PDA

View Full Version : Plan on intercooling a T1 86 turbo Z

turbomopar87
05-17-2006, 12:16 PM
OK, i was wondering what you guys think of this, will it work? What i plan to do is keep the stock T1 intake and TB...but run my TII exhaust mani and turbo.

When i put on my TII garret, i will put a filter right off the turbo intake. Then i will run a silicone hose from the bottom of the trottle body directly to the intake manifold.(insted of to the turbo like it is now)
Then i will run intercooler piping from the turbo compressor housing to the intercooler, then from the intercooler to the side of the aribox(with no filter)
Inside the airbox there will be a custom pipe running through it, so that air doesnt have to be swirled around in there during boost.
I would love to keep that stock T1 air box and mani if possible.

so waht do you think? I know i can jsut use my TII 2pc, but i would rather not. I want everything to look as original as possible.

MiniMopar
05-17-2006, 12:56 PM
The main issue that I see is that the plastic plenum on top of the TB and the upper hose are not designed to handle boost. The plenum may crack, or more annoyingly it may not be able to maintain an air tight seal under pressure.

I think I remember someone trying this that they had trouble with the plenum piece. If you could somehow reinforce it from the inside and get it to seal to the TB solidly, it should work.

The setup won't perform as good as a stock T2 setup, since the TB is 43mm instead of 46mm and the intake manifold has serious flow issues. Definately use the T1 logic module so that #3 and #4 get the extra fuel they need. A lot of work just to be stealthy, but it is an interesting project nonetheless.

Good luck.

turbomopar87
05-17-2006, 06:01 PM
The main issue that I see is that the plastic plenum on top of the TB and the upper hose are not designed to handle boost. The plenum may crack, or more annoyingly it may not be able to maintain an air tight seal under pressure.

I think I remember someone trying this that they had trouble with the plenum piece. If you could somehow reinforce it from the inside and get it to seal to the TB solidly, it should work.

The setup won't perform as good as a stock T2 setup, since the TB is 43mm instead of 46mm and the intake manifold has serious flow issues. Definately use the T1 logic module so that #3 and #4 get the extra fuel they need. A lot of work just to be stealthy, but it is an interesting project nonetheless.

Good luck.

this is my newest project, and i really am going for more of a restoration and keeping it the most original as i can, not so much stealth b/c if someone who knows these cars see its intercolled, they now i have mods, but to someone who never sees these, they wont know the difference between intakes. However, i do want to get a bit more power out of it. I am keeping the auto in it, and not planning on getting a ton or power. I would be throughing no more than 14psi at it.

I think i could get the TB to seal, but maybe it is just easier to throw on my 2pc, or get a TII 1pc. How much wires changes is there in putting on a TII intake manifold? I would have to change TPS sensors, what about the injector harness?

thanks, keep ideas coming.

MiniMopar
05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Injector harness is the same. You'll need to swap the TPS and the AIS motor and run the extra two wires for the AIS. Then you'll need a logic module that can drive it. You can either find an '86 GLHS LM (a bit rare) or switch the LM pins around and go with an 87 T2 LM (more common). If you go with the 87, then you'll need to add the three wires for the external MAP sensor as well.

I did the latter on my '86 Turbo Z. Just switch to the 87 pin-out, ran the 5 extra wires through the firewall and mounted the MAP sensor on the strut tower. I even switched around the underhood harness a bit to drive the baro-read solenoid on the MAP sensor and put the 2 solenoid pack in place of the 4. Friction taped it all up and it looks pretty much factory.

turbomopar87
05-18-2006, 12:56 AM
well i talked to cindy at FWD. She highly siggested just going with the TII 1pc and intercooling it. Then i will get a custom cal for it.

she also said she has the conversion kits for changing TPS and AIS sensors, and a conversion kit for the O2. It will cost about $50, but should be nice and clean and i wont have to hack the harness at all.

so it looks like thats what i will do, thanks
kris

CDNTurboZ
05-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Thats probably your best bet if you want more power, I think if someone knows that intercooled isn't stock on 86's they'll notice your fabbed up piping, etc. And its not like your ruining the car by upgrading it to the newer setup, and you can always put it back to original in the future.

its nice to see another black and gold c/s being fixed:amen:

R/T
05-18-2006, 08:01 AM
All you need to know, the Doddge Garage page on T1 IC'ing.

Features my T1/T2 set up... Go to "Turbo Database" then #26 "Intercooling the log"

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

turbomopar87
05-18-2006, 04:15 PM
its nice to see another black and gold c/s being fixed:amen:

yea, i think they will be one of the cars thats gonna be wanted in a couple years. I take it your also working on one?

All you need to know, the Doddge Garage page on T1 IC'ing.

Features my T1/T2 set up... Go to "Turbo Database" then #26 "Intercooling the log"

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

Thanks!
I am gonna check that out in more detail later on tonite, looks helpful at my first glance.

Thanks everyone, and i am sure i will be posting stuff up when the project getts started. I am in the pricess of gathering parts and ideas now, should be ready soon. Looking to get started in mid-june, and haveing the interior/engine done by the end of summer. Then a sweet new paintjob while its off the road for winter.:thumb:

CDNTurboZ
05-18-2006, 10:41 PM
yea, i think they will be one of the cars thats gonna be wanted in a couple years. I take it your also working on one?

Yeah:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2157799

i have been working on it for almost 2 years lol

Jere86TZ
05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
First post!

Funny that there are so many 86 Daytonas on this thread.... kinda nice, too! I plan on a bit different set-up than yours: draw-through intake, custom piping routing to one-piece manifold (unintercooled for now... will go intercooled later), pretty much keeping everything the same for right now...

Down the road, when I get intercooled... whoo :D

GLHNSLHT2
05-27-2006, 11:02 AM
you'll make way more power and can look just as stock under the hood with a proper T2 setup. Ignore the silver upper pipe for the BOV and tell me this doesn't look stock. http://pnw-sdac.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album60&id=100_0614
hehehe :) Oh, and it eat's 4.6 GT stangs for lunch by 10-12 car lengths in the 1/4 mile.

turbomopar87
05-28-2006, 05:32 PM
yea, i have decided to go with th 1 pc TII intake mani. I traded my 2pc w/ rail for a complete 1pc(TB, injectors, rail, harness, ect.) and a couple $. Not too bad.

I will be using my front mount IC along with some black 2.5" piping i got off ebay.

And yea, i know yours looks stock still, i was originally wanting to keep everything as ORIGINAL as i could...not for a sleeper look, just for the fact that it looks factory, know what i mean?

GLHNSLHT2
05-29-2006, 12:00 PM
you traded a 2 piece for a 1 piece??!?!?!?! DOH!

turbomopar87
05-29-2006, 11:48 PM
you traded a 2 piece for a 1 piece??!?!?!?! DOH!

lol, yea. Not straight trade though, lol.

I didnt really need a 2 pc for my setup. I gave him a 2pc w/ rail. and a broken knock sensor. I got a 1pc with rail, injectors, harness, FP regulator, TB and cable, and all the fittings for vac hoses and such, and $50 cash money.

Mine was basically bare, his ready to bolt on. (i am powdercoating it though, not just bolting it on). I also may do a tiny porting, just clean it up.

Also, not that big of a deal, but it was a pain in the --- adjusting the FP with the 2pc, the 1 pc looks alot easier.

GLHNSLHT2
05-30-2006, 12:22 AM
damn would of loved to be on the recieving end of that deal. I'd take a 2 piece and rail for a 1 piece and $50 anyday.