PDA

View Full Version : Car Issues

1qk4dr
05-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a 1991 Dodge Spirit Rt. It runs but it's noisy now. I have 150-152-150-150 Compression. It shoots out blue smoke. I took a DB meter to the head and one of the exhaust lifter are louder than the others. Ok this what I don't get it. There is a slapping knocking noise coming from mid of my motor. Also also if I rev the motor I start to get a ton of rattling in the timing belt area and louder slapping noise. The car will die if I give it gas and let go of the throttle. I have one code which is 12. The car drove fine and then it just stopped running. I got it running again and now it's doing this. I checked the timing. I have new plugs, and a new belt in the car.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

turbovanmanČ
05-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Pop the valve covers and see if any lifters have fallen off, the roller has seized or worn away or if the cam(s) have gone flat.

mpgmike
05-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Yank the valve covers & see if you spit out a cam follower or busted a lifter.

Mike

1qk4dr
05-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Yank the valve covers & see if you spit out a cam follower or busted a lifter.

Mike

I don't think these cars have cam followers. I took off the covers but I didn't see anything in there. Maybe I'll have to take the rockers off to look a little closer. I'm going to take the oil out and see if I see any metal shavings in it also. It maybe time for a rebuild.

turbovanmanČ
05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't think these cars have cam followers. I took off the covers but I didn't see anything in there. Maybe I'll have to take the rockers off to look a little closer. I'm going to take the oil out and see if I see any metal shavings in it also. It maybe time for a rebuild.

You have rocker arms that have rollers on one end and a little lifter on the other. The cam could be going flat or the wheel has seized and/or flat spotted.

1qk4dr
05-16-2006, 03:41 PM
How often does a Cam get Flat spots? I guess I might invest in a Micrometer or good set of calipers.

turbovanmanČ
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
How often does a Cam get Flat spots? I guess I might invest in a Micrometer or good set of calipers.

You can easily see it, the cam starts to come apart where the roller rides, looks like craters forming as the case hardening dissapears. The rollers on those lobes usually look pitted also.