PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 LH Platform Have A Timing Belt?

Captain Chaos
10-20-2009, 07:28 PM
And if so whats the service interval? My father in law has 89k on his LHS and asked me if it did, when it was due, and if I'd do it.

turbovanmanČ
10-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I like to follow 60,000 miles or 7 years, that way your safe.

Yes, it has one and do the waterpump too. Based on your mileage, replace it, they are actually quite easy.

Captain Chaos
10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I like to follow 60,000 miles or 7 years, that way your safe.

Yes, it has one and do the waterpump too. Based on your mileage, replace it, they are actually quite easy.

WOW! He's the original owner and knows it hasn't been done. It looks pretty simple. Our Audi's are easy as well. 3.0 takes some patience but the rest are cake. I don't know about all of their newer engines, but the 1.8, 2.7, 2.8, etc are easy.

Gaboon
10-20-2009, 10:25 PM
It's quite an easy do. I've done my Intrepid R/T twice. Hardest part was removing the balancer. A chopped 1/4" extension with a good puller made it quite easy.

Vigo
10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
id make sure and replace the tensioner pulley. Thats how i bought my old intrepid.. with a locked up pulley and burned off belt, and that was not long after i had done the belt by itself for the previous owner. : /

Good news is its super easy!

R/T
10-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I'd call it not too hard... :p

Did my 3.5 twice, replace the water pump and tensioner if it's the plastic (early) version.

You *can* put the belt on with the lower pully on the car, but it's a PITA.

First timers pull it off... ;)

The radiator/fans will need to come out too, that's the hardest part.

csxtra
10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
First Gen or 2nd gen? As stated above, the 2nd gen is pretty easy (I've never messed with a 1st gen).

RockAuto has a Gates kit with belt and tensioner (about $77), and water pump (about $48). It's about a 2 1/2 hour job. Go to Autostoned and get their loaner chrysler puller, it's specially designed to fit the pulley and it's short enough to fit without having to pull the radiator out of the way. Also, you don't need to take the pulley all the way off, just pull it out enough that you can get the belt around it without kinking the belt.

Another tip is to use sockets and long bolts to hold the cam gears in place. Then take the hydraulic tensioner out, compress it in a vice, and use a STRONG pin to hold it in place while you're putting the belt in. Although I have seen it done (by TorontoFireCaptain) without compressing the tensioner by moving the cam gears around to put all the belt slack near the tensioner, and loosening up the tensioner bolts.

Just be sure to triple-check the cam timing after you're done to be sure everything is lined up correctly.

The two best reference sites are lhforums.net and dodgeintrepid.net.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they have .pdfs of the FSM on dodgeintrepid.net (they may also on lhforums, I can't remember) so you can see what you're up against.

Captain Chaos
10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
First Gen or 2nd gen? As stated above, the 2nd gen is pretty easy (I've never messed with a 1st gen).

RockAuto has a Gates kit with belt and tensioner (about $77), and water pump (about $48). It's about a 2 1/2 hour job. Go to Autostoned and get their loaner chrysler puller, it's specially designed to fit the pulley and it's short enough to fit without having to pull the radiator out of the way. Also, you don't need to take the pulley all the way off, just pull it out enough that you can get the belt around it without kinking the belt.

Another tip is to use sockets and long bolts to hold the cam gears in place. Then take the hydraulic tensioner out, compress it in a vice, and use a STRONG pin to hold it in place while you're putting the belt in. Although I have seen it done (by TorontoFireCaptain) without compressing the tensioner by moving the cam gears around to put all the belt slack near the tensioner, and loosening up the tensioner bolts.

Just be sure to triple-check the cam timing after you're done to be sure everything is lined up correctly.

The two best reference sites are lhforums.net and dodgeintrepid.net.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they have .pdfs of the FSM on dodgeintrepid.net (they may also on lhforums, I can't remember) so you can see what you're up against.

Cool thanks for the tips, from everyone. Its an 01 or 02, the newer style.

Big_P
10-22-2009, 08:28 PM
+1 to it being easy!

Gaboon
10-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I'd call it not too hard... :p

Did my 3.5 twice, replace the water pump and tensioner if it's the plastic (early) version.

You *can* put the belt on with the lower pully on the car, but it's a PITA.

First timers pull it off... ;)

The radiator/fans will need to come out too, that's the hardest part.

On my second gen, I removed the upper rad support and simply raised the rad, set it on a block of wood to gain access to the balancer. (no need to remove the rad.

TurboII
10-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I would love to put the 3.5ho 300M motors in a lebaron/daytona 5spd they are quick cars! for what they are....sorry for thread jumping

Joey