PDA

View Full Version : Caliber SRT-4 Exhaust

iTurbo
10-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Been thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust for my Caliber SRT-4. I was pretty well set on getting the MaxxFab 3" turbo back exhaust but MaxxFab is no longer in business which is unfortunate because they had really high quality. Now I'm looking at Exhaust Depot or maybe Modern Performance. I like the Mopar Performance stuff but it is REALLY expensive.

Any of you guys upgraded the exhaust on these yet? I'm hoping to get a TBE system and want to remove the stock system entirely so I can put it away and possibly revert back to stock later very easily. I live in Wyoming so I don't care about catalytic converters and could probably live with a resonator and not even a muffler.

Captain Chaos
10-17-2009, 01:57 PM
WOW! Surprised Maxxfab is out of business. They seemed to be doing well when I had my SRT4. I used the Exhaust Depot kit on it. Was an easy install, but fit wasn't perfect. This was on a Neon so results may be different on the Caliber.

glhs727
10-17-2009, 02:40 PM
You don't really need one! The caliber alreay has a 3" exhaust. Just upgrade the downpipe to a 3.5" version, and replace the rear section muffler. That's what I did. Call me and I'll get you some pricing if interested.

contraption22
10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
WOW! Surprised Maxxfab is out of business. They seemed to be doing well when I had my SRT4. I used the Exhaust Depot kit on it. Was an easy install, but fit wasn't perfect. This was on a Neon so results may be different on the Caliber.

Its not that MAXXFab had a lack of business, but the guy's day job as an aircraft tech really picked up and the overtime pay he would stand to make was alot more than he could make fabbing products part-time.

bgp
02-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Custom exhausts are available from Modern Performance,Realtune and PTP Performance.

iTurbo
01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
OK, I think I'm going to upgrade the downpipe on my CSRT this spring. I've narrowed it down to two different aftermarket 3" downpipes.

First, is the Needswings 02 housing/DP combo. Unlike the other aftermarket DPs, the NW DP is two piece just like the factory. This gives more options so you can replace just the O2 housing, or just the DP, or both. On a stock DP, there is a catalytic converter in both the O2 housing AND the DP so if you replace both you really open it up. There is also an optional E-cutout and DMH opener which I would probably get as well. One thing I really like about the NW DP is that there is no flex joint to crack or wear out.

http://www.needswings.com/productimages/csrt4o23.jpg

And here is the NW DP with the e-cutout:

http://www.needswings.com/ProductImages/csrt4dp2.jpg

Next is the RealTune Performance DP, made by Custom Performance and Engineering. It is a nice piece for sure, but there is no E-cutout option, and I've never liked the exhaust flex joints very much. I remember my brother having a bad experience with them on his 3.1L turbo Old Cutlass, although I personally haven't ever had a car that used them. The RT DP is less expensive though, and everybody on the CSRT forums seems to prefer RT as well.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/___whoosh___/cpedownpipes004.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/___whoosh___/IMG00128.jpg

rich tideswell
01-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I think I'd go with the NeedsWings dp with cat-converter (got to stay legal). It's 2 piece design is like the factory - the flex is at the spring loaded bolts just like our TD's, where as the competition makes the part all one piece and has to design in some flex with a flex joint.

I feel the e-cut out is really a waste of time and money. Over time they leak, they stick open/closed, and if you're tying to go back to stock easily, you've now added a hacked wire harness to repair as well. Not mention you have a switch to mount somewhere as well.

glhs727
01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
yea, gotta agree about the e-cutouts rattling....

I run one from Modern Performance. It has high flow cat too. Been on the car for 3 years with zero issues, and passes emmisions. I don't have any personal experience with the Realtune or Needswings, but both are very good pieces.

Needswings is nice and I like the 2 piece design but VERY pricey at $516 for the dp, cat and o2 housing
Realtune at $445 (that was their group buy price last June) is pricey as well
Modern Performance O2/DP and cat is $389 best bang for the buck.
later,
Cindy

iTurbo
01-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Hey thanks for the replys. I live in Wyoming so I would not bother getting a catted downpipe since there is no kind of emissions testing here whatsoever. On the E-cutout thing, I was hoping to add a high flowing downpipe while keeping the stock cat-back. With the E-cutout I could open it up whenever I wanted. I guess having 3" exhaust systems on all my other cars makes me appreciate driving around in the CSRT....it's so much quieter! And besides the entire stock exhaust on the CSRT is already 3" anyway. Sure would be fun to push a button and really open it up though! I only drive the car in the summer pretty much....haven't even hit 10k miles yet!

Cindy, on the Modern Performance DP, is it true that the whole DP is 3.5" all the way to where it connects to the stock cat-back? Any cutting/welding involved or is it a bolt-in/clamp down affair?

iTurbo
01-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Pic of Modern Performance DP and OEM DP.

http://www.modernperformance.com/images/calibersrt_mpxdpvsstock.jpg

rich tideswell
01-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I live in Wyoming so I would not bother getting a catted downpipe since there is no kind of emissions testing here whatsoever.

Just because there isn't any emissions testing doesn't mean there aren't mission laws. Here in MI, there isn't testing either, but if you get caught removing emission equipment (missing cat is an easy one for them to see), fines can be up to $10,000, and if the fine exceeds the value of the car, they confiscate it, and crush it.

glhs727
01-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes, from what I can remember it is 3.5 all the way to the connection to the catback which is 3" there. I know it was a PITA to install mostly getting the stock crap out, but it is a bolt-on deal, good fitment etc...
Do something about the rear muffler, the stock muffler is a giant, and routes the piping in a goofy way. The Modern muffler upgrade is noise but I do think it drones on the highway. I think I will eventually use a different muffler if I ever need to change the modern one.
I run the DP with cats, and I think it added 12 whp. I would assume the catless one will net a couple more ponies above that.
later,
Cindy

shelbydave
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Just because there isn't any emissions testing doesn't mean there aren't mission laws. Here in MI, there isn't testing either, but if you get caught removing emission equipment (missing cat is an easy one for them to see), fines can be up to $10,000, and if the fine exceeds the value of the car, they confiscate it, and crush it.

This is true... Even though there are no state emissions laws, the cat is a federal law for cars newer than like 1980 or so, and that does carry a heavy fine if someone decides to push / enforce it.
I don't care what year your car is, or how well it is tuned, you can smell the difference between a catted and uncatted vehicle while following it...

iTurbo
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I live in Wyoming and could give a rat's azz about what the federal government thinks of me or my cars.

shelbydave
01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I live in Wyoming and could give a rat's azz about what the federal government thinks of me or my cars.

...Until you get pulled over by someone who does, and you get slapped with a $10,000 fine...

iTurbo
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
:lol: Better come and get me EPA. pfft. That just isn't the reality here in Wyoming and I've lived here all my life. As long as the government and big business let things happen like the Gulf oil spill, they can bite me.

rich tideswell
01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I never said he was going to get popped with a $10k fine, I just stated that the law is written that way here in MI. He asked for an opion, so I gave mine - along with my reasoning for it. In the end it's his car, his money, he's paying the insurance, he's filling it with gas, and he will do what he wants. If it were me, and if it were my car, I wouldn't risk it. But it's not so I don't have to worry about it.

Also on the fine, it's up to $10,000 per peice of equipment missing. So if a car has 2 pieces of equipment missing - such as a cat and an O2 sensor - the fine could be up to $20,000.........

iTurbo
01-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Didn't mean to sound offensive, I just think the EPA is a joke. grrrrr lol.

rich tideswell
01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
The EPA is a total joke and there is no love for them on my end. But I know first hand they can be a total PIA to deal with.

shelbydave
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Didn't mean to sound offensive, I just think the EPA is a joke. grrrrr lol.

The EPA is a total joke and there is no love for them on my end. But I know first hand they can be a total PIA to deal with.

I agree with both of you. You do open yourself up to the possibility when pulling emissions stuff off. I agree with Rich that it is your car to do with what you want. On a personal note, maybe it's age, but I don't like the smell of the raw exhaust anymore. We no longer have emissions on vehicles which are older than OBDII (1996), but I still put the CAT on my '83 for that very reason. These days someone would have a hard time proving to me that any back pressure created by the cat is enough to justify removal from a street car.