PDA

View Full Version : TBI Manifold differences?

Directconnection
10-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Are there differences between the TBI exhaust manifolds?

I am replacing one at work from a 2.2 circle track race engine and their original one is cracked. The only one I have on hand looks like the donut/downpipe is much smaller than this one which is off a G-head.

Thanks

BadAssPerformance
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Interesting.. maybe an early/late thing? Pics?

86Shelby
10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
It wouldn't suprise me if they changed over the years.

Directconnection
10-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Comparing the two side by side today at work, they appear to be the same. The OD of the donut appears to be slightly larger than my early stock unit by only .100 and the ID seems much larger, but because the original owner of the car had it hogged out at one point. They removed the divider at the collector.

Vigo
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
ive taken apart many tbis over the years and never noticed any significant differences over the years.

I have noticed that they always crack. :p

GLHX
10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
i have one on a 2.5 liter 91 spirit that is cracked....what other cars can i get one from? it has some sort of heat shield on it and i think the crack is underneath the (riveted to manifold) heat shield....can it be welded...anyone have any information on this

Vigo
10-15-2009, 04:30 PM
personally i just dont think its important unless its big enough to make a noise. Most of these manifolds have been on the cars for 20 years by now and if a crack is only so big after 20 years... well, itll twice that big after 40 years and how many of us will give a ---- by then? Its not a functional problem, and unless its making a noise you can just pretend it isnt there.