PDA

View Full Version : T2 compressor housing

TurboXT
05-15-2006, 09:26 PM
will it work w/ a TI turbo?

The S is Silent
05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Yes it will. It'll bolt right on. Your wastegate can might not work though.

TurboXT
05-15-2006, 09:33 PM
i am using the one thats comes on it. the reason why i ask is because i just put a T2 housing on my T1 turbo, because of the T2 conversion and now its only hitting like 8 psi even if i tighten g valve. it was at 13-14 lbs with T1 housing. so i was just wondering if thats is why its only 6 lbs...

Tony Hanna
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
That's strange. Is the compressor housing swap the only difference?
I know it's probably a stupid question, but did you use a gasket between the housing and the backing plate?

TurboXT
05-16-2006, 02:10 PM
yup only difference, theres a gasket inbetween

so swapping housing wouldnt cause this right?

Tony Hanna
05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I can't see how it could unless there was a massive air leak involved, which is why I asked about the gasket.
Just a thought, swapping wastegate cans could cause your problem.
Did you use the one for the TII housing. If so, maybe the spring in it is weaker than the one in the TI can.

TurboXT
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
ya, i had to use the T2 housing can.

Tony Hanna
05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
If it is a weak spring, shimming the can might get you back up to where you want to be.

TurboXT
05-16-2006, 03:22 PM
tell me how please.

not too hard to do w/ the turbo in the car? i hope not.....

turbovanmanČ
05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Hook the wastegate up to manifold vacuum, go for a drive. If you get 4-5 ish psi, then look elsewhere or shim the can. If no, then the can is junk. You put washers in behind the can to bracket or bracket to comp housing. You should be able to do it on the car, just remove all the intake and IC hoses, and it should be right there.

TurboXT
05-16-2006, 05:36 PM
well the can should be fine because it was at 12 lbs when it was w/ the complete T2 turbo. maybe it works different on the T1 turbo, who knows....

boost geek
05-16-2006, 11:46 PM
You should be doing around 15 psi with the vacuum hose disconnected from the wastegate cannister.

TurboXT
05-16-2006, 11:49 PM
well i was lookin at it today and i was moving the acuator in and out and its seemed a lil bit too easy. so i tried it on the T1 can and it was way harder. btw the T2 can is a small one.....

Tony Hanna
05-17-2006, 12:04 PM
That's what I figured. Softer spring...
To shim the can, first get any intake plumbing out of your way so you can get at the 2 bolts that hold the can bracket to the compressor housing.
Next loosen both bolts until there's only a couple threads left screwed in on each one. Next, remove 1 bolt and put a couple small washers between the can bracket and compressor housing so that the bolt will go through them, then reinstall that bolt but don't tighten it yet. Now do the other bolt the same way, tighten both of them, reinstall your intake plumbing, and take it for a test drive. You may have to experiment with adding/subtracting the number of washers to get the boost you want.
The only other thing I can think of is that depending on how far you have to shim it out, you may end up needing longer bolts.
The idea of shimming is to move the can away from the connection point at the w/g which preloads the spring inside the can causing it to act like a slightly heavier spring.
HTH,

TurboXT
05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
makes sense to me. the acuator rod just seem to "loose" to me. too easy to move in and out... hopefully thats works

Chris W
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Another possibility is you may not have had adequate pretension on the swingvalve puck. When you switched compressor housings you may not have rotated the TII to the proper position. This would not allow enough actuator spring tension to prevent the exhaust from lifting the swingvalve puck from it's seat. I have attached a photo which may help you with correct actuator positioning. If you decide to shim do it in small increments. An unexpected boost spike will destroy your pistons in short order if there is not enough fuel to support it.

Chris-TU