PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Muffler for 2.2 Turbo?

87yorker
09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
im running just straight exhaust on my 2.2 and it side exit. its to loud tho, what do you guys think would sound good on it

bakes
09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
oh you are going to open a can of worms with this post.

i like 3"in and out raptors

BadAssPerformance
09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
They make some decent sounding low restriction straight thru mufflers. I've used the Dynomax Race Magnum Oval and like it... Magnaflow makes them too. I have a Dynomax Race "Bullet" on the Z and its a bit louder.

87yorker
09-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I was thinking about the same thing on them lines. or a Glass pack. any one have any sound clips?

shelbyplaya
09-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Any glass pack from dynomax or magnaflow. they both sound kinda the same but one may be a bit louder then the other... I kinda preferthe magnaflow.

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Dynomax race magnum bullet FTW!

87yorker
09-30-2009, 01:13 AM
What kind of sound do the Dynomax race magnums put out?

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2009, 02:31 AM
The question you should be asking is, HOW loud do you want it?

Badger
09-30-2009, 03:28 AM
dynomax ultraflow or magnaflow

mopar-tech
09-30-2009, 06:08 AM
The Hooker MAX FLOW muffler works very well- ran them on my van, Daytona and Reliant for years. It can be a ----- to install as it is larger than some. The Edelbrock "dual path" muffler is smaller and worked very well on my Spirit R/T

contraption22
09-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm a huge fan of Magnaflow mufflers. I've recieved compliments on how the round Magnaflow sounds on my Horizon.

87yorker
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I want it pretty loud, but no straight pipe loud like it is. at Idle I would like it to have a good sound, and when you get on it be alittle louder.

contraption22
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Here is the link to a vid of my car on the dyno.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471393&postcount=144

blk86trbo
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I've ran a side exhaust without a muffler but it did have a hollowed out Cat and it wasn't too bad...could hear the turbo spool nicely:thumb:

WickedShelby88
09-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Dang Marra your car sounds like its tuned perfectly on that pull. Extremely smooth and pulls nicely.
So what is a good price on a magnaflow? I know the muffler is shot on that car of my mom's and the VNT likes the lack of restriction a little too much. What would be a good cheap muffler if the magnaflow is out of range that will fit a stock exhaust on a shadow? Also would like to keep the stock dual tips out the back.

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I want it pretty loud, but no straight pipe loud like it is. at Idle I would like it to have a good sound, and when you get on it be alittle louder.

Where are you gonna exit with it? Still out the side? You'll want a more restrictive (quieter) muffler if so since it's an Automatic car. My Yorker has 3" straight pipe out the back. Not loud in the car at all and can barely hear it. Out the back it's loud when I'm on it so I've been told. Also pipe diameter comes into play. 2.5" is a sharper gun shot type sound (especially popping on Decel) Where 3" is a deep rumble. Anyway I'd go with a Race magnum if it's going out the back and 3". It'll give you a nice deep throaty sound. If it's 2.5" I'd go for a more restrictive conventional muffler like a dynomax super turbo in a 6" round and just put it in where the stock one was behind the rear axle.

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2009, 01:22 PM
The Hooker MAX FLOW muffler works very well- ran them on my van, Daytona and Reliant for years. It can be a ----- to install as it is larger than some. The Edelbrock "dual path" muffler is smaller and worked very well on my Spirit R/T

I had one on the van, LOUD and at around a year, the internals came loose, :confused2:

Any straight thru muffler will be loud, just get the one that fits the easiest. The smaller the case, the less packing and louder it will be.

contraption22
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Where are you gonna exit with it? Still out the side? You'll want a more restrictive (quieter) muffler if so since it's an Automatic car. My Yorker has 3" straight pipe out the back. Not loud in the car at all and can barely hear it. Out the back it's loud when I'm on it so I've been told. Also pipe diameter comes into play. 2.5" is a sharper gun shot type sound (especially popping on Decel) Where 3" is a deep rumble. Anyway I'd go with a Race magnum if it's going out the back and 3". It'll give you a nice deep throaty sound. If it's 2.5" I'd go for a more restrictive conventional muffler like a dynomax super turbo in a 6" round and just put it in where the stock one was behind the rear axle.

TU has the muffler I used. I also used their 3" bolt-on exhuast kit.

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=274

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I'll have to listen to the sound clip when I get home Mike. The TU piece from what I can see on the web also looks to be a nice piece. I haven't seen or heard one on a turbo mopar yet though. Way back when I dyno'ed my Tona the dyno guys also said they loved the way it sounded. It was just 3" straight pipe side exit reverbing off the dyno room wall :)

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Here is the link to a vid of my car on the dyno.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471393&postcount=144

That sounds like my van, awesome, :thumb:

Dyno guys get a kick out of it, lol.

contraption22
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Dang Marra your car sounds like its tuned perfectly on that pull. Extremely smooth and pulls nicely.
So what is a good price on a magnaflow? I know the muffler is shot on that car of my mom's and the VNT likes the lack of restriction a little too much. What would be a good cheap muffler if the magnaflow is out of range that will fit a stock exhaust on a shadow? Also would like to keep the stock dual tips out the back.

Thanks!!!!

87yorker
09-30-2009, 10:15 PM
That dose sound pretty good. Im still going to go out the side. Im really thinking the Dynomax bullet one.

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I think a race magnum bullet is gonna be a bit loud for what you're wanting to do.

That sounds pretty good Mike, I assume it's straight through. Is the inside smooth or is it bumpy in the tube like some cheap glasspacks I've seen?

BadAssPerformance
09-30-2009, 11:03 PM

I'll have to upload a file of the Shadow with the oval, but...

Here is the 3" shorty bullet.... Well, its got a 2.4L with unequal tube header in front of it... 3" MB SS pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFf5B0bhwtM

Polygon
09-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Dynomax race magnum bullet FTW!

Add another for the Dynomax Race Bullet. I have a 3" in and out and it sounds great. Plus no drone at any speed.

Here's how mine sounds. (http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/CarDomain/GTC/Images/Page%204/exhaust.mp3)

BadAssPerformance
09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
....So what is a good price on a magnaflow? I know the muffler is shot on that car of my mom's and the VNT likes the lack of restriction a little too much.

Any straight thru muffler may give issue then?

My Shadow went the same mph with open 2.25" downpipe vs. downpipe back 3" with Dynomax Race Magnum Oval

87yorker
09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
That sounds good bad ---!!! So what do you have on yours again? the other sound clip was alittle to raspy loud for me. I want more of a tone. Mine is the stock size pipe and side exit. If I go 3" will it change alot?

GLHNSLHT2
09-30-2009, 11:38 PM
3" is a deeper tone.

contraption22
09-30-2009, 11:52 PM
The Magnaflow mufflers are straight through and very smooth inside. I am suprised it knocks down the sound as much ad it does. I used to have a race magnum on it back in the day, but it was alot louder then.

GLHNSLHT2
10-01-2009, 12:25 AM
I might have to try one on my Yorker.

87yorker
10-01-2009, 12:41 AM
hummmm. to give you a guys a idea, i love the way the SRT4 sounds with aftermarket exhaust, thats what im going for

contraption22
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
hummmm. to give you a guys a idea, i love the way the SRT4 sounds with aftermarket exhaust, thats what im going for

There are many different exhausts available from the SRT-4's. Some range from having Camaro/Firebird style mufflers, and many more have no mufflers at all, still others are single exit, or even side exit.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Is this an automatic? if so, selection will make a huge affect on drone due to the stupid RPM's we run on the highway.

87yorker
10-01-2009, 10:23 PM
yeah auto

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 04:16 AM
yeah auto

If you don't care about drone, then pick any muffler you want. If you care, then pick the biggest muffler you can fit under and you might need to run a glasspack was well.

ShadowFromHell
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Ive been wanting to open up the exhaust on my yorker, and I was thinking 2.5 side exit with a 30+in glass pack. Would this be reasonably quiet?

contraption22
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Ive been wanting to open up the exhaust on my yorker, and I was thinking 2.5 side exit with a 30+in glass pack. Would this be reasonably quiet?

Nope.

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Side exits are louder. :o but drone less, :thumb:

Chad T
10-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I used this big ole 5X8X18 straight through magnaflow on the Omni. It's center-in/offset-out so that might make it a bit quieter. It's pretty quiet.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/83653-1/magnaflow.JPG

Tilted it so it tucked up under the car.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/84806-1/exhaust6.JPG

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/84840-1/tip2.JPG

I love the way it sounds but might be too quiet for some. Here is a clip of it idling in the garage and reving a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhDMaUki88

GLHNSLHT2
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
that looks like it fits nicely in there and puts the pipe right in the cutout of the rear valance. If I still was going to run a FWD Omni I'd use that muffler.

Chad T
10-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks! Yeah it fits right in the cutout.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/84673-1/exhaust1.JPG

The guy who did it did a real nice job even though he didn't think the exhaust would fit on the Omni. I really had to beg him to do it.

I copied the offset muffler idea from Carrol's GLHS #001.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/teamshelby/CarrollsGLHS1.jpg?t=1231901636

Force Fed Mopar
10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I like the round Walker UltraFlo that was on my GLHS, rear exit. Loud enough to hear at highway speed, no drone, not too loud at idle. It had a nice deep rumble that would set off car alarms next to me :D Dunno if they are still available or not, probably Magnaflow has something similar. It was a 3" center in/out w/ about a 8" case, straight-through style. An Apexi N1 is very similar and would work well and probably sound the same, more expensive though.

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I like the round Walker UltraFlo that was on my GLHS, rear exit. Loud enough to hear at highway speed, no drone, not too loud at idle. It had a nice deep rumble that would set off car alarms next to me :D Dunno if they are still available or not, probably Magnaflow has something similar. It was a 3" center in/out w/ about a 8" case, straight-through style. An Apexi N1 is very similar and would work well and probably sound the same, more expensive though.

They are still available, I have one on the van.

87yorker
10-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Nope to quite but dose sound good for quite :)

badandy
10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm gonna get flammed for this one....but...

By far the best sounding muffler I've ever heard on any TD was a Flowmaster 2 chamber...I used a 3 chamber back then which also sounded badass. If you are in search of every last hp go straight through no doubt. If you are after a compromise don't completely rule out those boat anchors...I mean chambered mufflers :o

turbovanmanČ
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm gonna get flammed for this one....but...

By far the best sounding muffler I've ever heard on any TD was a Flowmaster 2 chamber...I used a 3 chamber back then which also sounded badass. If you are in search of every last hp go straight through no doubt. If you are after a compromise don't completely rule out those boat anchors...I mean chambered mufflers :o

I agree, I had a 3 chamber on and sounded mean but then I put a Super40 on, it sounded AWESOME, :thumb: