PDA

View Full Version : replacing heater core/draining A/C safely?

Lee'sdaytona
05-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey everyone.
This summer I have to change my heater core in my daytona:( I understand the A/C components have to be disconnected. Like most, my a/c doesn't work and I don't know if there is even freon in there still. I was thinking to just remove the system all together, but is there a way to do it without sending this crap into the environment?
thanks,
Lee

looneytuner
05-15-2006, 05:58 PM
You can check by pushing one of the valves to see if it still has freon. If you are a good person, an air conditioning shop would pump it out. For free I should think. Actually, it is still made for export to other countries so......

Lee'sdaytona
05-15-2006, 07:19 PM
What is still made for export to other countries?
-Lee

looneytuner
05-15-2006, 09:31 PM
FREON
Good smuggling possibilities back into US. I don't think border dogs are trained to sniff it.

Lee'sdaytona
05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
FREON
Good smuggling possibilities back into US. I don't think border dogs are trained to sniff it.
oh...interesting to know, but I really have no interest in spending $$ to get the A/C working since I drive with my windows down anyway. I just want to remove the heater core to replace it, and like many, the compressor and components under the hood for weight reduction....safely without polluting the air....sounds silly to some, but I know that crap isn't good to breathe anyway...
-Lee

Phreakish
05-20-2006, 12:29 AM
makes the nose tingle a bit... I think... huh, guess I dont recall that day so well anymore...

Boogieman142
05-29-2006, 10:21 PM
it ummmm, gives you that funny feeling i think, its not good for you at all, according to the state of california it may cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. get it recovered the right way and save the environment(no i'm not an environmentalist).

Lee'sdaytona
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
it ummmm, gives you that funny feeling i think, its not good for you at all, according to the state of california it may cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. get it recovered the right way and save the environment(no i'm not an environmentalist).

No need to tell me, this is exactly my reason for posting this :thumb:
-Lee

Hooty
06-07-2006, 02:58 PM

:lol: Okay, just have to say this... according to the state of california *most* things give you cancer and cause birthdefect and other reproductive harm. Sorry, I know it's off topic.

-Will

looneytuner
06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
So that's why my kid blows up engines???? Cause I used to sniff R12???

Lee'sdaytona
06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
haha you guys are gonna sh*t.....I was helping my dad's friend out in a huge garage sale, and I sold three cans of R12 for $10....i was pretty sure they were worth upwards of $50 each, but I figured he needed to get rid of it, and I didn't need it for my car, since I have no plans to fix my A/C....didn't think to grab it to sell on here...I feel bad now....but who knows, it may have all leaked out...
-Lee