PDA

View Full Version : How do i stop the COM # from Changing?

1BADVAN
10-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Every time i plug in my usb to serial converter it changes the COM # to one higher and won't let me change it back because it says it is "in use" how do i set it up so it is the same every time and change those others so they are not "in use"
I remember someone else had the same problem but i can't seem to find that thread
Thanks

csxtra
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
One way is to get a high $$ usb-to-serial adapter like the digi edgeport that allows you to set the desired com port once, and it uses that port everytime you plug it in. But I'm guessing that doesn't answer your question:D

Is this the method you are using to change the com port when you get the "in use" message?

Open the Windows Device Manager.
Right click on the COM port you want to change.
Left click on Properties.
Click on the Port Settings tab.
Click on the Advanced... button.
Use the drop down list to select the COM port number you want to use.
Click OK.
Click on OK again and close Device Manager.

This changes the port, but doesn't lock it in place between reboots/unplug-plug cycles.

Let me know if you find a way to make a USB-to-Serial adapter always take the same COM port, I want to add it to the help file for my runlogger program.

risen
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Here's my experience with the dlp devices (and likely anything based upon a FTDI chipset).

From what I can tell the dlp adapter drivers associate the com port to the serial number of the device. Unfortunately, the serial number changes each time you change the settings on the device with the mprog utility unless you take action to stop the s/n from changing. You can avoid this by setting the device to have a static serial number and setting the device to have the same static serial number each time you reconfigure it.

I have not had any of the dlp devices change serial numbers by unplugging them and plugging them back in again. I've only seen it happen when I change some settings with mprog and don't set a static serial number. I've found that if you keep a static serial number like 'smecada' it'll work just fine and you won't have to change the ports around more than 1 time.

Warren's directions on how to set the com port will work to reset the port in any case. So even if you forget, you can always go and move the device back to com3 or something. You may have to force it by overriding whatever is supposedly using that port. As long as you don't reconfigure the device after manually setting the port it should remain at com3 or whatever you manually set it to.

Your best bet is to configure a template in mprog that has a static serial number which is always set to the same thing. You can load the template, change the inversion switches then reprogram the device.

You could get really fancy and use the templates with the mprog utility to have one serial no and settings for a LM which would always associate the device (when setup for a LM) with a specific com port. You could then setup another template with a different serial number for smecs would always associate smecs with a different com port.

1BADVAN
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
alright thanks i will have to try this