PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems

Polygon
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to replace the hard lines all the way to the back of the car. I don't think I can get the ends off to replace the flex lines without destroying them. What are my options? The only thing I can think of is buy some pipe, ends, bender, and flare tool and make my own. Any other ideas?

Also, does anyone know that lengths I would need for both sides going to the rear on a J-body?

Turbozcs2003
10-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I think you can buy all new lines here, they used to have a catalog but you have to call

http://www.classictube.com/products_clubflyer.asp

Turbozcs2003
10-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Also Inline tube, go to catalog, Dodge B body look at bottom, brake line sets for Omnis and daytonas in SS or oem

http://www.inlinetube.com/

Polygon
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know if the Daytona lines are EXACTLY the same as the LeBaron. I know they're sister cars but I also know there could be slight differences.

135sohc
10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Send them your old ones (they have very detailed instructions on how to ship them) and let them do the rest.

I was a bit hesistant to ship the old ones off but 1 week later and I had new lines in hand. You cant hand form brakelines and flare the ends and have everything come out so nicely.

Vigo
10-01-2009, 01:15 PM
if you just want to patch it up id cut right behind the seized nut and put another nut on and reflare it.

But you may not want to patch rusty lines...

Turbozcs2003
10-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Send them your old ones (they have very detailed instructions on how to ship them) and let them do the rest.

I was a bit hesistant to ship the old ones off but 1 week later and I had new lines in hand. You cant hand form brakelines and flare the ends and have everything come out so nicely.

So what did you send them, ie what body and year and type of brakes?

I assume once they have it to pattern it after they retain the design for future use.

135sohc
10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
So what did you send them, ie what body and year and type of brakes?

I assume once they have it to pattern it after they retain the design for future use.

It wasnt for any of these cars. Was for my project van

The guy on the phone is nice and if you can give him a general description of what your looking for, size of the line, overall length, number of fittings and type of tubing you want he can give you an estimate. Once they have the design they put it in their database.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
You can cut the flared end off, say a few inches back, then put a new flare on, get a flare type connector and make up another piece, we do that all the time. DO NOT use compression fittings for patching, illegal.

PBODY
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Easiest and cheapest way:

-Cut your steel lines at the fittings and remove from the car.
-Measure total length of lines with a tape measure.
-Go to your favorite auto parts store and buy 3/16" brake line. It only comes in straight sections of different lengths with fittings already on them. Buy lengths closest too or slightly longer than what you measured. If it is not long enough, you will have to joint multiple pieces with a union.
-Bring the lines home and remove your old fittings from the car. Proceed to bend the new lines as needed. You don't have to follow the exact routing from the factory. If it is a little too long, put some extra bends in the line. You do not need a tubing bender. 3/16" is so small you can bend it by hand and not kink it. You can buy a cheap tubing bender if you want to make it a little easier.
-Install new lines and bleed the system.

Note: If you want to cut and flare your lines to length, you will need a special double flaring tool. It is not a standard flare on brake lines.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2009, 05:34 PM
^^^^^^^ Most bulk pipe has a spring on it for bending so a tubing bender isn't needed.

Polygon
10-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Found a local place called Evco that will do it for me. Might have them do the fuel lines as well.

PBODY
10-01-2009, 08:28 PM
^^^^^^^ Most bulk pipe has a spring on it for bending so a tubing bender isn't needed.

I work at a Bumper to Bumper auto parts store. The brake line we sell doesn't have the spring on it. I don't think I've ever seen it sold that way around here. Interesting.

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 03:17 AM
I work at a Bumper to Bumper auto parts store. The brake line we sell doesn't have the spring on it. I don't think I've ever seen it sold that way around here. Interesting.

Weird, all we can get is the stuff with the spring around it, PAPCO makes it. :o

supercrackerbox
10-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Must be a Canadian thing. I've never seen it for sale around here, and I've worked at a few parts stores. ;)

Oh some people can. Just takes a lot of patience and experience.

I cannot. But I'm getting better.

Nemesismachine
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
By a "spring around it" do you mean the rock guard?

Also Inline tube, go to catalog, Dodge B body look at bottom, brake line sets for Omnis and daytonas in SS or oem

http://www.inlinetube.com/

Where do you see this? I scoured that site and saw no Omni anything anywhere. :confused2:

turbovanmanČ
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Its not a rock guard, its so you can bend and form the line without a tubing bender, :thumb:

Turbozcs2003
10-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Where do you see this? I scoured that site and saw no Omni anything anywhere. :confused2:

open production vehichle catalog, toward top in middle catalog icon
on first page

hit mopar Dodge ABE bodies 162-169, scroll to bottom of page 168 for the listing for Daytona/Omins

If you hit Plymouth 170-179 they have horizon/turismo listed pg 178