brought us to another good topic. What is a good value paint?? Or even what is the best paint and what are junk paints? Best paint for doing bright solid colors and best for maybe like ghost flames? Are most using enamels now?? :confused2:

I've used the OMNI brand paint. I believe it's PPG's shop line of paint. It's always been good for a budget paint job. usually 250 - 300 or so with paint, reducer, clear and what not. If you get into the sickens, PPG, Dupont expect to spend a grand on materials easy.

4 l-bodies
10-30-2009, 07:38 PM
get a Devilbiss Finishline. Best entry level gun out there from my experience.
That's what I own too. Does a great job for the amateur or novice painter. Can't go wrong with that choice!+2:thumb:
Until you start painting for a living, I can't imagine a need for a better gun(s) than the Devilbiss Finishline. I've also used a high end Sharpe gun too with equal but no better results. That could have been the operator though;)
Todd

TurbododgePirate
10-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I have the devilbiss finishline set from Eastwood, 2 guns 3 tips, everything you need to maintain it well. I painted my first car with it and loved it, and am getting ready to paint my truck in the spring. ~~Heath