PDA

View Full Version : 10-Point in a T-Top?????

STPVIPER
05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Hey, i'm looking into a roll cage for my 86 Turbo Z. Wondering if anyone with a t-top tona' has put in a 10-point cage, i'm not sure if i will be able to access my release handles.:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
05-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Good question... I'm guessing that it will be difficult if you can access them. I know a guy putting a 10 pt in an '87 hardtop Z, I'll see if I can get you pics.

STPVIPER
05-15-2006, 01:53 PM
That'd be awesome - thanks

GLHNSLHT2
05-15-2006, 08:34 PM
what are you needing a 10 pt cage for? i'd think by the time you'd get the cage in that the car would then have rigidity levels of a stock hardtop. My t-top is fun but sometimes I think about finding a good hardtop to transplant it's heart and apendages into. Start off with something stiff and make it stiffer. Trying to get a T-top to stop flexing is almost like pi$$ing into the wind.

STPVIPER
05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
what are you needing a 10 pt cage for? i'd think by the time you'd get the cage in that the car would then have rigidity levels of a stock hardtop. My t-top is fun but sometimes I think about finding a good hardtop to transplant it's heart and apendages into. Start off with something stiff and make it stiffer. Trying to get a T-top to stop flexing is almost like pi$$ing into the wind.

I have had two hardtop daytona's, and they don't have half the style that the t-top turbo Z does. None the less, I love having a t-top car, so selling the car that i've put money and time into to buy something exactly the same minus the roof style doesn't make sense.

briceturbosports
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
i would say with the way the angle of the latches are if you careful when installing the bars you could make them level's just past the bars :)

Murphy
05-16-2006, 01:25 PM
could you do something like this?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/cage.JPG

so the X's would be at the T Tops and you can still reach the handles?

BadAssPerformance
05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Only if you're 5'2" or shorter...

STPVIPER
05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Ya, i'm 6' so that wouldn't work. And i don't think that i'd be able to get it certified(not that i need the cage for fast e.t.'s) because the cage has to encompass the driver(don't quote me on that, it's just what i've heard)

I was thinkin about going around the T-roof so it's 100% accessible but then again its not encompassing the driver

BadAssPerformance
05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
The 10pt requires a 'roof hoop' with front a-pillar bars. It all depends on what you're shooting for though, a 5 point cage is good till 10.00 in the 1/4 mile. If you are looking for chassis stiffness then the extra 5 points can really be routed as you please unless you plan to go faster than 9.99 or race wheel to wheel...

STPVIPER
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
I can't see my car ever breaking into the 9's. I am putting the cage in for stiffness but i'd still like to have in properly

BadAssPerformance
05-16-2006, 05:29 PM
For stiffness, I'm not sure how much stiffer a 10 pt would be over an 8 pt. I mean, I'm sure it is stiffer, but by how much?

also, so everyone's on the same page, standard cage iterations:

5 pt - main hoop (2) rear bars (2) DS door bar (1)
6 pt - main hoop (2) rear bars (2) both door bars (2)
8 pt - same as 6 pt with main hoop bracing
10 pt - same as 8 pt with roof hoop connected to a pillar bars which are tied with a cross bar and connect to the floor where the door bars do
12 pt - same as 10 pt with 2 bars extending from the a-pillar uprights through teh firewall and connecting to the front subframe
14 pt - same as 12 pt with the addition of 2 braces to the front subframe connectors

STPVIPER
05-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Well i would think that the very middle of the t-top would be the weakest part of the car. I've been thinking about welding in an X brace under the car, whice i'm sure would pick up the slack that 8-point would miss out on. but putting something under the car would probably lead to clearance issues, hench the whole question if the 10-point would clear the latches. It'd be awesome if you were able to get the picks of your buddie's that's goin into the hardtop. That'll probably be the holy grail.
p.s. we're on the same page for the 5,6,8,10,12,14 point cages

BadAssPerformance
05-16-2006, 11:35 PM
This weekend or next I should have pics...