PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Stage 1 installed!

tazaroo
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I just wanted to give an update on my Csrt4. I had the ms1 installed on Wed and I have to say the CSRT4 really is a great car. Let me just say, it puts a :) on your face when you give it the gas. I think most of the td's that bash the car just haven't ever had a chance to drive the car; especially one with the stage 1. With the ms1, my car now runs around 15lbs of boost, has a very responsive throttle, very smooth power delivery while still giving you that kick in the pants. Haven't dynoed it but it should be 280-290 at the wheels with just ms1 and k&n installed. I do, of course, have traction and torque steer issues but is actually easier to handle than most of our td's.
I don't plan on doing many more mods on this car anytime soon. I save the crazy stuff for my Spirit r/t. The Csrt4s cars are capable to over 350 whp with stock turbo and intercooler. Not bad at all. It's also nice to be able to jump in it and go fast not worrying at all about reliability.
I hope I don't sound like I am bashing anyone. I love all the td's. I just think the Csrt4 has an unfair rep with many. Yeah, my rt will still whip it but I have a GT3076r on it! Although I still have my fuel, vacuum and boost issues with it. Help me with that in my other thread guys.;)

DBB mini
10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Awesome!! I bet it drives very well with the upgrade. :thumb: I will be doing an aem fic later to mine. What does the stage 1 kit run/entail?

Coy

tazaroo
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Awesome!! I bet it drives very well with the upgrade. :thumb: I will be doing an aem fic later to mine. What does the stage 1 kit run/entail?

Coy

It is a simple pcm swap. You do have to go to the dealer or someone who has a starscan tool to calibrate the throttle. It cost me about 350 for modern performance and my install was 130 from the dealer. Yeah, it adds up but the benefits are worth it. Mopar claims 25 more hp and 30 more torque. It also does make the throttle response much cleaner and more rapid as well. I also am getting a few mpg better despite the horsepower gain. The other thing is if you plan on doing some tuning later, it is much easier to do if you has the MS1 installed so go for it.

iTurbo
10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Can't wait to get MS1 for mine. I had TRIED to get the dealership I bought the car from to install it right off the bat, but at the time it was on backorder. The throttle response is rather lethargic on my car (stock). I can tell the drive-by-wire isn't exactly doing what my right foot tells it to. Just about to put mine away for the winter though...been a great car; I agree the naysayers either haven't driven one at all or read too many magazines. This car absolutely blows all my old school turbo Mopars away in every respect but I still appreciate them for what they are. I still drive my other cars about as much as I drive the CSRT. I've only managed to rack up just over 3k miles on her since I bought it in May.

DBB mini
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM
It is a simple pcm swap. You do have to go to the dealer or someone who has a starscan tool to calibrate the throttle. It cost me about 350 for modern performance and my install was 130 from the dealer. Yeah, it adds up but the benefits are worth it. Mopar claims 25 more hp and 30 more torque. It also does make the throttle response much cleaner and more rapid as well. I also am getting a few mpg better despite the horsepower gain. The other thing is if you plan on doing some tuning later, it is much easier to do if you has the MS1 installed so go for it.

Cool well keep us posted on your progress. No matter your route, you're making more power, and that's a good thing. :thumb:

Coy

iTurbo
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I finally got MS1 on the way for my Caliber! Should be hear in a couple weeks. I'm still a little skepical about it, but all the customer reviews rave about it.

Juggy
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
337whp and 535tq was what my friend dyno'd in his CSRT with only mods being a modified computer, and 3" exhaust. it was pushing approx 20psi

it ran 110-111mph in the quarter with a best of 13.0 w/2.1? 60 footers

GLHNSLHT2
01-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I agree it's quick, and probably drives nice being new and all with better suspension tech and tires. I do like the look of the SRT edition for the most part. But I don't think I could ever drive a lowered and shrunk SUV.

iTurbo
01-05-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm already wondering if my Omni is even going to keep up my Caliber when it runs again. Sure seems like big gains are being had with a few bolt-on mods like MS1, 3" downpipe, and the MAP/TIP clamp. I'm too wary of the MAP/TIP clamp to have it on my car though, I'll just wait for something better. Seems doubtful Mopar Performance will ever do a stage II though.

DBB mini
01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Awesome. I'm jealous.:nod:

iTurbo
01-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Got it today! Unfortunately I have to wait to make the appointment at the dealership because the weather sucks right now.

http://www.turbosedan.com/Caliber/DSC04356.JPG

iTurbo
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I bring the car in tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM. Can't wait!

iTurbo
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I picked up the car this morning. Was only about $110 to have the dealership install the ECU and do the throttle recal. Big BIG difference in power! The car now feels faster from anywhere; from a dig, cruising, highway, low rpm, high rpm...the difference in throttle response is amazing.

With the stock computer I could feel that the drive-by-wire wasn't opening the throttle as much as my foot told it to. The car was very quick but you had to be aggressive with the throttle to get it to really go. Anything up to 1/2 throttle and I would only see about 4-5 psi on the boost gauge but it would go up to 10-12 at WOT. It would also do other wierd things like when I took my foot off the gas to decelerate, it would seem to decel in two stages which was sort of annoying.

With the S1 the car doesn't do any of that and it feels so much easier to drive. The boost goes higher too. I was seeing ~15 psi at WOT in the little bit that I drove it. Spins the tires in 2nd gear at will and pulls relentlessly past 100 MPH with ease. This car absolutely will blow away any of my older turbo mopars. At this point I'm not even sure the TIII Omni GLH I'm building will keep up with it and all I've done to the CSRT so far is Mopar S1!

Big thanks to FWD Peformance for the quick MS1 hookup! They even programmed my mileage and VIN into it beforehand which made it even easier.

jason.weissinger
02-14-2010, 11:21 PM
My brother has a CSRT with the stage 1, adj wastegate actuator and 3.5 downpipe and its insanely quick for the amount of money spent. Hes only running at 16 lbs but it feels like thirty when she spools. I think I may have to get one for myself:D

bgp
02-17-2010, 01:27 AM
See my post under "no CSRT-4s for 2010" for adding more power.

There are vendors with solutions for handling/torque steer and tuners for high hp/high boost answers.

iTurbo
02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Bad news. I have had MS1 installed for a couple weeks and it seems rare that I don't here the engine pinging at WOT, even part throttle boost sometimes. I always fill up with 91 octane gas which is the highest I can get around here. I changed out the original plugs (NGK ZFR5AP) and installed NGK BKR6EIX, which is an iridium plug one heat range colder. Didn't seem to help. The plugs came gapped at about .028" so I left them that way. The original plugs had carbon speckling all over the white porcelain with #4 being a little worse than the others.

I have been hearing the detonation ever since flooring it for the first time after the MS1 install. Sometimes I don't hear it and the car is MUCH faster since it's not pulling timing. Car seems to fall on it's face when it's pinging unsurprisingly. I don't know if it's the air around here or what but I have the same problem in my '91 Spirit R/T. I swear I can't raise the boost on that thing past 10 psi without it pinging. I live at about 5000 ft, maybe that has something to do with it.

tazaroo
03-04-2010, 11:38 PM
My stage 1 csrt4 will do a little pinging if I floor it during low rpm less than 2500. Otherwise its fine and I don't notice at all.

bgp
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Bad news. I have had MS1 installed for a couple weeks and it seems rare that I don't here the engine pinging at WOT, even part throttle boost sometimes. I always fill up with 91 octane gas which is the highest I can get around here. I changed out the original plugs (NGK ZFR5AP) and installed NGK BKR6EIX, which is an iridium plug one heat range colder. Didn't seem to help. The plugs came gapped at about .028" so I left them that way. The original plugs had carbon speckling all over the white porcelain with #4 being a little worse than the others.

I have been hearing the detonation ever since flooring it for the first time after the MS1 install. Sometimes I don't hear it and the car is MUCH faster since it's not pulling timing. Car seems to fall on it's face when it's pinging unsurprisingly. I don't know if it's the air around here or what but I have the same problem in my '91 Spirit R/T. I swear I can't raise the boost on that thing past 10 psi without it pinging. I live at about 5000 ft, maybe that has something to do with it.

Probably a combination of both the altitude and the 91oct. CSRTS are barely doable with 91oct as a minimum plus with the Stage1 you have a more aggressive factory tune as well.

Spraynlog
03-24-2010, 02:03 PM

I have been hearing the detonation ever since flooring it for the first time after the MS1 install. Sometimes I don't hear it and the car is MUCH faster since it's not pulling timing. Car seems to fall on it's face when it's pinging unsurprisingly. I don't know if it's the air around here or what but I have the same problem in my '91 Spirit R/T. I swear I can't raise the boost on that thing past 10 psi without it pinging. I live at about 5000 ft, maybe that has something to do with it.If it were mine, I'd go to a cooler thermostat, and add in some Red Line water wetter, and maybe try a cold air intake setup of some kind. Did it come with synthetic oil in it? If not, I'd switch to synthetic also. Maybe set up a water spray nozzle for the intercooler too. Just my .2 cents worth. :nod:

iTurbo
03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
If it were mine, I'd go to a cooler thermostat, and add in some Red Line water wetter, and maybe try a cold air intake setup of some kind. Did it come with synthetic oil in it? If not, I'd switch to synthetic also. Maybe set up a water spray nozzle for the intercooler too. Just my .2 cents worth. :nod:

I'll probably be doing some of those things soon. I did the first oil change about 1500 miles ago and used Mobil 1 0w-40 (factory fill). Going to get the Mopar intake kit too but can't afford that yet.

I haven't been driving the car much lately but it does seem like the pinging is not as bad as it first was. I'm not sure if the ECU had to adjust or maybe I just had some crappy gas. I first noticed the pinging right after installing MS1, and the car had a full tank of 91 octane from a Maverick convenience store. Since then I've been filling up with 91 at Exxon. Haven't rechecked plugs yet but will report back.

JMotorsprt
01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I am browsing looking for a newer performance car to talk the wife into. this question came to mind as I might be moving to a 91 octane state in the future:

I remember one of my GLH's having a problem with gas, even with the 92 octane. Finally realized which Gas stations I could and could not use to eliminate the pinging.

Within the 91 octane States, could a different gas company help the situation? Yes I know a bunch of different companies get their gas from the same plant, but every company tweeks the additives.

iTurbo
01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I barely drive the car since it's always cold out, but it seems the pinging with MS1 happening at WOT (w/ 91 octane) has went away. Seems the computer adapted and probably toned down the advance by itself. Everything has been OK for a while now. I am soon getting the new "MS1K" flash sold by RealTune performance. They have beta testers using 91 but the results are not in yet.

glhs0426
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
If it were mine, I'd go to a cooler thermostat, and add in some Red Line water wetter, and maybe try a cold air intake setup of some kind. Did it come with synthetic oil in it? If not, I'd switch to synthetic also. Maybe set up a water spray nozzle for the intercooler too. Just my .2 cents worth. :nod:

Which thermostat would you change? These cars have two.