PDA

View Full Version : How to remove 90+ Dash/Gauge cluster

shlbyz
05-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Installing a boost guage in my 90 tona, how do you remove the Gauge cluster? I took out the bottom screws under the steering wheel and I cannot see any others and i cant get it out for the life of me, any help would be great. thanks

Jarrad

Tony Fields
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
The grill on top of the dash between the speedo and the windshield has 2 screws under it. Pop off the grill and remove them and you should be good to go.

Whorse
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM
I've done it lots

Here's the quick way I do it (hopefull I don't miss anything).

Under the outer dash (turn signal/wipers) there are 3 screws on the left and 2 on the right. Both phillips. Remove, and don't forget where the shorter screw on the right goes.

Pop the top piece of the cover off.

Reach underneath near the back, and gently push up on the vent by the windshield to pop that off.

There are two screws under that vent cover (both phillips) and I'd recommend a stubby screwdriver as it's tight to get the right angle.

Pull the bottom piece of the cover off. If it's tough, you might have to remove the top piece of the cover over the steering column. It pops off, but can be a bit tricky, so be careful how you bend it, and you'll get it off (If you have a tilt column, which you should, put it all the way down).

Now you need to pull out your handy and hated torx set. I believe you need a T10 and a T15, but don't quote me as being right. Make sure you get the right size, because these guys like to be stubborn if they've never been removed.

You're looking at 6 screws into the entire gauge cluster, 2 up top, 2 on the sides, two on the bottom.

Remove them, carefully pull out the dash, and disconnect the connectors behind the dash. If you have a boost gauge be careful removing it as it can be stiff and if you wiggle it a bit, you can bend the pin that holds the needle on the gauge and it won't respond as well.

Let me know if you need pictures.