PDA

View Full Version : Convertable tops, who has replaced one???

1966 dart wagon
10-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a 86 dodge 600es, needs a top...badly. I found a couple places online along with a place with an add in mopar muscle for tops.

http://www.hydroe.com/PP_Top__1984_1985__1986_Dodg_1019.html
http://www.hydroe.com/Dodge_600_Parts.html
http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=771

as for color anyone know the technical name of the white top.

On the last one they have a performance white(brightest), gm white(off white) and cream white.

If anyone has used a specific place and had good or bad results please let me know, im looking at doing one of these soon and would like reviews. So far the one from convert. top guys looks like the best deal at under 300

Also does the 600 have a headliner for the top, anyone have one? or pics

Thanks for the input,
Jack

csmrol
10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Hello Jack, I have an 85 600 ES convertible also. Sorry I can't help u much, I have the same problem as you. I need a new top. Just got a price for one installed, $950.00 ouch! I would like to try installing my own,how hard could it be? Th's what I said when I did my 88 Dodge Caravan headliner. Geez! I never want to do that again. Let me know how you make out. Good Luck.

Bob

1966 dart wagon
10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Well my dad has done one on his gtx before, he said if you have the pads and all the stuff, which i will with the kit, ALONG with a book on how to, it should be pretty easy. On that note, we both are 'do it yourselfers" and both pretty good with cars, i see it if i can do a clutch/ bs removal, rear main seal, axles motor swaps and painted my own car, how hard could it be :lol:

dam 950 bucks...we paided around 200 for the car...hell no to that

rare_ram
10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Too bad you're so far away, I'd help in exchange for helping me in the spring when I do mine. I was told by one of my contacts in the industry that $500 was the labor on a replacement, so I'm gonna make my first try at one. There is no headliner in a 600.

1966 dart wagon
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Too bad you're so far away, I'd help in exchange for helping me in the spring when I do mine. I was told by one of my contacts in the industry that $500 was the labor on a replacement, so I'm gonna make my first try at one. There is no headliner in a 600.

dam really? it has very nice interior...dig dash, power everything, ac all the fancy stuff, i wonder if i could make one

Mopar318
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I have done around 50 convertable tops. Electron makes great tops. You will pay for a good top, You will pay WAY MORE for a crappy top in the long run.

www.electrontop.com

The top is on page 29.

http://www.electrontop.com/files/American.pdf

You should get new pads, and cables as well.

Mopar318
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Hello Jack, I have an 85 600 ES convertible also. Sorry I can't help u much, I have the same problem as you. I need a new top. Just got a price for one installed, $950.00 ouch! I would like to try installing my own,how hard could it be? Th's what I said when I did my 88 Dodge Caravan headliner. Geez! I never want to do that again. Let me know how you make out. Good Luck.

Bob

Its suprisingly hard..at least to make it looks right. The trick is to always make reference marks. You have to install the top, then remove the rear numerous times and restaple to tighten the top up. When tacking strips become brittle and fall apart it can be even more tricky.

1966 dart wagon
10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Its suprisingly hard..at least to make it looks right. The trick is to always make reference marks. You have to install the top, then remove the rear numerous times and restaple to tighten the top up. When tacking strips become brittle and fall apart it can be even more tricky.

So any tips on doing a top since you've done so many? The tack strip is that the strip in the back that the top 'staples' too? So what do you do, put it on, put it up, find out its to huge, and pull the back part down to tighten the whole thing and keep doing this over and over?

Mopar318
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
So any tips on doing a top since you've done so many? The tack strip is that the strip in the back that the top 'staples' too? So what do you do, put it on, put it up, find out its to huge, and pull the back part down to tighten the whole thing and keep doing this over and over?
Pretty much sums it up. Sometimes it fits the first time. But usually not. The electron tops have marks that tell you about where to place everything. There is a front tacking strip, back bow tacking strip, and deck tacking strip. There are usually 2 middle bows. On these theres a peice of steel that goes into a pocket in the top, and you screw it in through the pocket. Not all cars are the same and I never have done a 600 so it might not be exaclty that way.

1966 dart wagon
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Pretty much sums it up. Sometimes it fits the first time. But usually not. The electron tops have marks that tell you about where to place everything. There is a front tacking strip, back bow tacking strip, and deck tacking strip. There are usually 2 middle bows. On these theres a peice of steel that goes into a pocket in the top, and you screw it in through the pocket. Not all cars are the same and I never have done a 600 so it might not be exaclty that way.

Would you like to :lol:

Thanks for the info

rare_ram
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Here's a couple links to site I found for top replacement. I have not read them yet since I'm not replacing mine for a few months so I can't say how good they are.

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/topmanual.shtml

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0712_install_convertible_top/index.html

I was going to buy from here, http://www.theautotopshop.com/auto_top_results?make=889&year=860&model=600 , complete kit. Any idea if they are a good company?

1966 dart wagon
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
My dad had ordered tops from a company called ARO convertible tops

Based in new york, price for top/window pads and cables its about 330-350 w/o shipping

seems to be a decent price, anyone else used this place?

Reviews help alot, all though I did get another guys opinion im open to more and more.

Thanks

cordes
10-07-2009, 09:08 PM
This will be some good reading, as my 600 needs a top too.

1966 dart wagon
10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm more then likely going to order a top from ARO since my dad has done business with them and had good luck, but they dont offer tack strips, are they a must or could i fab some up if needed, which is not a problem

R/T
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a Shadow AND a LeBaron to do here.... :banghead:

TonaChris
10-11-2009, 05:01 AM
I have a Shadow AND a LeBaron to do here.... :banghead:

If you ever are coming up to cleveland area pm me. my father has done alot of tops over the years. He just did a lebaron a couple of months ago. He probably wouldnt charge much.

As far as the diy'ers, one tip i would give it to make sure to take the top out of the box and lay it out somewhere flat and warm for a few days to let the top relax and make sure it is warm outside or in the building your installing it so that it stays relaxed and will be easier to install properly.