PDA

View Full Version : need K-body upgraded spring suggestions

john1320
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Was talking with another local TD'er on how to improve and level out my 87 Lebaron. The entire suspension is shot. Was wondering if i could utilize the front spring/struts from a Daytona ShelbyZ. He suggested i use aries wagon rear springs to bring her arse up a bit. Does this sound like a winner?
I'm not super-picky about ride, need her lower and stiffer. Oh, i do plan on buying new plates, perches, rubber and such, made that mistake b4. :yuck:

Let me know what you did for your k-body that worked well on a budget.

Thanks
-John

GLHNSLHT2
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a set of ShelbyZ springs I plan to use on my New Yorker at some point maybe. I kinda like the soft ride and no lean with the stock springs and big Shelby sway bars front and rear :) Anyway I don't see why it wouldn't be just fine.

Johnny
10-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Compare the two sets of springs,,,check wire diameter and how many winds. And how tall the springs are. I have a wagon, and the Shelby Z springs I saw seemed larger. But I never took the time to measure. Once you compare, you'll be able to see which ones are firmer.

Johnny

jory
10-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Shelby/HD springs stiffen the ride without making bumps too harsh. Most of the factory rear springs are weak and worn out which makes the back end sag and bounce even with new shocks but Shelby springs have never failed to satisfy me. They really help to keep the rear end where it should be when driving hard. The HD springs have less coils and are thicker diameter than the base springs.

Ondonti
10-09-2009, 06:20 AM
This thread needs Vigo. His Grassroots car is a K car.

john1320
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Shelby/HD springs stiffen the ride without making bumps too harsh. Most of the factory rear springs are weak and worn out which makes the back end sag and bounce even with new shocks but Shelby springs have never failed to satisfy me. They really help to keep the rear end where it should be when driving hard. The HD springs have less coils and are thicker diameter than the base springs.

So you're saying you are currently driving on these with your k-car?
How did the swap go- any mods needed?

john1320
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
This thread needs Vigo. His Grassroots car is a K car.

Thanks Odi. (for some reason its easier to call you Odi) Loved the video, btw!
Vigo, come hither, share thoust wisdom!

Johnny
10-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Might want to try..... Moog CC709 cargo coils.

TopDollar69
10-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I have the stock 89 GTC sagging rear coils, and 88 CSX-T front coils in my 89 GTC lebaron and it sits level now. I'd guess it sits about 1.5 to 2 inches lower than when it was new. I believe the 89 GTC uses the same or similar springs to the Shelby Daytona.

Vigo
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
FUG!! i just wrote out a whole response and then lost it!

ANYfUGGING WAY... here we go.

stock base model springs are going to be around 100 lb/in front and rear.
The rear usually sags over time while the front doesnt.

shelby springs are going to be about ~145 in the front. They are much stiffer than base model springs but not so much that they ride badly.

MP autocross or road race springs are about ~180 in the front and they definitely do ride harsh. I have some srt-4 springs in the front of my dynasty that have the same rate and they ride harshly compared to the stock springs ive had in it.

Eibachs are advertised as being somewhere over 200 lb/in in the front but they are variable rate springs and the rate is an 'average' rate. They actually ride better than the MP springs because of the softer coils at the bottom. If you cut those coils off, it gets stiffer.

I actually have some of the rear cargo-coils that i havent put on yet. I bought TRW which were slightly cheaper ~$60 for the pair. I emailed both moog and TRW and they both told me that the average spring rate was in the low 200s. These are variable rate springs too, but luckily for someone like you the variable coils are at the top of the spring so you can cut the bottom without losing that bit of cushion over big bumps. Youd probably have to cut them some to make the back sit level with the front. The eibach rears which have an avg rate of ~300 in the back IIRC have the variable rate coils at the bottom so when you cut those you lose some of the softer ride.

I think shelby springs in the front and cut cargo coils in the back is probably a very good spring setup for under $100 IF you are looking to race it at autocross or on a road course. If you just want it to 'handle better' on the street id just run the rear shelby springs too because you probably wont turn it hard enough to see the benefit of the stiffer springs and youll just have a harsher ride and less money for no reason.

I havent run the cargo coils yet but every indication is that they'll be softer than eibachs. You have to spend around or over $200 for eibachs, and while they dont ride badly, the spring rate is enough that you have to buy some semi-expensive dampers along with them..

Any newish good condition strut will handle the shelby springs in the front just fine.

For the cargo coils in the back, id buy KYB gas-a-just shocks if you can find them. They're under $40 a piece. For shelby springs in the back id buy the kybs anyway cuz their cheap, but really anything would work for those.

john1320
10-16-2009, 05:22 PM
That sounds great Vigo :) I'll have to ask around about the Aries wagon rear spring rates, or drop the Tona rears in. Seems the KYBs and new front plates& rubber is the only cheap way to go. I'm very excited and looking forward to a safe handling ride.
I love that auto-x pic!

Johnny
10-16-2009, 10:15 PM
K-cars autocrossing......http://www.polybushings.com/images/k.autocross2.jpg