PDA

View Full Version : Bottle heater suggestions

Pat
10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm just starting to look at bottle heaters and thought I'd ask the collective for suggestions. I see thermostatically controlled, pressure controlled, huge variations in price, etc.

Any input?

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-19-2009, 08:58 PM
from what I gathered, pressure sensored are the better for consistency to keep the bottle at the ideal and consistant pressure

but don't go by my word

Pat
10-19-2009, 09:04 PM
from what I gathered, pressure sensored are the better for consistency to keep the bottle at the ideal and consistant pressure

but don't go by my word

That's what I would think also, however, I'm new to the spray. Before this year, the only fun in a bottle I was familiar with was beer.

BadAssPerformance
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
The NOS kit is just a resistor blanket that is supposed to keep the bottle at a set temp (with a temp sensor) to make ~950psi... works well, but I used to put the bottle under the heater in the passenger footwell to cook it on the way to the track, LOL... BTW, the correct pressure makes a world of difference

raccoon
10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.torchbrazing.com/torch-brazing-images/3-bernzomatic-7-piece-propane-torch-kit.jpg

ive seen it on youtube sadly

OnLooker
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17

That is supposed to be a very nice kit. I have bought other stuff form them in the past and they have great customer service.

Clay
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Go with the pressure controlled kits. They work very well, and keep the bottle at the best pressure for system function (and go fast fun!).

contraption22
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Pat,

I had a NOS bottle warmer element sitting in my basement for a while. I am simply going to be using that coupled with a pressure guage to manually maintain pressure. I'll simply plug it into a booster pack for power, rather than running all the wiring and switches and stuff.

If I buy a new one, I think I am going to get the one from DynoTune that is both 12volt and 120 volt. That way I can plug it into the wall, the trailer, or generator to keep it warm.

From the reading I have been doing... if you plan on going racing on a cold day, it's a good idea to keep your bottle in a warm place the night before. It takes a LONG time to bring a COLD bottle up to temp.

According to a bit on Horsepower TV last week, a full 10lb bottle needs to be at about 85 degrees to reach 950psi, and of course as you use more nitrous, you need more and more temp to keep the pressure up.

It should make a significant difference, especially since the biggest race of the year for me is usually on a cold cold day in November.

Captain Chaos
10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.torchbrazing.com/torch-brazing-images/3-bernzomatic-7-piece-propane-torch-kit.jpg

I've seen it on the side of the road, truthfully.

contraption22
10-20-2009, 10:28 AM

I've seen it in the pits at the track. I've also had to reluctantly had to fill bottles with burnt paint on them.

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I've seen it in the pits at the track. I've also had to reluctantly had to fill bottles with burnt paint on them.

that's gotta be a little scary
not like they get hydrotested regularly

The day I toasted mine
I put a male gm weather pack connector on my bottle blanket
a female on connector on relay harness
and made up another short harness for my jumper pack to keep it warm in the pits/staging lanes without draining the battery down

Reeves
10-26-2009, 12:01 PM
That's what I would think also, however, I'm new to the spray. Before this year, the only fun in a bottle I was familiar with was beer.

LMAO! Good quote!

I'm very experienced in Nitrous, but just now starting using it for an automotive application.

Pat,

I had a NOS bottle warmer element sitting in my basement for a while. I am simply going to be using that coupled with a pressure guage to manually maintain pressure. I'll simply plug it into a booster pack for power, rather than running all the wiring and switches and stuff.

If I buy a new one, I think I am going to get the one from DynoTune that is both 12volt and 120 volt. That way I can plug it into the wall, the trailer, or generator to keep it warm.

From the reading I have been doing... if you plan on going racing on a cold day, it's a good idea to keep your bottle in a warm place the night before. It takes a LONG time to bring a COLD bottle up to temp.

According to a bit on Horsepower TV last week, a full 10lb bottle needs to be at about 85 degrees to reach 950psi, and of course as you use more nitrous, you need more and more temp to keep the pressure up.

It should make a significant difference, especially since the biggest race of the year for me is usually on a cold cold day in November.

It makes a huge difference! When I was racing at Norwalk, I thought the bottle had run empty, because the only thing I could feel when I hit the NAWZ was a rich condition from the fuel being added. The bottle pressure was anywhere between 600 and 750 depending on if it was cloudy or if the sun was warming the bottle in the car. At night, forget it. I got home and found I still had 3 lbs left in the bottle.

So I then scored a NX bottle heater kit that is pressure regulated. It works AWESOME. Keeps the pressure exactly between 950 and 1000psi.

What I've learned so far is that Mike is right on keeping the bottle warm overnight. When I drove the car to work the other day (about 45 to 50 degrees overnight and in the morning) I turned the bottle heater on to warm my hands. I decided to keep it on to see how long it would take to get the pressure up on the bottle. My drive to work is about 45 minutes to an hour, and just when I pulled into work, the heater kicked off (at 1000 psi). That is way too long to try that at the track!

Another thing I've learned, is that the bottle heater will kill a lawn tractor battery very fast! About 15 minutes or so.

Another thing is that with the bottle heater on, the fuel pump on, and the fan on, I need more rpm to keep the alternator charging.

I've seen it on the side of the road, truthfully.

Saw it at the track just a couple weekends ago. The car in front of me in the staging lanes.

Captain Chaos
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Saw it at the track just a couple weekends ago. The car in front of me in the staging lanes.

:confused::o

Pat
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
LMAO! Good quote!

I'm very experienced in Nitrous, but just now starting using it for an automotive application.

Ha! JJJJJEEEEEGGGGGSSSSSS!!!!!

Reeves
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Ha! JJJJJEEEEEGGGGGSSSSSS!!!!!

Damn sulfur!

contraption22
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
FYI all.

I had my bottle heater hooked up to the booster pack a few nights ago. Not sure of the exact temperature, but I will say it was roughly 60 degrees in the garage.

Bottle pressure was 600 to start with. It took about an hour and a half and killed a freshly charged booster pack to bring it to 900psi.

Pat
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
I just ordered the dynotune, pressure regulated kit. $111 shipped seemed like a good deal.

I'm guessing the key to not discharging the battery or jump pack too quickly is to keep the bottle warm from the get go. Warming up a bottle is going to eat lots of current. Keeping it warm will be easier.

Reeves
10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
FYI all.

I had my bottle heater hooked up to the booster pack a few nights ago. Not sure of the exact temperature, but I will say it was roughly 60 degrees in the garage.

Bottle pressure was 600 to start with. It took about an hour and a half and killed a freshly charged booster pack to bring it to 900psi.

What blanket is it?
My NX blanket warmed mine from 50degrees or cooler to 1000 psi in about 45 minutes.

Trying it out on the lawn tractor battery, it killed it in about 15 min or so.

I'm guessing that mine is more current than yours. It's 240 watts. That's about 17 to 21 amps depending on batt. voltage.

This is the kit I have (only I didn't pay anywhere near that):

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/images/hires_products/15937.jpg
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NEX-GEN-X/?image=large

I just ordered the dynotune, pressure regulated kit. $111 shipped seemed like a good deal.

I'm guessing the key to not discharging the battery or jump pack too quickly is to keep the bottle warm from the get go. Warming up a bottle is going to eat lots of current. Keeping it warm will be easier.

If I continue to use nitrous (this stuff is addicting) then I plan to install quick release type brackets, so I can keep the bottle in bed with me at night.....or at least in the warm house.

I've been looking at this, and then sell my blanket:
http://tinyurl.com/yht8uql

It's got even more power! I used all 10 gauge wiring for future upgrades! :)

contraption22
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I think before cecil I am going to order that 12/120v warmer from DynoTune. I have a little 2stroke generator I can use at the track.

Reeves
10-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I have a little 2stroke generator I can use at the track.

Really? Pics?

Or get a 400 watt inverter or so.

I have a 200 watt/400 watt surge. Don't know if it could handle it or not.

I may look for about a 15 amp portable battery charger. That should keep the battery from going dead.

contraption22
10-29-2009, 04:54 PM
I will send pics. Or you'll probably see it at cecil. Very handy little unit. Harbor Freight has em cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66619

They used to sell em at PepBoys. Picked one up for $15 on clearance because it was missing the handle and one of the rubber feet. Works great to power the lights in the trailer.

Shoulda brought it to SDAC instead of that big loud POS we had. lol

Reeves
10-30-2009, 09:30 AM
That thing looks badass! So how quiet is it?

I have been looking at this to mount in my non-existant covered trailer. Looks like it came way down in price....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92464

contraption22
10-30-2009, 10:50 AM
It's really very quiet actually. If we put it on the opposite side of the enclosed trailer, you can forget it's even running sometimes.