PDA

View Full Version : 92 IROC sway bar

WickedShelby88
05-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I just found a 92 Iroc in the yard and Im wanting to at least take the sway bar off for my 87 Shelby Z. My question is will it work provided I use the correct bushings for my year? If not will the K member for a V6 work on a 2.5 CB with some minor modifications?

Thanks, Joseph

2.216VTurbo
05-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Bar will work-if you use the whole K frame with it:D Your 87 will be 'single pivot' style with stub struts and the 92 IROC will be double pivot. The bars for single and double have a different shape. The Later K frame is a worthwhile upgrade IMO. I have done it to three different TD cars and liked it each time. Others have said they didn't notice any difference:confused: so your MMV.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2006, 08:25 AM
That said, what do I need to make the 92 k frame work in my car?

supercrackerbox
05-15-2006, 08:43 AM
You will need the spindles as well to avoid having the front wheels rub on your airdam, but other than that it should be a bolt in.

Although now that I think of it, I'm not sure your calipers will bolt to those spindles. Also, if the 92 is an automatic car, the K-member won't have the mounting tabs for the bobble strut on the back of your 5-speed.

Murphy
05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
K frame, control arms, swaybar, knuckles

GLHNSLHT2
05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
While the dual pivot kmember is much nicer in ride and handling The cast arms and later knuckles that go with it are much heavier. Adding a lot to unsprung weight. I'd grab the kmember and the PS rack, then find a set of 89-90 stamped steel arms and some lightweight 11" front brake spindles from a minivan from 88ish to 90. Then take the hubs out of the IROC and bolt them into the mini spindles/Calipers. Then take the IROC's rear brakes, PP valve, and MC and bolt that whole setup into your 87. The swaybars are the same size on all the high-performance models but they're the same shape from 84-90. So your 87 big bar will work with the dual pivot K and the stamped arms. Granted the IROC has to be a 5spd as well for the mounting tabs. If it's not then go with any 5spd later kmember you can find.

WickedShelby88
05-18-2006, 05:31 PM
I think Im just going to put this particular kmember on my 88 lebaron and go with some of the stamped arms from a 90 ES at another yard. Ive already got the big rear brakes so it looks like I need the PP valve. As far as the steering rack goes will they interchange from 88 or 87 to the 92 kmember or will I need the rack. Im not sure if its reusuable it might be too damaged. Minivan spindles will be an easy one to come by. there are probably 8 vans with the spindles I need. Might be better off using the van hubs as well along with the brakes.

GLHNSLHT2
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
you'd have to redrill the rack for the larger mounting bolts. Also Vans use a big bolt pattern hub vs. the car's small bolt pattern so you have to swap hubs or run different wheels.