PDA

View Full Version : 1990 5spd Turbo Caravan,Finally a project log

Sgt Craig
10-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Purchased this van in January of 08 after 2 months of trying to get ahold of the owner on Craigslist, it disapeared.Got back from a trip and it showed back up again on Craigslist.Finally got ahold of the owner,talked the wife into driving me 120 miles to Champaign IL to look at it.Wife was against it be she reluctantly gave in.Paid $500 for it which in hindsight was probally too much but how often do you find a no option 5spd Turbo van.Driving it home was interesting,shocks,struts,tires where all in bad shape,boost hoses kept blowing off but it made the trip back to Plano.Had to replace the ignition cyl in the parking lot of autozone.That was fun in the dark.Didnt realize until i was driving it home it had no a/c,then found the original window sticker and it had no options what so ever.Also found a factory service manual.Shortly after I replaced.

Shocks
Struts
Inner and outer Tie Rods
All fluids
Rad
Hoses
Plugs,Cap,rotor and wires.
Booger Shifter bushings(it was missing 3 and rods where held on with duct tape)
Wheels and tires(2nd gen neon SXT wheels with 215/60/15 Bridgestone potenza pole positions)
Mad Dog STS(Great shifter)
T1 Garrett($90 Ebay find)buddy at hahn added adapter to compessor side for me
Stainless line kit for Turbo
Baddass' grainger
Poly bobble strut
muffler delete?(old one was rotted)
Gutted cat(found pieces of cat in tailpipe)
Newer TBI valve cover
Drivers Fender
rust free sliding door
Fake RFL BOV

Ive owned some pretty fast neons buit this is one of the most fun vehicles Ive owned.Working on fixing the rust for inspection here in PA.I drive this thing every day and have put abour 20k on it.I recently did the timing belt and tensioner.I had never checked it.The belt was so loose it barely touched the tensioner.It has only left me stranded once when the fuel pump let go.JT got me a tow back Home.Found something else interesting when i got it home and cleaned up.It had a mopar performance headgasket on it already too.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/vanpassside.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/shifter.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/Engine.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/windowsticker.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/Standardequipment.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/Newvanwheels.jpg

600superK
10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Nice find. Keep the pics comin!

BadAssPerformance
10-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Gotta love the base model! :thumb:

Sgt Craig
10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Gotta love the base model! :thumb:

Today I installed my SWPA SDAC sticker.Easily added 50hp! I do need to take some more pics.Nothing has really changed from the pics I posted other than the sliding door and drivers side fender.I did add the two tinted windows for the middle,need to find two rear ones and hopefully a Rear defrost hatch thats tinted.

Badger
10-13-2009, 01:42 AM
great project!

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Very cool, love the wheels, :D

Now you need to clean that carpet, :yuck: ;)

Any further plans?

Vigo
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
same interior and exterior colors as my 90 turbo van! mine is factory 5 spd but turbo swapped.

My rust isnt that bad, though.. i have quarters from a donor van sitting around waiting for me to learn how the hell to put them on. lol.

SilverShelby
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Wow that is a base model
and the same color as mine
need to drop that thing:nod:

Sgt Craig
10-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Very cool, love the wheels, :D

Now you need to clean that carpet, :yuck: ;)

Any further plans?

I ripped that nasty carpet out awhile ago to find mint factory carpet.Just one worn out spot in front of the rear seat.Ill end up intercooling it someday.Want to do rear swaybar,urethane bushings on front,maybe lower it.Itll be a rough ride around Pittsburgh lowered.Right now the rust is a issue i need to start addressing.There is no way id pass it for state inspection.The drivers side rocker is the worse of the two.

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Ahhhh, :D

Lowering doesn't make the ride harsher, unless you lower it so it rides on the bump stops, :thumb:

Sgt Craig
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Ahhhh, :D

Lowering doesn't make the ride harsher, unless you lower it so it rides on the bump stops, :thumb:

If you have the time pm me on how you lowered yours.I need front struts(again) and springs anyway.Rear leafs need changed too.

1966 dart wagon
10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
sweet van craig! More pics :D

Sgt Craig
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
I installed a new Cherry airfreshner today.This weekend im going to fix the horn.

Sgt Craig
10-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Found a windshield for it.Im picking it up tomorrow $35 off of Craigslist.Check that off my list for inspection.

Sgt Craig
10-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Well the windsheild ended up being cracked right down the middle so I didnt get it. I cut up a old LF fender to make patch panels for the RR wheel lip.Its coming along nicely.Ill have to go the the yard next weekend to grab a RF fender for the LR wheel lip.

Sgt Craig
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Last weekend I added a warm air Intake I picked up for $15 at a swapmeet.The Filter sits nicely between the battery and master.Used the factory elbow at the turbo.Also relocated my fake RFL closer to the boost tube.Need to change the oil and get the snow tires on soon but with how warm its been itll probally wait.Heading to the pick and pull next weekend to grab another fender and possibly the two rear tinted windows.

turbokid
11-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow cool little project forsure!
Q

Gearhead24-7
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Good to see ya getting her back in shape Craig. Now let's get a big intercooler in there so we can get that thing out of the 16's next trip to the track...:thumb:

Sgt Craig
11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Good to see ya getting her back in shape Craig. Now let's get a big intercooler in there so we can get that thing out of the 16's next trip to the track...:thumb:

After the rust is fixed and its inspected thats my next goal.The airintake opened up alot of room for piping.I dont want to move the rad though.

Turbulence
11-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I had a dual talon core intercooler in my 90 mini. With a bit of sheetmetal trimming it fit perfectly where the a/c condenser sat, without moving the rad. Worked well.

Martin
89 Horizon

Sgt Craig
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I had a dual talon core intercooler in my 90 mini. With a bit of sheetmetal trimming it fit perfectly where the a/c condenser sat, without moving the rad. Worked well.

Martin
89 Horizon

Thats where im going to try and mount the freebie ebay special I have.I dont have a/c so i just have to remove the panel to open it up.

Sgt Craig
11-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Some pics of the new sliding door,lf fender and $15 Air Intake

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/060-1.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/062.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/063.jpg

Sgt Craig
11-22-2009, 12:45 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/061.jpg

Vigo
11-22-2009, 02:40 PM
i like the tbi valve cover :)

Sgt Craig
11-22-2009, 02:43 PM
i like the tbi valve cover :)

The Turbo valve cover had a piece missing off the rr corner.Yard only had TBI covers.Picked it up for $20.

Vigo
11-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Heh, well my turbo 90 has a tbi valve cover and im keeping it :D

turbokid
11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Very cool. Keep up the good work!

DBB mini
11-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Glad to see another turbo mini project. :thumb:

Sgt Craig
12-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I learned to weld yesterday and patched one of the holes on the passenger side rocker panel.It wasnt pretty but it stuck together.Roughed it in and primered it.Have to pick up some rocker patch panels for the drivers side next weekend.The goal is to get it past inspection and paint it in the spring.

Sgt Craig
12-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Tomorrow Im going to install my two new Recap snow tires and install two mud flaps I have lying around on the front.

Sgt Craig
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Added a straight through muffler today.A sign of getting old I was sick of hearing the crackle and pop on decel.Also added some $30 driving lights from advanced.Ill use them to supplement the stock headlights.I need new housings.The reflector material is flaking off.Also patched another hole on the passenger side.I just cut,welded,primed and sprayed flat black.

Next weekend im going to pick up the drivers side rocker patch panels from a local place and start on that side.

Friday my new windshield is going in and by the end of the month Pa tags,emmision and inspection.

BadAssPerformance
01-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Sounds like some good progress there man :thumb:

turbokid
01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Very nice work. I need to do some stuff to my car, its just too damned cold at the moment.

Sgt Craig
01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Had the new windshield installed this morning.The numbnuts didnt notice the flaw in the glass and has to come back out monday to install a new one.It was a crappy day.

Vigo
01-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear it. Yours is coming along faster than mine lately, though :)

Sgt Craig
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear it. Yours is coming along faster than mine lately, though :)

It has to.I drive it everyday.I even ran it through the car wash.

turbokid
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Hopefully it will warm up enuff here that I can run my car through the car wash
Q

Sgt Craig
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Just ordered some Daytona Sensatracs to lower it.$26 a piece!Ill be part of the lowered mini club here soon.

Sgt Craig
01-19-2010, 07:55 PM
The 2nd windshield went in without hassle and no defects.Should have my struts tomorrow,now to figure out what springs to use with them.

Sgt Craig
01-26-2010, 09:28 PM
This week its getting Pa tags, Emmisions and inspection.Not worried about the Inspection but the Emissions worries me.I really dont want to have to do a waiver if it doesnt pass.Need it to pass so it will have a exemption next year.I also going to fix the oil pan and possible front crank seal leak.Remove the balance shafts while im at it.Trying to work a friend for some 17 inch motegi wheels cheap.

Sgt Craig
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Well tried to get my tags tonight.That didnt work so well.Went to the messenger service.I didnt have a current isurance card,call agent he sends proof of insurance.They wont accept it,all the while the lady(not word i really want to use) is looking at the title and everything else.Run back home to get current card,no biggie,my stupid fault.Go back to same place.Lady then tells me they cant do it cause the title doesnt say .jr at the end of my name.Im like WTF you couldnt tell me that before I freakin left and drove 30 min home and back.I wasnt real happy or nice with them.

Vigo
01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Fugg them dude. If they cant do their jobs without being apathetic and pissing people off, they deserve to get bitched out until they quit or get fired and get a job they can actually perform WELL.

Sgt Craig
01-29-2010, 07:31 PM
It passes The sniffer emissions with flying colors.Quite amazing since there is only a hollow shell of the cat left.

Trevor404
01-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Very cool, reminds me of when I brought mine home for the first time :thumb:
It looks a lot better now

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/trevor404/100_1631.jpg

Sgt Craig
01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Finally got the tags,registration and inspection!

Sgt Craig
02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Fixed the RR tailight that wasnt working.Broken ground at connector.Soldered in a new piece to bypass the connector.Also removed the headliner so I can fix it.Took the rest of the interior panels out to ease in the rust repair.Waiting on nicer weather to start back on the rust.Picked up some Moog Daytona Springs from Rock Auto for $38.Ill use them on the sensatracs I picked up cheap a few weeks ago.Still need to find some leave springs used and a place to dearch them.Also picked up some fog lights from Advanced for 14.99 to replace the two I broke in the now.Went with rectangle ones instead of the round i currently have on there.Also need to find a new front airdam as it was also broken in the snow.

Sgt Craig
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Today Im going to clean it up and Remove my snow tires,also going to mess around with the pass side axle.Its still binding even after moving the engine to the driver's side.

Sgt Craig
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Got alot done today.First nice day we have had in a long time.Cleaned the windows inside and out.Fixed the dome light over the front.Bad connector.Installed my All Season back on it.Checked all the fluids.Installed the old pass side axle so I can return the one I got a few weeks ago from Advance.Tried to install a Grant GT wheel I picked up for $15,unfortunately it has the wrong adapter and may be a little too small.Also found my lower control arm bushings are shot.Ill order up a set from Summit.They are 18.95 for a Urethane set from them.Still need to find a Drivers door,Pass fender and the back two tinted glass.Possibly a hatch too.Mine isnt bad surprisingly but I want factory tinted glass and rear defrost would be nice.Not sure what Im going to do with what wheels Im going to use.Id like to find 2 more 15x7 AR-24's.Id think they would look good once its lowered.I might find some 16 inch PT Steelies and install moon discs once its lowered and painted.With the pothole situation right now I dont want to risk bending a exspensive wheel.Here are some pics.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/005.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/003.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/001-1.jpg

Vigo
03-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Looking good!

Sgt Craig
03-11-2010, 08:17 PM
This weekends plans are eliminate balance shafts,new oil pan gaskets,possibly front crank seal and hopefully work on some of the rust.Ordering my control arm bushings so I can lower the front and install the bushings at the same time.

Sgt Craig
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Removed the balance shafts,opened up Oil pick up,New oil pan gasket.Had a bunch of trash in the pickup.Very little metal.Most of it looked like Felpro VC gasket.Runs fine.A little vibration but nowhere near as bad as a neon with solid mounts.Pulled #4 Rod bearing,Just light dirt scratches,other wise fine.Good cross hatching on the cylinders.Still want to change out the rod bearings next OC.Painted the oil pan flat black(Paint was buy one get one free).I really need to Find some Leaf springs so I can lower it.Also picked up some tint so I can add a strip to the front windshield.Might have enough to do the rear window too.It may be put on hold for awhile as its getting nice enough out again to drive my truck and Im picking up a 360 next week for my Dart.Time to get Barney back on the road.

Sgt Craig
03-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Went Yarding today.Scored a Mint Passenger Fender for$40,same color as my van too.Its straight,so Ill remove the one currently on the van and use it for the patch panels.Also scored a hood emblem and rear sway bar off a 3rd gen.They had a 2nd gen with a rear sway bar,but it was sitting on the rear axle so it would have been a PIA to remove.Going back next weekend for the drivers door,maybe the rear hatch(with the air deflector,rear defrost,and factory tint).Thinking about the sliding door too.Mine isnt bad,its just not really straight.And the van had the overhead console.Really clean van,3.0 Grand with 70k on it.

Sgt Craig
04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Had a nice scare today.Got on it on my way to work and it starting smoking bad.First thought was turbo.Smoke went away,got back on it and smoking still.Pulled into work popped the hood and had oil everywhere.Cam seal popped out.Had to pressure wash it to remove all the oil,picked up a new seal and its good to go.Didnt get anything else done to it.

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Nice progress, at least your getting stuff done, mines still sitting, :(

Sgt Craig
04-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice progress, at least your getting stuff done, mines still sitting, :(

Yeah but Im not getting anything done rust wise!

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah but Im not getting anything done rust wise!

Me too, both my 1/4's are starting to get bad, :(

Sgt Craig
04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Installed a used cam and new rockers to get by until I get a new head on it.The cam journals where in rough shape.The lobes on the cam and rockers where missing chunks in spots.It idles and runs a whole lot better now.Miss I had at idle is gone.Hopefully the fuel milage will improve.I picked up some leaf springs a few weeks ago.Now to gather up the bushings,air shocks and strut mounts to lower the biznitch on the ground and install the rear sway bar.

Sgt Craig
05-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Finally got around to lowering the front with Daytona springs and struts.The ride is excellent.Need to do the back now.I think Im going to stick with the SXT wheels and maybe paint them black when I get some new tires.http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/Cmartjr31/014-1.jpg

Vigo
05-20-2010, 10:21 PM
the wheels seem proportionally bigger when they are up higher in the wheel arch. Definitely a looks improvement!

I finally got my light blue 90 5spd turbo caravan running too! :D

Sgt Craig
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
the wheels seem proportionally bigger when they are up higher in the wheel arch. Definitely a looks improvement!

I finally got my light blue 90 5spd turbo caravan running too! :D

Im just just going to stick with them and worry about the body and paint.Im really happy with the way it rides now.I need to get the rear done.

Sgt Craig
05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Found a 87 2 dr Aries/Reliant with 72k on it.Contemplating on picking it up and swapping drivetrain from van.The car has some rust but no where as bad as the van.I love the van but I think its just too far gone.

turbovanmanČ
05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Sgt Craig
05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

LOL. I know I should save it.Its probally the lowest option 5spd turbo van out there.

Vigo
05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Turbo aries are the shiznit.. They are light and a stock motor turned up a little bit makes them fast.

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2010, 12:02 AM
LOL. I know I should save it.Its probally the lowest option 5spd turbo van out there.

You'll miss it but if the rust is that bad, I understand, :nod:

135sohc
05-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Going by the pictures given rust has got a good hold on this van :(

Sgt Craig
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Going by the pictures given rust has got a good hold on this van :(

It can be saved its just I dont want to put anymore time into it.I mainly bought it as a beater and it grew on me.Now I have my beater neon running its time for it to go.I hate to do it.Its the most fun vehicle I have ever owned.Ill continue to drive it until I get the Neon tagged then it either gets sold whole or in pieces.

Sgt Craig
08-08-2010, 09:19 PM
RIP

Its being parted out

JohnnyIroc
08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
how much for the whole car?

Sgt Craig
08-08-2010, 10:56 PM
how much for the whole car?

Not selling it whole.Its not in any shape to be driven.

Vigo
08-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Theres a market for the 5spd van swap parts if you dont plan on swapping a different van to 5spd.

Sgt Craig
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Theres a market for the 5spd van swap parts if you dont plan on swapping a different van to 5spd.

Already listed some stuff in the forsale section.