PDA

View Full Version : New Carpet coming this week!

minigts
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Yay! I got new carpet for the Charger from Stock Interiors and it should be arriving tomorrow, hopefully. :p

They are shipping out of Alabama so it was a quick order turnaround. I didn't get the floor mats because my job isn't 100% secure and I can't spend the extra $100 for the mats at the moment. But I will be getting mats to keep the carpet pristine. :D

Pics to come when it arrives.

badandy
10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Look forward to getting it dirty on the passenger side during Palooza ;) ...or maybe the drivers side when you aren't looking :p

J&H Ryan
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Sweet! (subscribing to see pixors)

JohnnyIroc
10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
awesome!
they sell stock floor mats too?

minigts
10-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Look forward to getting it dirty on the passenger side during Palooza ;) ...or maybe the drivers side when you aren't looking :p

Negative, squared. :) Just kidding. Not sure if I'm bringing it this year, but we'll see.

Sweet! (subscribing to see pixors)

I'm going to take pictures before and after and during as much as I can.

awesome!
they sell stock floor mats too?

They sell them for the car, but I don't know how close to stock they are. They supposedly are very good quality, but I can't afford the extra money. It wasn't a big deal at $65, but then they add more for the plush pyle which, is understandable but adds another ~$40 to the order along with some shipping. It was going to be upwards of $300 with and about $220 without, so that was a no. :( I'll get some in the long run, but for now Autozone/Advance Auto cheapies will do. :p The AA is just for you Drew. :thumb:

badandy
10-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Negative, squared. :) Just kidding. Not sure if I'm bringing it this year, but we'll see.

I'm going to take pictures before and after and during as much as I can.

They sell them for the car, but I don't know how close to stock they are. They supposedly are very good quality, but I can't afford the extra money. It wasn't a big deal at $65, but then they add more for the plush pyle which, is understandable but adds another ~$40 to the order along with some shipping. It was going to be upwards of $300 with and about $220 without, so that was a no. :( I'll get some in the long run, but for now Autozone/Advance Auto cheapies will do. :p The AA is just for you Drew. :thumb:

I don't know if I would bother with the custom jobs from the place you got your carpet from. When I put the carpet in Ken's Lancer (same brand as yours) he bought the floormats too. Honestly...they would be really nice to embroider and keep for show, but IMO too nice for functional floormats.

When I do carpet I MAY buy them...but my hopes are to get some done up like the factory Shelby mats just to have. I will go with "A A" cheapies myself :thumb:

tommyturbo
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I did the carpet and mats for my 89 SHO with them, turned out really nice, but I had alot of extra on both sides to trim down. I got the extra heavy carpet, it's much nicer and plusher, much like the old oem stuff. The carpet in newer cars is so cheap and light, the carpet in the pt is much thinner than anything from the 80's. I have seen some newer cars at the auto show with carpeting inside the car, that is like trunk carpet was in the 80's -90's.

minigts
10-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know if I would bother with the custom jobs from the place you got your carpet from. When I put the carpet in Ken's Lancer (same brand as yours) he bought the floormats too. Honestly...they would be really nice to embroider and keep for show, but IMO too nice for functional floormats.

When I do carpet I MAY buy them...but my hopes are to get some done up like the factory Shelby mats just to have. I will go with "A A" cheapies myself :thumb:

Well my plan was to get the floormats from them so they would match. However, they absolutely weren't going to be used except for car shows, so the cheapies were going to be purchased regardless. There is no sense in ruining $100 floor mats on a daily driver. :$ I think the carpet will be here tomorrow, so I'm very excited!

badandy
10-15-2009, 04:54 PM

What? Too scared to get pulled over again? :evil:

minigts
10-15-2009, 05:03 PM
What? Too scared to get pulled over again? :evil:

That or something breaking. :p

Aries_Turbo
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I did the carpet and mats for my 89 SHO with them, turned out really nice, but I had alot of extra on both sides to trim down. I got the extra heavy carpet, it's much nicer and plusher, much like the old oem stuff. The carpet in newer cars is so cheap and light, the carpet in the pt is much thinner than anything from the 80's. I have seen some newer cars at the auto show with carpeting inside the car, that is like trunk carpet was in the 80's -90's.

+1000000000000

my subaru carpet is crap. its exactly like my old 91 geo metro carpet and that stuff was supposed to be thin cause the car was to be super light. :)

i loved the carpet in my 91 sho that i had. so plush. so nice.

Brian

cordes
10-15-2009, 09:21 PM

At the cheese festival we discovered that my Omni key will get us into the pass side of Jon's Charger. I'll unlock it, you drive. I hope I don't puke again though. :nod:

Mopar318
10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow, I put silk (yes real silk) floor mats in my taurus for free. Had some carpet left over from work. Made a quick pattern, cut it out and surged it. I estimate them to be worth arouned $1k. The carpet was 850 per square yard.

minigts
10-15-2009, 09:33 PM
At the cheese festival we discovered that my Omni key will get us into the pass side of Jon's Charger. I'll unlock it, you drive. I hope I don't puke again though. :nod:

DOOD!!! You're not supposed to say anything, now everyone is going to try their key on my car. :& That was the shining moment for all of us as we stood in the rain trying to use a coat hanger to unlock the car, when lo and behold Brian has a key. :p

cordes
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
DOOD!!! You're not supposed to say anything, now everyone is going to try their key on my car. :& That was the shining moment for all of us as we stood in the rain trying to use a coat hanger to unlock the car, when lo and behold Brian has a key. :p

I know, and hopefully someone will have the key which fits the ignition. :eyebrows:

minigts
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I know, and hopefully someone will have the key which fits the ignition. :eyebrows:

It DOES fit the ignition. Remember, my car has ONE key. :confused:

cordes
10-15-2009, 09:45 PM
It DOES fit the ignition. Remember, my car has ONE key. :confused:

I thought we tried it and it wouldn't start the car? It will work well on the pass side, but the key isn't even close on the driver's side.

minigts
10-15-2009, 11:16 PM
I thought we tried it and it wouldn't start the car? It will work well on the pass side, but the key isn't even close on the driver's side.

I think you're right, but with a little jiggling, I'm sure it would work. :p

22shelby
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
i was just looking over there site, BA! $130 shipped! looks like all my car are getting recarpeted. dude they even have the full set for my 95 Dodge B250 van. thats like $280 shipped.

im a carpet guy by trade and ican do custom auto carpets but what a PITA! thanks for posting about ur carpet now i got a chub.

Mopar318
10-16-2009, 04:03 PM
i was just looking over there site, BA! $130 shipped! looks like all my car are getting recarpeted. dude they even have the full set for my 95 Dodge B250 van. thats like $280 shipped.

im a carpet guy by trade and ican do custom auto carpets but what a PITA! thanks for posting about ur carpet now i got a chub.

Carpet in cars is alot different than home carpet. Do you have a surging machine? Thats pretty much a must for making your own carpets, or you can sew on binding like I do because I dont have 10k for a surging machine

badandy
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Are you kidding me? I would have had a lot of fun with that :D

22shelby
10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Carpet in cars is alot different than home carpet. Do you have a surging machine? Thats pretty much a must for making your own carpets, or you can sew on binding like I do because I dont have 10k for a surging machineno surging machine but i do have a binder that worrks real well and a steamer that helps streach out the carpet. just remember a good carpet guy can split any kind of rug:eyebrows:

trucks ar a bit easier just the hump to contend w/

Mopar318
10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
no surging machine but i do have a binder that worrks real well and a steamer that helps streach out the carpet. just remember a good carpet guy can split any kind of rug:eyebrows:

trucks ar a bit easier just the hump to contend w/

I meant binder. I dont have a binder, so I just sew on binding. Wanna give me your binder?

There is a machine that has a serger, then directly behind a binder. We have one at work, but no one uses it. You basically draw out your pattern on the carpet, run it through the serger on your lind so cut the carpet, and serge it, than right after that is binds it.:D

If your doing any type of european style carpet you dont really have to do any stretching since you use multiple pieces. The molded carpets used in US and japanese cars are so chinzy!

minigts
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Well I got everything installed and it seems to fit ok. The only real issue I see is that the driver's side sewn in mat is CROOKED!!! It's not THAT bad, but man, I can see it plain as day when sitting in the car. Just kind of annoying that it's not straight. Maybe the factory one wasn't either. I thought I was going to have issues with the passenger side front, but it settled down. Bought some el cheapo NAPA special floor mats for $13. Granted they're blue but I really don't care as long as it protects the carpet. Walked into NAPA asking if they had floor mats and the guy says I think we have one set left in the back. Got them and the product label on them looked to be from the Carter era. But $13 is better than $100+! hehe

Pics to come later tonight. I did my best to take pictures as I removed and cleaned the car, but as the night came on, I got more and more ready to be finished.

minigts
10-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Ok, here are some pictures of the new carpet and the old. More pictures comparing the old will be taken later, I just haven't had time to finish.

You can see from the last few that the carpet is a pretty good quality. The backing is VERY nice and thick, almost too thick. In some of the pictures there is one of the passenger front that is somewhat of a problem, but not the problem I thought I was going to have, which is too short of carpet. The only real beef I had when I pulled the carpet out was a green stain you can see on the carpet, passenger side. Not too noticeable in the car, but I've gotta get that stain out. The OTHER beef I had once it was installed was that the foot rest on the driver's side is CROOKED!! Ugh. It's not REAL bad, but enough that I can tell when sitting in the seat. It's so annoying, but not a deal breaker or anything. Almost not worth telling them as these molds are probably already done and I doubt they would say, "Oh, we'll change it", but I'm going to write them anyways.

But the cut is excellent and fits very well for such a basic mold of the cars. There are a few places in the front that are a little shallow leaving room to push the carpet down with your feet if you try, but I doubt it will be an issue. The main places where someone would rest their feet seem to fit well.

I also took the time to rerun the wires going to the rear passenger speakers, fuel tank and the e-brake and seat belt. Not a big deal, but it keeps the middle of the car free of any wiring. Just a pet peeve I guess.

Installation was a pain because you can't just lay the carpet down and see how it fits. The carpet has to be cut where the e-brake, shifter and rear center console mounting bracket are. Granted you could use the original carpet as a template, but I made the mistake of cutting the carpet incorrectly last time and to be honest, I didn't know how close it would be anyways. So what I did was cut a slit about 3 inches in from the end of the edges of the original cuts I made and then just slid the carpet over the center area. That may have been some of my frustration with the carpet fitment at first, but once it was cut to fit, everything seemed better.

But I made sure not to cut the carpet around the edges or anything. The fitment is almost dead on for my car, so no trimming necessary. For the bolts to hold the seat belts and seat in, I had to feel underneath the carpet then use a sharp pointy object to start a hole, then got some scissors to push through using just one of the blades. I can say that installing the bolts for the seat belt catches was THE hardest part of the installation. The mass backing was fine, but the additional insulation was not that easy to push through. Regardless, I got them in. Overall it was an easy installation and I could have done just the carpet in a few hours, but I took my time, cleaned the inside and reran some wires.

But I would definitely recommend the carpet and without a doubt, get the mass backing. If you don't you will absolutely regret it.

135sohc
10-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Doesnt look too bad. I have been looking at replacement carpet for awhile now and thats just further pushed me to stop procrastinating and order it already.

1984rampage
10-21-2009, 01:54 AM
What color code did you order?

shelbydave
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
The only complaint I had about my carpet was the rubber mat on the drivers side... It was positioned too far back from the pedals. Other than that, install was a snap, and it looks so good!

minigts
10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
What color code did you order?

The color is Charcoal and it's the plush pile/pyle. It looks much better in the car and a little different than just a small sample. But it was the darkest I could get before I got black.

The only complaint I had about my carpet was the rubber mat on the drivers side... It was positioned too far back from the pedals. Other than that, install was a snap, and it looks so good!

I noticed that as well, but the crookedness overshadowed that. :p

ohlarikd
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I was just ordering samples from that place, although my carpet isn't bad really. I ordered samples in 'plush cut pile', which is the least plush. The first samples I got were too light in color, but also did not seem as plush as stock. Maybe I could try 'Ultra-Plush Cut Pile'.

I may just get the floormats - the opposite of what you did. Mine are toast, but I will keep them for future reference.

So how close was 'charcoal 897' to stock? I just ordered 4 more samples today.

Derek

minigts
11-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I was just ordering samples from that place, although my carpet isn't bad really. I ordered samples in 'plush cut pile', which is the least plush. The first samples I got were too light in color, but also did not seem as plush as stock. Maybe I could try 'Ultra-Plush Cut Pile'.

I may just get the floormats - the opposite of what you did. Mine are toast, but I will keep them for future reference.

So how close was 'charcoal 897' to stock? I just ordered 4 more samples today.

Derek

Man I have no idea how close to stock it was, but it's dark enough for me, that I know. :) That is the darkest color before you get to black, but I think it's what came from the factory or darn near close to it. And if you get anything, get the super duper plush with the backing, it's worth the extra. This stuff is very durable and I think it will last me for quite some time.

ohlarikd
11-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Man I have no idea how close to stock it was, but it's dark enough for me, that I know. :) That is the darkest color before you get to black, but I think it's what came from the factory or darn near close to it. And if you get anything, get the super duper plush with the backing, it's worth the extra. This stuff is very durable and I think it will last me for quite some time.

Ok - I have no preference for plush, ultra, mega, etc... as long as its a close match to stock. I have 8 samples coming so I should be able to get something I hope... I especially need floormats....

Derek

shelbydave
11-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Ok - I have no preference for plush, ultra, mega, etc... as long as its a close match to stock. I have 8 samples coming so I should be able to get something I hope... I especially need floormats....

Derek

You probably won't find a perfect match unless they offer to put 20 years of fade on the new carpet.

My '83 got the 8078 grey carpet, and the M1747 headliner. The carpet is so close that unless the light is hitting in the hatch just right, you can't tell the difference. I plan in the future to recarpet my wheelwell covers, but I gotta figure out how to put a flat piece of carpet on a round piece of plastic.

ohlarikd
11-10-2009, 10:42 AM
You probably won't find a perfect match unless they offer to put 20 years of fade on the new carpet.

My '83 got the 8078 grey carpet, and the M1747 headliner. The carpet is so close that unless the light is hitting in the hatch just right, you can't tell the difference. I plan in the future to recarpet my wheelwell covers, but I gotta figure out how to put a flat piece of carpet on a round piece of plastic.

I have determined that the floor carpet does not match the door carpet, and one floormat is darker than the other... tough choices here..

Derek