PDA

View Full Version : Great, Another Problem

Polygon
10-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Now I noticed there was a part missing from the control arms when I picked them up from the powder coater today. They much have pressed them out with the bushing and now I don't know where or how to get another one. It's the part with the arrows pointing at it. It's the metal sleeve for the front bushing.

http://www.polybushings.com/images/a.heatshell2.JPG

Can anybody help me ASAP?!?!?

neongary
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Now I noticed there was a part missing from the control arms when I picked them up from the powder coater today. They much have pressed them out with the bushing and now I don't know where or how to get another one. It's the part with the arrows pointing at it. It's the metal sleeve for the front bushing.

http://www.polybushings.com/images/a.heatshell2.JPG

Can anybody help me ASAP?!?!?
Yeah, all of the poly bushings require you to leave the outside shell inside the control arm. Only thing I can think of is to get regular rubber bushings, press them back into the arm and then remove the guts so you can leave the shell behind. I removed the guts myself with a propane torch and then a wire brush to remove the remaining rubber bits. Of course that's not a option if you've already had them coated.

Polygon
10-10-2009, 12:59 PM
So, that sleeve comes with the rubber bushings?

135sohc
10-10-2009, 01:55 PM

stock replacment aftermarket (and mopar replacement) bushings are usually a whole new piece, yes.

But I'm not aware of anyone who makes a complete replacement for the 89-90 control arms. Cause all the poly ones are just inserts.

turbovanmanČ
10-10-2009, 03:06 PM

They might do but if memory serves, they come without. Maybe order a rubber bushing and see?

If not, you'll have to find a used arm.

EDIT, I checked Moog, they don't make a replacement for that arm. :(

neongary
10-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Checked with my cheapy Mopar parts source and they list the bushings for $73.83 ea for the fronts and $35.12 ea for the rears and I doubt they are available. I think your best bet might be to source more arms unless someone else has a better suggestion. :mad:
This sucks! Maybe the place that removed the bushings hasn't emptied the trash yet?

Polygon
10-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Dealer still has them:

4449269 |2| BUSHING, Cont. Arm Pivot Front

Only $30 each at the local dealer but he'd have to order them in. Still doesn't answer if they come with the sleeve.

neongary
10-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Interesting. I got different part numbers, but then again I'm using a rather old 1989 parts book.
It's the same number for all G,J,A,P and K bodies. 4322834 for the front bushing and 4322835 for the rear.
Right, not sure if they would come with the sleeve, but if I was a betting person I would say they do. What other options are there unless you can find some aftermarket ones?

135sohc
10-11-2009, 11:04 AM
That rubber is bonded to the steel sleeve. The new bushings should come with them.

Polygon
10-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Interesting. I got different part numbers, but then again I'm using a rather old 1989 parts book.
It's the same number for all G,J,A,P and K bodies. 4322834 for the front bushing and 4322835 for the rear.
Right, not sure if they would come with the sleeve, but if I was a betting person I would say they do. What other options are there unless you can find some aftermarket ones?

Hmm...... The funny thing is, so am I. I wonder what's different about the parts lists we're looking at. Take a look at the image I attached below. That's from the list I'm using.

That rubber is bonded to the steel sleeve. The new bushings should come with them.

In that case I'm going to order two tomorrow, thanks!

86Shelby
10-11-2009, 12:30 PM
When I ordered new bushings from the dealer about 5 years ago they did come with that sleeve. This was for an L-body FWIW.

JDAWG
10-11-2009, 12:38 PM
they do from the factory, ordered a set that is still at work lol, might be NS1 now tho

neongary
10-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Another Mopar weirdness? Check it out.
Hope that works out for ya OK. I'm following your progress, basically we are both working on the same thing. I just torqued my control arms in today...125 lbs-ft. Ugh.

Polygon
10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Very interesting.....

Well, the local dealer says they can get them. However, I didn't give him a part number. I just gave him the car's information. I'll have to ask him what the part number is.

neongary
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Very interesting.....

Well, the local dealer says they can get them. However, I didn't give him a part number. I just gave him the car's information. I'll have to ask him what the part number is.

Eh, that's the best way. Let them look it up, that way if it's the wrong part, they eat it. When I worked at a dealer I saw too many people get the wrong part because they gave the parts dept. the wrong number. Too funny!

Polygon
10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, they showed up today and they have the metal sleeve on them.

neongary
10-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Well, they showed up today and they have the metal sleeve on them.

Good deal! Now you can move along and get those arms finished up :nod:
So, what were the correct part numbers? Just curious, as we came up with different numbers from the parts book.

Polygon
10-17-2009, 12:51 PM
When we ordered them he checked and he said that the number I found (4449269) was the right one and that's what he ordered. They were about $30 each.

Nemesismachine
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
same thing happened to mine when I got them powdercoated. I ended up having to get new ones (arms) and having the shop refund the original set. I bought minivan ones for the extra bracing and they turned out fine.